I didnt pay attention in Govt class
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > I didnt pay attention in Govt class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 82 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default I didnt pay attention in Govt class

Forgive me for my ignorance on the subject but apparently all of my friends and coworkers are just as dumb as I am.

So my question is this: Under federal law marijuana is illegal correct? But it can be made legal in a state through state legislation?

So ultimately, if it were to become a federal law that you can't own a sporting rifle (I'm not saying it will. I was just curious on the subject.) could that then be overridden by state legislation to make it legal in that state?

This is purely hypothetical. I'm just trying to educate myself and didn't have much luck finding the answer on google.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #2

Liked 397 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 71

In short terms. No. Its my understanding that federal law will always supersede state law. Pot being legalized in a particular state going against federal law is actually not suppose to happen. But it would be entirely ridiculous and expensive for the federal government to implement an entire force to catch college kids with a dime bag in a particular state. Guns on the other hand, they do care about. A lot. So they might be willing to use federal people to enforce those laws. The only way to truly escape the federal law as a state is to secede. Not that i recommend it, but it is the only 100% way to escape. Like abstinence. Hope this answers your question.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

People Like This 
Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6325 Times on 3538 Posts
Likes Given: 5903

Correct. The Caliph hates gun owners, but he loves dopers. They helped elect him.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 01-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2289 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

The blue states (CO pleasure) that have passed marijuana laws are getting a blind eye from the feds. The red states (AZ medical) have been told the laws would be enforced. Would you call that favoritism? I still think our governor used the wrong finger.

wrong-finger.jpg  

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

People Like This 
Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #5

Liked 4445 Times on 2202 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Yes, but a state could potentially make it a NIGHTMARE for the feds...and good.
especially if a state if sore at the federal govt.
Look at Arizona. The feds are pissing all over Arizona with the immigration issue, so Arizona is pissing back. Expect more states to tell the feds to F off.
Yeah, federal might hold SOME supremacy over states, but states can tie up the feds, etc...

What I'd LOVE to see, is the feds swoop in and throw those pot smoking morons in federal prison, and maybe give them an education on why there is a separation of powers... so those MORONS quit electing statists like Obama.

And Obama has been one of the LEAST pot friendly presidents ever... but don't expect morons who get their only news from the communist lapdog msm to know that.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #6

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Even though federal law supercedes state law, the federal government is not going to spend the money or the manpower to go after potheads. State law falls under the sheriff's duties and if state law legalizes marijuana, the sheriff will not enforce those federal laws.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #7

Liked 82 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Yep. That was the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

And I agree, it would not be wise for a state to secede. I think many people don't fully understand what it means for a state to secede. That would only be successful in a scenario where people were actually united and EVERYONE worked to earn there keep.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Here in the beautiful state of Colorado (and I AM being serious) many county prosecutors dropped a number of cases regarding possession of weed the day after the election.

As was mentioned before, the DEA would have to start going after weed possession cases. The locals aren't going to go after them. The DA's won't prosecute.

So, the DEA is likely to continue doing... well, whatever it is they do.

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2029 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Another problem the federal government runs into when states decide to buck federal law is there is no local cooperation. The federal government is powerful but it needs the aid of the local government to do anything wide sweeping. Look at CA. The Federal government did try to bust pot dispensaries under the Obama administration. They ran into a huge roadblock. The only local information they were able to get was from Diane Sawyer's interviews.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #10

Liked 1609 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Yes, but a state could potentially make it a NIGHTMARE for the feds...and good.
especially if a state if sore at the federal govt.
Look at Arizona. The feds are pissing all over Arizona with the immigration issue, so Arizona is pissing back. Expect more states to tell the feds to F off.
Yeah, federal might hold SOME supremacy over states, but states can tie up the feds, etc...

What I'd LOVE to see, is the feds swoop in and throw those pot smoking morons in federal prison, and maybe give them an education on why there is a separation of powers... so those MORONS quit electing statists like Obama.

And Obama has been one of the LEAST pot friendly presidents ever... but don't expect morons who get their only news from the communist lapdog msm to know that.
States rights ended with the surrender at Appomattox.

If the Federal government wishes to enforce any law, they have the resources to handle it. A lot of conservative gun owners like to brag that "we have the guns". By that same standard, the big guns belong to the Army and the Government that issues their orders. When the tiger is tired of getting it's chains rattled, it can become nasty. Ask the ghosts of Waco.

As long as the government controls air power, tanks, APCs, artillery, drones, battleships and silly stuff like that, they can make the decisions as to what laws they want to enforce and who they wish to enforce it on. Those old boys can take you out in your mountain bunker hide-out from the airconditioned comfort of a drone driver's computer from 10,000 miles away.

That is exactly why politics are a hell of a sight better way to solve our issues with the government than threats.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan