How Many Lower Receivers what can I own in Massachusetts ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > How Many Lower Receivers what can I own in Massachusetts ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: massachusetts,massachusetts
Posts: 2
Default How Many Lower Receivers what can I own in Massachusetts ?

Hi Folks, I have many questions

I live in Massachusetts and I have class A and one handgun (no rifles). I want to build 2 AR's (this is my first time) but my question is, what limit of Lower receivers can I buy and own in Massachusetts ??

A lower receivers in Massachusetts counts like a rifle or a part ?

The FFL dealer register each lower on my name ??

I read this comment in other forum , thats true ??

As for quantity there is no restriction. But your name will ping with the FBI or ATF and they will watch you for a few months.

If you buy 15 guns in 12 months you are put on a secret FBI watchlist. Not forever but still.

Please, I need to clarify my doubt. thanks

__________________
goliath is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hutchinson,Kansas
Posts: 188
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath View Post
If you buy 15 guns in 12 months you are put on a secret FBI watchlist. Not forever but still.
LOL. If it's secret, then ask them how THEY know about it.
__________________

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

fixxer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,009
Liked 2694 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Default

A completed AR lower IS a firearm in all 50 states. I don't know about dealer "registering" them to you as that is not what happens in the "free States". You would have to consult an FFL Dealer in Assatwo****s for how this works in your state.

As far as getting on a "watch list"? The only information that is transmitted about your purchase when an NICS check is done is whether the firearm is a handgun or long gun. How would ATF/FBI put you on a wach list for buying two AR lowers when all they will know is you purchased two firearms, period.

If you buy 15 in a year, someone will likely take notice. That is a bit unusual. Unusual, not illegal. You will likely get a visit from your friendly Federal agent asking why you purchased so many. "I got an inheritance and finally got to guy the guns I have wanted for the last 20 years." or "I got burglarized and am replacing my stolen collection with insurance money" "Could I see them, please?" The correct answer here is "Sure, Come on in!" Show them what you bought. They already know serial numbers, makes and models. They have gone to the dealer and jotted down all pertinant information about said purchases. They are just trying to confirm you are not getting into the informal (illegal) gun business. If you bought 15 and only have 2....They are going to have some probing questions. You probably should know something about where the others went. This is what we pay them for, to stop ILLEGAL firearms transactions. Not doing anything illegal? This will be a short and friendly conversation.

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Desert Hills,Arizony
Posts: 774
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

There is no law that I am aware of that limits the amounts of guns a person can buy. Here in Arizona a person who bought over 300 guns in a year & then tried to sell off most of them was recently tried by the ATF & found innocent of any crime. Would this be a State Law?
About the receiver, any receiver will count as a gun. Even a flat (unbent) piece of sheet metal (AK Receiver) will require you to fill out a form 4473 and will list the serial # of said receiver. As far as registration goes, here in AZ unless the ATF happens to see that particular form, no registration exists

__________________

Last edited by billdeserthills; 10-31-2010 at 05:37 PM.
billdeserthills is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kenhesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE, Ia
Posts: 350
Default

Sorry, can't help on your state questions, but around here I buy AR-15 stripped lower frames 3 at a time.

My FFL dealer told me he can put 3 weapons on the same Fed. yellow form. I hate to fill out the form, so I buy a lot of groups of 3. I've only bought new weapons from or thru this one dealer for the past 35 years, so its not a problem to do.

My last purchase, I bought 1 new rifle & 2 AR lowers, don't need the lowers right now, but I like to keep a few around. Darn ARs are addictive!

I think the most weapons, (that had to have the yellow form filled out) I've ever bought in a year was 21 and I never heard a word from anyone.

__________________

"The older I get, The better I was"

kenhesr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Desert Hills,Arizony
Posts: 774
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr View Post
Sorry, can't help on your state questions, but around here I buy AR-15 stripped lower frames 3 at a time.

My FFL dealer told me he can put 3 weapons on the same Fed. yellow form. I hate to fill out the form, so I buy a lot of groups of 3. I've only bought new weapons from or thru this one dealer for the past 35 years, so its not a problem to do.

My last purchase, I bought 1 new rifle & 2 AR lowers, don't need the lowers right now, but I like to keep a few around. Darn ARs are addictive!

I think the most weapons, (that had to have the yellow form filled out) I've ever bought in a year was 21 and I never heard a word from anyone.
Actually, if your dealer would read the instructions included with the form he'll see that he can simply add as many pieces of paper he needs to the form. In other words you can put as many guns as you want on one 4473 form. Last week I put 15 guns on one form.
__________________
billdeserthills is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:11 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Desert Hills,Arizony
Posts: 774
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
A completed AR lower IS a firearm in all 50 states. I don't know about dealer "registering" them to you as that is not what happens in the "free States". You would have to consult an FFL Dealer in Assatwo****s for how this works in your state.

As far as getting on a "watch list"? The only information that is transmitted about your purchase when an NICS check is done is whether the firearm is a handgun or long gun. How would ATF/FBI put you on a wach list for buying two AR lowers when all they will know is you purchased two firearms, period.

If you buy 15 in a year, someone will likely take notice. That is a bit unusual. Unusual, not illegal. You will likely get a visit from your friendly Federal agent asking why you purchased so many. "I got an inheritance and finally got to guy the guns I have wanted for the last 20 years." or "I got burglarized and am replacing my stolen collection with insurance money" "Could I see them, please?" The correct answer here is "Sure, Come on in!" Show them what you bought. They already know serial numbers, makes and models. They have gone to the dealer and jotted down all pertinant information about said purchases. They are just trying to confirm you are not getting into the informal (illegal) gun business. If you bought 15 and only have 2....They are going to have some probing questions. You probably should know something about where the others went. This is what we pay them for, to stop ILLEGAL firearms transactions. Not doing anything illegal? This will be a short and friendly conversation.
I certainly don't agree with much you have posted here. There exists no Federal law limiting the amount of guns anyone can own, nor does a law exist that defines exactly how many guns you can sell off. Fact is you can legally sell every gun in your collection, for any reason- at any time you wish. If Any Law Enforcement Officer ever has a question for me about where anything might reside, they better damn well produce a Warrant. In fact The #1 most important thing to say to any Law Officer is Nothing. If you are in enough trouble to justfy a warrant, you need an attorney Right Now. Immediately it is now time to STFU- Do not incriminate yourself.
__________________
billdeserthills is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kenhesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE, Ia
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Actually, if your dealer would read the instructions included with the form he'll see that he can simply add as many pieces of paper he needs to the form. In other words you can put as many guns as you want on one 4473 form. Last week I put 15 guns on one form.
bill, I didn't want to get too technical, thought this was just going to be a "short" reply. goliath sounded like he was only interested in getting 2 lowers and I couldn't answer the state law part of his question anyway, sorry goliath!

To be absolutely specific, I would have typed;

My FFL dealer told me he could only list 3 weapons in the body of the Fed. yellow form, (Form 4473) without attaching additional pieces of paper with the information required per. Sec. D Questions 24-28 as specified by Item #12 in the back of Form 4473, due to the fact that Sec. D only has spaces for 3 entries in the body of the form.

My point was that I hate to fill out that yellow form. A lot of people don't know you can buy over 1 weapon per form. I hardly ever need to purchase over 3 serial numbered items at the same time, so in order to keep it simple, I LIKE to fill out my weapons purchases with AR lowers or If I want 1 lower, I buy 3 to max out the body of the 4473 form and I get a price break too.

Did I mention that I'm not an FFL, never bought 15 weapons on the same day. I did help pick up half an ACAV full one day NW of Xuan Loc though, but thats a whole nuther post! Ken
__________________

"The older I get, The better I was"

kenhesr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: massachusetts,massachusetts
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr View Post
bill, I didn't want to get too technical, thought this was just going to be a "short" reply. goliath sounded like he was only interested in getting 2 lowers and I couldn't answer the state law part of his question anyway, sorry goliath!

To be absolutely specific, I would have typed;

My FFL dealer told me he could only list 3 weapons in the body of the Fed. yellow form, (Form 4473) without attaching additional pieces of paper with the information required per. Sec. D Questions 24-28 as specified by Item #12 in the back of Form 4473, due to the fact that Sec. D only has spaces for 3 entries in the body of the form.

My point was that I hate to fill out that yellow form. A lot of people don't know you can buy over 1 weapon per form. I hardly ever need to purchase over 3 serial numbered items at the same time, so in order to keep it simple, I LIKE to fill out my weapons purchases with AR lowers or If I want 1 lower, I buy 3 to max out the body of the 4473 form and I get a price break too.

Did I mention that I'm not an FFL, never bought 15 weapons on the same day. I did help pick up half an ACAV full one day NW of Xuan Loc though, but thats a whole nuther post! Ken
Thanks kenhesr and the other users to answers my question. And don't worry.

More Info , More Knowledge.

I looking for more info in google and I found this:

A lower receiver is just that, a lower receiver. It is the one item that is transfered. Untill completed (built into a rifle/ pistol) it cannot be registered with the state.

The reciever does not get registered by the FFL, it is only transfered to you. You cannot register (FA 10) it untill you have completed it.


Is that true ??
__________________
goliath is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kenhesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE, Ia
Posts: 350
Default

Morning goliath, sounds like you have some State laws to contend with that most of us don't.

Most states you buy the lower, the dealer has you fill out the Federal 4473 form and that is it.!!

The Feds consider the part of the weapon with the serial number to be THE weapon. AR lower rec, grip frame on a pistol etc. But thats Federal Law!

Some state laws are crazy! 10 rd mags, pre ban - post ban laws still in effect, you can only purchase so many weapons per month, silly crap like that.

Don't know the laws in your area, ask a few local FFL guys, they should know.

Good luck with your build, its not real hard and when you're done you'll know all about them. Ken

__________________

"The older I get, The better I was"

kenhesr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
For sale-Single or group. Stripped AR style upper/lower/ receivers. New prices. Chris@fidelisarms Sponsor Display 0 08-07-2009 07:20 PM
CETME Receivers Obamardo General Rifle Discussion 1 05-10-2009 02:48 PM
Wts: Pof .308 Stripped Billet Lower Receivers, $449 AnchorArmament Sponsor Display 3 03-11-2009 08:42 PM
WTS: TKS AR15 Billet Lower Receivers $209.95 ea AnchorArmament Sponsor Display 0 01-09-2009 10:53 AM