Originally Posted by chrisrhodes1110
I was recently stopped, disarmed, questioned, and searched by police for the sole reason that I was carrying a rifle on my back. I broke no laws and was driven home by the police.
This is a clear violation of what is considered justified Terry search. Does anyone know any aggressive civil liberties attorneys that would want to take up a case like this?
I live in Vermont and have called multiple law offices with no luck, people don't even know where to point me.
Let's look at the facts.
1. You were walking down the street with an "assault rifle" and scared the beejeezus out of Ma and Pa Kettle.
2. The Kettles called the cops, and naturally, the cops responded.
3. On arrival the cops disarmed you of the obvious weapon and patted you down for other weapons.
4. The cops questioned you in what appears to be full compliance with Terry to see if a crime had been committed.
5. The cops assured you that you were not guilty of any crime they could think of and gave you a ride home, probably to make sure they didn't get another 42 calls on the "gunslinger with an assault rifle". While doing this they probably broke quite a few of their department policies by allowing you to ride in the front seat.
6. They returned your firearm.
I don't see where you have a case, but I wish you good luck if you decide to pursue it. As far as getting the record removed, lottsa luck. It ain't gonna happen if it went anywhere beyond the local level.
I know roughly what your local laws are, but did you ever consider calling the cops before hand to give them a heads up? It might have saved you a bunch of trouble. People are scared spitless right now, and if they call the cops, the cops must respond.