Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > I need some information for transporting firearms on (international) flights.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 969 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Default I need some information for transporting firearms on (international) flights.

Im a bit confused on the transportation of firearms on airplanes . Im sure with some restrictions you can take them with you anywhere in the usa , BUT how would you carry your safari gun to a big game hunt in africa ? One of my customers told me that you cant carry on international flights . Im sure other have wondered the same . Im also sure the title got some attention

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Last edited by canebrake; 06-16-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've never flown international with guns but there a a bunch of hunters that have taken their guns on African safari's, so there has to be some policy with the airlines that service those locations.

http://www.grootpan.com/general/information-on-importation-of-firearms-into-south-africa

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 06-16-2011 at 10:10 PM.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8444 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Yes, you can have firearms as checked baggage on international flights. Howsomever- you beter touch second bases first.

You are not EXPORTING a firearm, since you will be retaining ownership of it, and returning with it, but you WILL need to contact US Customs ahead of time, and get a Form 4457 (Certificate of Registration of Personal Effects Taken Abroad). You will need that twice- first for South African Police as proof of "registration", and second, to get your gun BACK into the US.

Website for TSA and for your airline will have some info on firearms and ammo.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #4

I talked to a safari pistol hunter while at work and I had similar questions. What he told me was that he simply had a company that was able to get him the permits he needed and they handled the transportation of the weapon.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Yes, you can have firearms as checked baggage on international flights. Howsomever- you beter touch second bases first.

You are not EXPORTING a firearm, since you will be retaining ownership of it, and returning with it, but you WILL need to contact US Customs ahead of time, and get a Form 4457 (Certificate of Registration of Personal Effects Taken Abroad). You will need that twice- first for South African Police as proof of "registration", and second, to get your gun BACK into the US.

Website for TSA and for your airline will have some info on firearms and ammo.
If anyone needs a 4457 I'll be glad to send you some, You will need to go to a Port of Entry (international airport, Canada or Mexico land border) with the weapon and have Customs examine the weapon to ensure the S/N are the same as on the 4457 then Customs will sign and date it.

Scubie

Old 06-17-2011, 04:41 AM   #6

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

See, all you need to do is ask! God I love this place!

Now I've got to go and set up my deep African savanna safari!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello