I am the Devil's advocate

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > I am the Devil's advocate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default I am the Devil's advocate

Anyone who has been here a while knows that I play Devil's advocate. I do this as a measure of prevention no matter what anyone else thinks. Even with the victory yesterday in the SCOTUS there are possible negatives.

So I ask, does anyone agree with or have similar concerns as I do. With the ruling on Monday the SCOTUS basically said the constitution trumps state and local laws. We all rejoice because of 2A. However we now have all our eggs in the federal basket. Slim as the chances may be a new amendment repealing 2A or something of that nature would effectively mean a federal ban on firearm ownership in this country. Before Monday's ruling it could be argued that the 2A did not apply to the states and only applied to the federal government, we can't make that argument anymore. So while I see it as a victory, I also look to the possibility that it could be used against us.

What say you, am I crazy? (For thinking this, not crazy in general) I don't see it happening but I do fear the federal government because it is a mindless entity that serves itself and answers to (sadly) itself. It's supposed to answer to the people but that has been twisted and distorted over the last 200+ years into a system that serves the system.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!"

I can't speak for anyone else, but the clear line that we all know that separates the good guys from the bad guys, will no doubt become blurred, crossed several times and ignored, like a well used Mexico/United States Border crossing.

I will have a black hat...and guns!

YMMV

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll ride with ya, EVEN!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I"m with you. The federal government doesn't have the authority to make that decision, even though they want to. I've been saying this for years. Local rules county, county rules state, state rules federal. Who here can say their state isn't waiting for Federal funding? Which county isn't waiting for state funding? Is your city waiting on word from the county? The whole system is bass ackwards!!!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Anyone who has been here a while knows that I play Devil's advocate. I do this as a measure of prevention no matter what anyone else thinks. Even with the victory yesterday in the SCOTUS there are possible negatives.

So I ask, does anyone agree with or have similar concerns as I do. With the ruling on Monday the SCOTUS basically said the constitution trumps state and local laws. We all rejoice because of 2A. However we now have all our eggs in the federal basket. Slim as the chances may be a new amendment repealing 2A or something of that nature would effectively mean a federal ban on firearm ownership in this country. Before Monday's ruling it could be argued that the 2A did not apply to the states and only applied to the federal government, we can't make that argument anymore. So while I see it as a victory, I also look to the possibility that it could be used against us.

What say you, am I crazy? (For thinking this, not crazy in general) I don't see it happening but I do fear the federal government because it is a mindless entity that serves itself and answers to (sadly) itself. It's supposed to answer to the people but that has been twisted and distorted over the last 200+ years into a system that serves the system.
The 2A restricts the government from infringing upon an individual right to keep and bear arms, it does not, and cannot, grant that right. What happened Monday was that the court incorporated the prohibitions of the 2A to the state and local governments under the 14A's Due Process clause. At this point I believe that the toothpaste is out of the tube and nothing short of civil war will change a word of the Second Amendment.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #6

Easy fix. Recycle Congress. Vote Green.

Solve the "problem" before it can happen.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yunis, great question.

Jplyle, perfect answer.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

For the most part the feds have believed that they trump states laws and have since the civil war. In this case people are happy to see this. I'm not so sure if this would be such a popular thing in other areas.

So even though I'm happy to see that the 2A has been supported (somewhat) The down the road implication are a little troublesome. What should have been handed down from the SCOTUS is the Constitution says this and this is what we'll go by. With the idea that each little aspect of the 2A not to go through the courts we just might see some "common sense regulations" to the 2A. This decision pretty much says now the Constitution can be interpreted line by line in the courts. And the stated that stand on their sovereignty to buck any decision later might be in for trouble.

Many think it's civil unrest that the feds want to give them an excuse to lock everyone down. The conspiracy crowds are already tightening their tin foil hats. Three years ago I would have called them all crazy. But with all that's happened the last 18 months. I'm not sure how surprised I would be anymore.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

On another thread Pat-inCo posted a link to an article on the Institute for Justice website, that was a good read. There is another article on that site that explains alot of how this works, meaning how the scotus interperprets the Constitution and Bill of Right, it's 18 pages but it gives great insight to how the scotus works. IMO it is worth the time to read.

http://www.harvard-jlpp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/neily.pdf

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

As long as there is more than one lawyer or judge running around, there will be more than one way to interpret law. Any law. Even one as straightforward as 2A.

Does the potential exist for bad things in the future? Sure. We could lose a conservative jurist on the Supreme Court and Obama could appoint someone else as bad as Kagan and then the balance flips to the leftist idiots who could revisit the issue and turn it around.

There's no chance of 2A being repealed in this current climate, but it's always a possibility in the future. But thus far, NONE of the first ten amendments have been repealed or modified since they were written.

What's likely to happen in some locales is they will stretch the subjective term "reasonable" used in the ruling and keep bad gun control laws in place.