I propose this change to 2A... - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

I propose this change to 2A...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
It could not possibly be a serious debate because you insist on calling anyone who points out the flaws in your cryptic, passive-aggressive arguments a Liberal. Dude, you are not always correct in your reasoning. Calling everybody else a liberal will not win your argument.
I agree. But it definitely ups the "popcorn" factor for me. I have to say, I was very confused for a minute when I saw the word liberal getting thrown around and who it was getting thrown at.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-30-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #102
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1051 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
a "stalemate of contradictions"...lol! that is also called a compromise, stalker. does the word bother you for some reason? i mean its much easier to say....

well, i would normally think that change in the face of strong criticism and pressure normally equals a compromise or settlement.

federalists did not think a BOR was needed.....states and anti-federalists fought and protested....a BOR was promised in the constitution to ratify the document.

it was compromise because the anti-federalists DID NOT WANT the constitution AT ALL! their efforts did not stop the constitution, but led to the BOR included in it. both sides got something without either side getting exactly what they wanted. compromise.

heh....on a side note, the civil war was fought over economy more than anything else. dang those yankees telling us we can't exploit africans anymore....if you want to pull out the civil war, don't forget the civil rights movement, or women's suffrage.... the battle rages on to this day about federal vs state vs power. of the people (though admittedly none as drastic as the civil war). texas just lost a battle regarding abortion in a state vs federal case.

that is never ending, but has little to do with how the BOR was a compromise between two feuding parties in our country. highly unlikely the constitution would have ever been ratified w/o the promise of bill of rights, which yes....was enacted a bit later.

no liberal...no twisting...just history.
I am trying to remember where I read much of this, I think it was a biography of James Madison. He did not believe the bill of rights was necessary because those are God given rights that couldn't be restricted by governments, and free people would not ever elect a government that would try.

As for compromise it was more "my way or else". One of the pieces you quoted mentions that some states put language into their "articles of acceptance" for the constitution (I made that term up I don't know what they called those documents.) mentioning a bill of rights.

Some of those documents stated that without a bill of rights their acceptance of the constitution would be void. I am pretty sure Va. and NY were among these.
People Like This 
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #103

Liked 4801 Times on 2685 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

F4U, Yes you are correct. The Liberals continue to argue that the country has always compromised. They may be correct the leftest using this ploy has destroyed New York and California.
The people who argue this point the most are from these left leaning states. The Liberals are leaving California by the thousands and spreading this Left coast disease across the Nation.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #104
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1051 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
F4U, Yes you are correct. The Liberals continue to argue that the country has always compromised. They may be correct the leftest using this ploy has destroyed New York and California.
The people who argue this point the most are from these left leaning states. The Liberals are leaving California by the thousands and spreading this Left coast disease across the Nation.
Not going there.

While I don't think wiki is totally reliable source for this type of stuff. At the moment I haven't located my sources either. I will keep looking through what books I have but it is possible that I got this info is from books I borrowed from the library. I am pretty sure it is the Madison biography I mentioned earlier and that one was from the library. That means it will be a while before until I can site my actual sources.

I wouldn't expect anybody to take my unsupported word for this any more than I would take theirs.

Back to my bookshelves!

Last edited by F4U; 10-30-2013 at 11:48 PM.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #105

Liked 3343 Times on 1996 Posts
Likes Given: 2534

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Not going there.

While I don't think wiki is totally reliable source for this type of stuff. At the moment I haven't located my sources either. I will keep looking through what books I have but it is possible that I got this info is from books I borrowed from the library. I am pretty sure it is the Madison biography I mentioned earlier and that one was from the library. That means it will be a while before until I can site my actual sources.

I wouldn't expect anybody to take my unsupported word for this any more than I would take theirs.

Back to my bookshelves!
i'm here to learn as well as discuss. I've been wrong many times before, if it helps me learn that is a good thing.

sounds like you have researched the subject a bit more then myself.

I know wiki is not a 100% reliable source, but honestly it is usually pretty good (I only used it cause it is good for a quick check). I checked 2 other sources and the overall impression I got was the anti-federalists were basically against the constitution being ratified. the (promise of) inclusion of a BOR was the only thing that persuaded them jump on the wagon so to speak. were both parities involved in a power struggle? I think so....but the fact that the federalists got a constitution and the anti-federalists got the BOR is why I call it a compromise overall. I suppose this could be somewhat subjective.

thanks for the info you have brought to the table.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
I am trying to remember where I read much of this, I think it was a biography of James Madison. He did not believe the bill of rights was necessary because those are God given rights that couldn't be restricted by governments, and free people would not ever elect a government that would try.

As for compromise it was more "my way or else". One of the pieces you quoted mentions that some states put language into their "articles of acceptance" for the constitution (I made that term up I don't know what they called those documents.) mentioning a bill of rights.

Some of those documents stated that without a bill of rights their acceptance of the constitution would be void. I am pretty sure Va. and NY were among these.
I agree and this is basically the point I am trying to make. were these guys nice and sharing? I doubt it. but they were opposite minded people who came to an eventual agreement.

one group didn't want the constitution at all....the other thought a BOR was unnecessary. the end agreement (or compromise) was a constitution with a BOR. this is my interpretation.....and I think what you have stated is more or less in agreement.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Now you are using sophomoric reasoning. Your liberal education and resorting to the "Yankee" and us slave owners against the world BS. What kind of serious debate is this?
The Liberals always argue just don't resist let us compromise. I can assure you the left wing Democrats would disarm the Nation if we followed your theory.
compromise imo is both parties getting what they want and giving in a little as well. the democrats recent policies are not what I generally call compromise. of course the same could be said for most republicans imo.

as for the civil war, I didn't intend to bring it up. and I will not elaborate any further, unless we do a civil war thread.

this is drifting a bit, probably a bit my fault.

it just seems every time we debate, my opinions or comments make you mad and you start calling me liberal or liberal minded....let's just agree to disagree in this thread, because honestly it is not a useful discussion between us anymore at this point.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #108

Liked 4801 Times on 2685 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Accusing some one of being "Mad" ? I will ignore that remark. The Liberal tactics of the past 50 years has been, Conservatives refuse to negotiate. This negotiating has led to the controls over silencers, auto-matic weapons handguns etc. After years of negotiating gun owners are left with over 20,000 laws affecting their interest. Will I agree to negotiating on the 2nd Amendment? Hell no.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #109
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

The republicans compromise too dang much. What we need is someone to swing us fiscally WAY back to the right. But all the republicans want to do is whine and compromise.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #110
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1930 Times on 1125 Posts
Likes Given: 4686

I agree 100% to this. Remove Boehner (sp) and put Cantor in his place. Then we might see a Speaker with a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
The republicans compromise too dang much. What we need is someone to swing us fiscally WAY back to the right. But all the republicans want to do is whine and compromise.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur