I just got "delayed". Advice?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > I just got "delayed". Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I just got "delayed". Advice?

I just went to pick up a rifle I ordered. Thee FFL holder called NCIS and they told him that I was delayed? This hasn't happened before. Should I be concerned?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hmmm. We have had that happen a couple of times in the shop - but I can't remember it happening on a "rifle" - Now, it has happened on an AR that we sold, but not on one of the hunting / target rifles.

The couple of times I remember, it was no big deal and the approval came through in the next couple of days. I can't think of any time we were "delayed" and then told "no, can't have it".

We have had a couple "No's" right off the bat, and the guys in question knew ahead of time that might happen, so it wasn't much of a surprise to them.

They might just be busy with all the recent purchases due to the election coming up. They may have people out on vacation, it is summer after all.

Or you could be tied to the Unabomber and they want to be there when you return to pick up the rifle, but I kind of doubt it.

If you are sure you are clean, then it's probably just a processing thing and the approval will roll in over the next couple of days.

if you have any doubts, wander down to your local PD and ask them to run you for wants and warrants. I would have someone with you, just in case, but that would tell you right away if there is anything wrong.

JD

Old 08-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #3

I met a guy when buying a gun years ago that told me he was always delayed when buying a gun due to his name being so common and there were people with it that did indeed did have criminal records so it took the NICS people time to sort out which one he was .

I Found out years ago that just within the county I live there are about 5 other people with my same first and last name despite it being rather unusual and infamous but the middle names were different .

When they started the NICS deal I made sure that since I named my 1st born son Junior I always put Senior "SR" when I sign anything and was told that all complete info like that will help in avoiding delays .

I have also been told that many who have recently been discharged from military service often get delayed .

Old 08-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I alwas get held up.

Why well it turns out that my ssn is one number different from a guy that deserted from the Navy. My number is 6XX-XX-XXXX his number is 5XX-XX-XXXX. The x's in both are exactly the same. So I figure that being so close is why I get help up a little each time.

There is a way to go about finding out what is holding you up and taking care of it. Might want to visit the NICS web site.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Hmmm. We have had that happen a couple of times in the shop - but I can't remember it happening on a "rifle" - Now, it has happened on an AR that we sold, but not on one of the hunting / target rifles.
That's weird. The NICS checks I've had just qualify the firearm as a "long gun" with no other description. Shotgun, hunting rifle, BMG...doesn't matter.

kevlar, go back and try again in a day or so. Maybe they were busy. Like others have said, your name could be the cause or maybe they were understaffed or there was a delay due to technical problems. If you have purchased other firearms and don't have any criminal record, you should be fine.

It does suck hard and leave a bruise that we have to ask permission to exercise our 2A rights, doesn't it?

Old 08-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That's weird. The NICS checks I've had just qualify the firearm as a "long gun" with no other description. Shotgun, hunting rifle, BMG...doesn't matter.
We have to qualify the weapon when we call it in. It's question 4 or 5, I can't remember, but it goes like this:

"Type of firearm being requested?"

"Rifle"

"Configuration of Rifle being requested?"

"Hunting / Shotgun / etc. "

Frequently for all our tactical stuff, we just say "custom rifle" or "hunting/other"

JD

Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Kevlar, did you give your ssn when you attempted the purchase? As it's optional to give it, I wonder if some people who are delayed would get through if they provided their ssn. I don't care to be possibly delayed, so I always provide my ssn. I was getting a background check for a job and was informed I was possibly a drug dealing felon. Turns out someone with my first name but different middle name was caught dealing drugs. A quick trip to the muni court cleared it up, but I figure I'll give my ssn from now on when buying guns to avoid the guy's name from popping up on the database.

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

that be wierd
when i call in a 4473 as does everybody the questions are the same, we give there name, date of birth, height, weight, state they born in,ssn, state of residency, country of citizenship then they ask type of firearm, only 3 choices handgun, long gun, or both,
which 4473 do you have that ask those questions about the gun? and even that question is the last one on the form they check before they give ya a answer
maybe your states be different hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by Righteous; 08-15-2008 at 03:46 AM.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #9

^ Don't know. We don't sell many pre-made weapons. We sell ones that are assembled / manufactured by us, usually out of state. *shrug*

While I haven't made a call in a couple of months, I am sure I have had to answer the questions this year on call ins.

JD

Old 08-16-2008, 01:47 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hell I call in so many in a day they know me by my voice and I know them by theres LOL
One chick named Willow.....OMG she sounds so sexy