I Used To Like Google - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

I Used To Like Google

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Maybe I missed it, but when was this going into effect?

Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I just went into Google shopping and did a search for guns and knives and I got results.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #13

Liked 1415 Times on 837 Posts
Likes Given: 437

This only applies to "Google Shopping" previously known as froogle. Google search still provides unbiased results, in fact google is known for not modifying their search algorithm even when pressured to do so. They were wary of even temporarily inserting false results for a ridiculous search that no human would do in an attempt to demonstrate that Bing was using google to provide results. http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-02/tech/google.bing.sting_1_experian-hitwise-google-engineers-search-engine?_s=PM:TECH

Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #14

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I droped Google and went exclusively to Bing several months back over their cooperation with HSA.

Don't use Google.

Tack

Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #15

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

There are 39,000+ members on this board, one would think that if they all did a letter writing campain to Google then Google might stand up and take a look at what they are doing.
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 07-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #16

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamamasami View Post
I just googled 5.56 ammo and it gave me loads of places to shop and tons of ammo. Someone yanking someone's chain. Google for yourselves.
It's not the google search in general. Just the Google chopping links. Sellers pay to get their ads pushed up and to be able to use google shopping. Basically they just lose the money of gun and acc. sellers. Don't seem like good business to me.

If you don't want to use google anymore though there are a few pretty good search engines to use. The two I linked in the earlier post I used to use before I used Google and still do pretty often.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #17

Liked 221 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 87

This seems to be rather uneven. My search results in Google Shopping are giving me almost zero. For example, a search vor .30-06 ammunition takes me to a page that says there are 77 sellers, but when I click on the button to compare prices, it says there are no sellers. It is giving out one vendor at best for other searches, and those could be Cabela's or Cheaper Than Dirt. I have been using the google provided search terms that appear as a drop-down list of suggestions. I posted this on another hobby site (for cars) and those guys have no trouble at all getting lots of hits in Google Shopping. At this point, I have no clue as to why some of us are blocked and others are not.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #18

Liked 841 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 256

I guess I do not see the what the big deal is. Google is a private entity they can do what they want. We as private parties can do what we want(use Google or not). Those yelling about this- What do you want, some kind of government intervention? If you want to be free, I suggest that you let people that disagree with you to be free also.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

There doesn't appear to be much change with regular google at all.

froogle (a.k.a google shopping) returned three hits for me just now for "5.56 nato" and nothing unrelated to my query. I never use this, so I can't say if this is better or worse than normal. But if DID come back with options for me.

There may be some reasons to dislike google but this may not be one of them. If there's an issue with google and ammo, the writers of the article did a pizz-poor job of proving their point.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #20

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I guess I do not see the what the big deal is. Google is a private entity they can do what they want. We as private parties can do what we want(use Google or not). Those yelling about this- What do you want, some kind of government intervention? If you want to be free, I suggest that you let people that disagree with you to be free also.
I guess if you are real big into Google shopping this might be an issue. Personally I don't like sponsored links no matter the source (people paying to get their ads higher in a search does not make them a better choice) and don't use things like Google shopping. So the regular search is just fine and it still gives all the results it did before. Though I guess I see the point about them not allowing evil gun stuff in their sponsored links but that is just less money in Google's pockets be not taking,money from evil gun people.

If it's a problem just use another search engine. There are tons of them and some are just as good as Google. I used to use Google a lot more before it was so huge and things like gmail was being beta tested and by invite only. Still do on my android phone just because it's there and I do still have my prehistoric gmail account.

You're right though. People can not expect Google to bow down to anyone and no way the government should intervene. But I think it has more to do with people being upset about a company and their not gun friendly policy. If this is the case then they should not use Google and speak with their wallet.