Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > I was "delayed" for a rifle purchase.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I was "delayed" for a rifle purchase.

I went to pick up the Savage rifle today but I could not get it. The dealer said I am being "delayed". Is this a bad thing? I read online that they are most likely running a background check, is that true? BTW I live in Misouri.

Prior Mistameanors(sp??) as a juvenile are

Assualt-got in a fight at school
A couple of possesion of marijuana tickets while in high school
speeding tickets(they were all fixed by an attorney)

No arrest as an adult

Do any of the above incidents have anything to do with the delay?

Last edited by Doug1627; 02-26-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yeah, that can happen. If you have any priors or if the system is down or really slow, they'll flag a 'delay' and you might have to come back in a day or three. This happened to me when I bought my last rifle. The guy behind the counter called again after a few minutes and my NICS check went right through.

It sucks though, doesn't it?

It's a really good thing we don't need someone calling in and verifying that we may post information on forums like this. Yet.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Yeah, that can happen. If you have any priors or if the system is down or really slow, they'll flag a 'delay' and you might have to come back in a day or three. This happened to me when I bought my last rifle. The guy behind the counter called again after a few minutes and my NICS check went right through.

It sucks though, doesn't it?

It's a really good thing we don't need someone calling in and verifying that we may post information on forums like this. Yet.
Sucks badly, I was so excited to get the rifle. A buddy and I had plans to try out our new firearms this weekend. He just picked up an m-4 carbine and Kimber 1911. Hopefully the NICS check will done in time to still do so.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

when i call the NICS I give the info to the first agent, she runs the check, if a flag comes up and she cant get the info then they transfer you to the FBI folks who do another check on there systems, if there still not enough information to proceed you they delay you and give your request a case number and someone will invesgate it, can take few mins up to few weeks. Sometimes if your not suspose to have one and get denied the FBI calls me back and gets your address and phone number and yes this happens alot.
If your really bad the FBI shows up at the store and takes the 4473 lol have has this happen a few times also. Once we run the first check theres nothing you can do to speed them up, they will not accept any more info aka: left your SSC# off and want to give it then they wont take it, they will not give any info other then telling me the status of your 4473.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #5

Have you been "delayed" or "denied" previously? How many firearms have you purchased from a dealer in the last 30 days? A delay can sometimes be because someone with a felony has a similar name/vitals. Providing your SS# can usually eliminate this possibility, but most people choose not to provide it as it is not mandatory. Righteous, you've had the feds show up at your place of business because of a "Deny"? Wow, glad that has never happened to me. The once a year inspections are enough of an inconvenience.

"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us“ ...... Patrick Henry March 23, 1775

Last edited by scoutman; 02-27-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #6

Giving your social security number solves many a delay and confusion......we all know how easily the FBI gets confused !

They dont store your SS#..it is erased..thats part of the Brady Law !

Old 02-27-2008, 02:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
Giving your social security number solves many a delay and confusion......we all know how easily the FBI gets confused !

Just because it's part of the law dosen't mean anything nowadays. I still wouldn't trust them because they ARE they law and make their own rules.
I have a friend in NH who has held an FFL for many years and he outright stopped selling guns when the NICS check system went into effect. His reason was because he refused to give anybodys info to the FBI because he dosen't trust them. BTW, he's a former military special ops guy who knows a thing or two about how the government really works.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 02-27-2008, 02:40 AM   #8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug1627 View Post
I went to pick up the Savage rifle today but I could not get it. The dealer said I am being "delayed". Is this a bad thing?
Well, I don't see how it could be a good thing......
I went to a local gun show with a friend a few years back and he picked out a nice rifle to purchase. The dealer ran the NICS check and it too came back with the "delayed" response. My friend did NOT give his SS# so I'm sure that was part of it, but the real problem was his name, it was just too common. I won't say his name, but it's a very common Irish name and there must be thousands out there. There's over a hundred in the Boston phone book alone, and I'm sure that at least a few have broken a law or two......
Anyway, he went home from the show empty handed.
I, on the other hand, have a very UNcommon last name, with maybe only two dozen or so in the whole country. Therefore, my NICS check always goes through right away, even without the SS#.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 02-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman View Post
Have you been "delayed" or "denied" previously? How many firearms have you purchased from a dealer in the last 30 days? A delay can sometimes be because someone with a felony has a similar name/vitals. Providing your SS# can usually eliminate this possibility, but most people choose not to provide it as it is not mandatory. Righteous, you've had the feds show up at your place of business because of a "Deny"? Wow, glad that has never happened to me. The once a year inspections are enough of an inconvenience.
I only have one other firearm, a handgun that was bought in a private sale. State laws do not require a background check for private sales where I live.

I got in touch with the NICS, he stated that my name is fairly common, that could be the reason for the delay or it could also be them checking out my assault charge to be sure it is not domestic violence.

I just hope I get approved.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post

They do have my SS#, I am just going to keep my fingers crossed hoping to get the rifle.