I am done with Dick's Sporting Goods - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > I am done with Dick's Sporting Goods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe
Not sure either mrwray. But since my scenario is actual for where I live I have to assume that municipal/county/state regulations are more stringently enforced by shops like dsg et al.

Again in NJ you need a firearms purchasers ID card to purchase ammo and they will not issue a fpid to a non resident alien.

That's how we roll here.
And let me add that they won't issue an fpid card to a resident alien either. I knew I forgot to mention that as well.

So you're either a us citizen our you ain't buying ammo or any firearm in the lovely Garden State.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 07-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian22
I do have a major problem with the FPID card as it is a blatant infringement upon all Americans right to own firearms. However at least they did one thing right by not allowing illegals.
But what about a permanent resident like my wife who is from Montreal? If I were to buy the farm she could not keep my firearms.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP

Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #23

Why do you think they call it "Dick's?"
cottontop

drvsafe Likes This 
Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #24

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
You don't have to be an American citizen to purchase a firearm...but as a NC resident, I can't purchase a firearm in any other state besides NC???

What prey tell is the logic behind THAT???
You can purchase a long gun in any state without being a resident and you can purchase a handgun out of state you just have to have it shipped to a FFL in your state to do the transfer. It's ATF rules nobody said they would make sense

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #25

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Also the non us citizen being able to purchase is federal law, states can always add to it to make them stricter and often do. NJ,CA,MA,MD,etc.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #26

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe

But what about a permanent resident like my wife who is from Montreal? If I were to buy the farm she could not keep my firearms.

By her being a permanent resident (and your wife) that makes her a Legal resident correct? As it has never applied to me, I do not know what the regulations are in ref to legal immigrants, and I would imagine they vary from state to state. I have NO problem with legal immigrants who have gone through the proper channels to be here, and respect them every bit as much as a fellow 'natural' citizen. I feel they should be able to purchase, own and use firearms just like the rest of us.

By being married to you doesn't this make her a citizen and in relation to the original post allow her to answer 'yes' to the citizen question when purchasing ammo? Or am I missing something? Please correct and inform me if I am.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian22 View Post
By her being a permanent resident (and your wife) that makes her a Legal resident correct? As it has never applied to me, I do not know what the regulations are in ref to legal immigrants, and I would imagine they vary from state to state. I have NO problem with legal immigrants who have gone through the proper channels to be here, and respect them every bit as much as a fellow 'natural' citizen. I feel they should be able to purchase, own and use firearms just like the rest of us.

By being married to you doesn't this make her a citizen and in relation to the original post allow her to answer 'yes' to the citizen question when purchasing ammo? Or am I missing something? Please correct and inform me if I am.
Funny, you say that. No, not based on our marriage alone.

We were under that same impression until about 6 years ago while crossing the border into the US from Quebec. they held her there and it wasn't until they woke up the department head of that crossing and made him come to work. He did us a favor and let her go on "parole" until we sorted her paperwork out. It then took us almost 2 years to get her Res. alien (green card).

Now, children of US citizens born outside of the US are US citizens provided you record their birth with the US consulate in that country. Spouses must apply for their resident alien card or citizenship just like everyone else. WE had to jump thru hoops for them to expedite her case just so she wouldn't be thrown out of the country (we had 2 kids together at the time). I don't think we were treated unfairly at all, I just think it should have been explained TO us when we got our marriage license here in NJ.

I guess it IS a common misconception.

she will not be eligible to petition for citizenship for another 2 years I believe, and she wants to do it. Then once she is a naturalized citizen will she be able to get her FPID card.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP

Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9550 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Short explanation on aliens-

First, being married to a US Citizen does NOT make you a citizen.

There are RESIDENT ALIENS. These were folks admitted to the US as Emigrants. They have a right to live here permanently. They are still citizens of their native country. They can buy guns. They can work, pay taxes, etc. They can serve in the US military, but not as a commissioned Officer. They cannot vote or hold public office. In SOME states they cannot serve on a jury. These are folks with a "Green Card"- which is no longer green. (Rant- 15 minutes ago I downloaded the paperwork to renew my lady's green card. Be sure to include your check for FOUR HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS unless you are on welfare. ARRRGGGGGHHHHH !!!)

There are NON-Resident Aliens. They have been legally admitted here for a specified period of time. This includes students, tourists, military exchange instructors/students, etc. No hava green card, cannot hold employment. MAY- under limited circumstances, buy a gun and ammo (Student visa, has hunting license, wants a deer rifle- that is allowed)

ILLEGAL aliens. To use a line from the lyrics of the song "Sign"- you ain't supposed to be here. Person that has entered the US illegally. Cannot work, no green card, cannot buy or possess a gun. Cannot vote (except in Chicago?)

What the dicks at Dick's are doing is NOT required by Federal law, and, IMHO, probably violates some other laws regarding discrimination on the basis of National Origin.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Short explanation on aliens-

First, being married to a US Citizen does NOT make you a citizen.

There are RESIDENT ALIENS. These were folks admitted to the US as Emigrants. They have a right to live here permanently. They are still citizens of their native country. They can buy guns. They can work, pay taxes, etc. They can serve in the US military, but not as a commissioned Officer. They cannot vote or hold public office. In SOME states they cannot serve on a jury. These are folks with a "Green Card"- which is no longer green. (Rant- 15 minutes ago I downloaded the paperwork to renew my lady's green card. Be sure to include your check for FOUR HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS unless you are on welfare. ARRRGGGGGHHHHH !!!)

There are NON-Resident Aliens. They have been legally admitted here for a specified period of time. This includes students, tourists, military exchange instructors/students, etc. No hava green card, cannot hold employment. MAY- under limited circumstances, buy a gun and ammo (Student visa, has hunting license, wants a deer rifle- that is allowed)

ILLEGAL aliens. To use a line from the lyrics of the song "Sign"- you ain't supposed to be here. Person that has entered the US illegally. Cannot work, no green card, cannot buy or possess a gun. Cannot vote (except in Chicago?)

What the dicks at Dick's are doing is NOT required by Federal law, and, IMHO, probably violates some other laws regarding discrimination on the basis of National Origin.
Well in the lovely Garden State (NJ) a resident alien CANNOT be issued a Firearms Purchasers ID card, which would also means that they cannot purchase a firearm as well. sucks to be here.

Like I said before NJ gun laws were written when Adam West was Batman. They are antiquated and outdated and in serious need of a rewrite.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP

Old 07-20-2012, 04:12 AM   #30

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Support your local gunstore. Here is what I do if I see a gun on sale at dick or big 5 I will go to my local gunstore and ask them to match it. 9 times out of ten they will. So far I have purchased 22 firearms at my local gunstore because they always give me the best price and customer service here in Turlock California.