Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > I Used To Like Google

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

I didn't even know people used google shopping.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
Can you PM me how you found the street level view of your house? I'm curious to see if mine is on there.
Using either google maps, or google earth. You can also find it using different search engines, I found mine using yahoo.

Many search engines that have maps will have a street view.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
Didn't like google the first time I found street level pictures of my house on line for the whole world to see.
Total violation of privacy,and a possible boon to stalkers/thieves/robbers/home invaders,etc.

Google also saves your searches,attached to your IP address (and I'm sure other identifiers) for a long time.

So google is not a contributor to the resolution of what I personally see as a problem with privacy and the individual,inalienable right to such (no,its not DIRECTLY in the Bill of Rights,but please read the 9th amendment),rather,google is part of the problem.

So I dropped google.

I now use,and advocate for the use of:

https://ixquick.com/

https://startpage.com/

both are from the same people,both are privacy oriented,with startpage being "google enhanced"- so in effect,you get everything thats good about google -namely the powerful searches- without all the privacy invading crap.

Except for the pictures of your house online.

Those will be there until someone gets a court to make google stop that crap.

Google sucks.
Violation of what privacy? Can't be used to see who lives there, can't be used to see inside, can't be used to see if there is anything of value that was sold to that address OR is being stored there. So, if someone were going to rob/invade your house, they won't need to use the street view setting. Same thing with stalkers, odds are, they ALREADY know where you live (they ARE stalkers, after all). Use a lil bit of common sense and logical reasoning here.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
I didn't even know people used google shopping.
I use amazon for most of my shopping.

But, if I can't find what I'm looking for, I do a Google search (I've never used the shopping tab until these stupid threads came up).

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #45

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
Violation of what privacy? Can't be used to see who lives there, can't be used to see inside, can't be used to see if there is anything of value that was sold to that address OR is being stored there. So, if someone were going to rob/invade your house, they won't need to use the street view setting. Same thing with stalkers, odds are, they ALREADY know where you live (they ARE stalkers, after all). Use a lil bit of common sense and logical reasoning here.
Speaking of common sense and logic....

If I was a thief I wouldn't bother spending the gas money to case neighborhoods anymore,because I could see who's got nice homes from the comfort of my sitting room.

If I was a stalker I could check out the best places to hide on my targets property without having to actually risk going there and looking it over for myself,exposing me to possible arrest,a restraining order,public awareness of my little stalking problem etc.

If I was an armed home invader I could study my target-locate entry and exit points,see if theres any visible signs of security and/or reinforcement such as bars,placards in the yard,steel doors,etc.

In each scenario,I may not be able to gain 100% of the information I wanted to,but its all good.Cause the information I have from google is a very good start.And its super easy to get.

One of the primary ways someone plans to assault a location is by gathering as much information as possible,and sure,they can do that by sitting outside your house and watching.But now,they don't have to.
All they have to do is look your house up on Google maps and *poof*,they can study the outside layout,determine the best approach,where there might be a hidden access point (a place they can break in without having to expose themselves to random observation)- all without having to expose themselves by sitting on your curb taking the pictures themselves.

Because Google makes it easier.With google streetview,I can see every window,every door,your neighbors and their proximity,your street and the lights that may or may not illuminate it at night..........

Couple that with the information everyone seems so readily willing to post on twitter,CIASpace(myspace),and FBIBook(facebook),information of a PERSONAL nature that when I was growing up people wouldn't go out and post all over the neighborhood,but are now willing to tell the whole world........

I,myself,once had a stalker get turned on to my wife from her facebook account.Its no fun getting calls at 12am from creeps talking about doing "crazy stuff" to your old lady.
Nor is it any fun getting 3 or 4 hours of sleep every night for weeks keeping your eye out for said creep.

There have been cases where there are people who rob other people when they post on twitter that they're gone on vacation.

I'll tell you what.

Give me your address and I'll look it up on google maps.

Not only will I be able to tell alot about you just based on the outside of your house,but I can tell you in broad strokes exactly where and when someone might try to get into your house,simply based on the pictures I can find on google- oh,and whether or not its even worth the time.

No point breaking into homes that aren't worth money,because homes that are worth money usually mean theres good stuff inside.

Thieves used to have to case neighborhoods by driving around in them to see where they want to target next.

Now,they can do it from the comfort of their own homes.

Thanks to google maps.

People really need to take better care of their privacy.Unfortunately,with google maps,you don't get to have a say in whether or not your very own home is made available pictorially for the whole world to see.

And thats not right.

In fact,its bull****.

PS-
In todays day and age,the question "what privacy" is pretty valid,because we really have none.
Despite privacy being one of those "implied rights" the 9th Amendment is all about.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 07-13-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #46

Liked 1018 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post

Thieves used to have to case neighborhoods by driving around in them to see where they want to target next.

Now,they can do it from the comfort of their own homes.

Thanks to google maps.
Thieves used to have to walk around or ride a horse to case a neighborhood.

Now they can do it from the comfort of their car.

Thanks to Ford.

Most advances in technology have both positive and negative uses but it doesn't mean we shouldn't use them or have access to them just because they can be abused.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would think a professional thief would want more up-to-date information than what is on googlearth and such; some of the images of my area are quite dated.

If street-level views bother you, you should probably go to spokeo.com and all the other similar websites and use the option that allows you to request that they remove your address, usernames, emails, telephone numbers, etc. from their search results. I did on spokeo, but i'm sure there are other better resources available.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #48

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Its been an uphill battle to get all of our personal information removed from the web,after the one incident I described above.

I agree with what you saying Yunus,but google is still intentionally abusing technology to see how far it can get away with going into peoples private lives.
I'm not ready to declare google's street view as utilitarian or as benign an invention as the automobile.
IMHO,its another brick in the wall of the growing Surveillance State.

Check this out.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 07-13-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #49

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

The investigator to the Robbery or Assault can look up who was doing Internet searches on the place... It cuts both ways.

In the Casey Anthony murder trial, part of the trial was who searching "chloroform".

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP