Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   I guess pigs do fly (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/i-guess-pigs-do-fly-93091/)

Jagermeister 06-29-2013 05:45 AM

I guess pigs do fly

Illinois citizens will be able to fight back on the streets of Chicago. This will make a great case study too.

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-prepares-concealed-carry-gun-law-193704212.html

DrumJunkie 06-29-2013 05:48 AM

I just hope the first ones to actually use a CCW for self defense get a fair shake when they use their weapon. And are not steamrolled and portrayed as evil gun toting killers.

Mason609 06-29-2013 06:50 AM

Read the article. Superintendent Garry McCarthy is a freaking idiot - calls "a requirement that people go through only 16 hours of training before they are issued a concealed carry permit "woefully inadequate" because about the only thing people can learn in that time is how to "point and fire a weapon" and not when they can legally do so.

"Our officers receive six months of training in the police academy and then three months on the streets and at the end of the day we make mistakes frequently," he said."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the majority of academy time spent on class room related material and "real life" scenarios and only a little amount of time spent on firearms training? To me, 16 hours is more than enough time to go over safety, hands on as well as live fire - with plenty of time to go over "shoot - don't shoot" scenarios.

Rick1967 06-29-2013 07:09 AM

16 hours is a rediculous amount of time. How long does it take to understand...

Every gun is loaded,
Finger off the trigger until sights are on the target,
Dont point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy,
Be sure of your target and what is behind it.

A couple hours in a classroom to learn when you are and are not allowed to shoot, and a trip to the range with 100 rounds of ammo. If that is not enough to make you as safe with a gun as a cop, then you probably should buy a bat instead!

DrumJunkie 06-29-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason609 (Post 1289943)
Read the article. Superintendent Garry McCarthy is a freaking idiot - calls "a requirement that people go through only 16 hours of training before they are issued a concealed carry permit "woefully inadequate" because about the only thing people can learn in that time is how to "point and fire a weapon" and not when they can legally do so.

"Our officers receive six months of training in the police academy and then three months on the streets and at the end of the day we make mistakes frequently," he said."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the majority of academy time spent on class room related material and "real life" scenarios and only a little amount of time spent on firearms training? To me, 16 hours is more than enough time to go over safety, hands on as well as live fire - with plenty of time to go over "shoot - don't shoot" scenarios.

And the stage is set to allow a few law abiding citizens fall for the cause of reestablishing gun control in the state.

sbeezy 06-29-2013 08:20 AM

Lol I like the part where the cook county sheriff says he's worried about gang members getting permits. Because we all know gang members are notorious for following the law being sticklers for proper permission.

DrumJunkie 06-29-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbeezy (Post 1289971)
Lol I like the part where the cook county sheriff says he's worried about gang members getting permits. Because we all know gang members are notorious for following the law being sticklers for proper permission.

That's how Cali keeps the streets clean. The gang members have a much harder time getting a permit so they can't have their guns with them...:rolleyes:

Man I almost choked on that just reading my own typing...

locutus 06-29-2013 02:33 PM

For the 10 years that I taught CCW courses sponsored by my department, we used a basic 12 hour course.

2 hours classroom gun safety, maintenance, identification and and operation

2 hours "laws of self defense and deadly force" (taught by a local judge, BTW) I hour lecture, one hour Q&A

8 hours range time ( 200 rounds) concealment and cover was taught here.

We used standard FBI "Q" targets.

We also offered an 18 hour "advanced" course, all range time, 600 rounds over 6 evenings for those that were interested. (90 percent or more came back for the advanced course:))

In advanced, we used 1/2 "Q" targets and 1/2 Speedwell realistic targets. I strongly recommend the Speedwell realistics for advanced training.

JWagner 06-29-2013 05:00 PM

Why is it that every time a state changes its concealed carry laws, the "experts" always predict disaster and "blood in the streets", without ever looking at the states that have successfully changed their laws already? And a further fact is that concealed permit holders are very under-represented in crime stats. They always ignore reality and experience.

Mason609 06-29-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWagner (Post 1290254)
Why is it that every time a state changes its concealed carry laws, the "experts" always predict disaster and "blood in the streets", without ever looking at the states that have successfully changed their laws already? And a further fact is that concealed permit holders are very under-represented in crime stats. They always ignore reality and experience.

They ignore the facts because they are not in the anti's favor and will make them look bad.