Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > How to join a state militia?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Well, since you have asked with pure and honest intentions, all I can say is good luck in finding any militia group that is not anarchist or racist at the very least. Those groups attract anti-everything that is not at least white and like minded in their eyes. There is a group of Klansmen out of Louiville that accept all that they deem to be caucasian regardless of religion as long as you are not a follower of Judiasm or of hispanic descent (even though most hispanics are caucasian).

I am in Ohio and I am a stones throw from the Ohio River. I know of no militia group that is all inclusive to Americans. There might be a few groups out there, but I have yet to see one. Racists tend to use the term "militia" to gather membership and hide behind their fundamentalist ideals. That is my experience anyway.

My suggestion is this; gather a group of friends who are like minded and plan a strategy for a SHTF scenario. It only takes a few who you know you can trust to be able to depend on one another for survival. Have a meeting point, have your BOB's packed and a strategy. Everyone has a job, and they know what their job is just in case. As a whole, you will fend for each other far better than some group that attracts whack jobs who are just itching to shoot a gubmit agent or person of another color or religion.

That is unless you are that whack job...
That advice right there is spot on.

Last edited by NitroxAZ; 06-28-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Self policing my unecessary comment

Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would say right here is a great place to start. Let's look at what the FTF Member Militia would have going for it.

• Honesty
  • Hard Working
  • No Non-Sense
  • Let's cut the BS and fix the damn problem
  • Doing the right thing for the right reason, not when it's convenient
  • Believe in the Constitution and core values of our Fore-Fathers
  • Relying on one's self instead of handouts
  • Support secure borders without alienating LEGAL immigration
  • Support Smaller, more transparent, government
  • Support Tax dollars being spent at home first
I think this list could run another three pages if you take a look at the position of a lot of our posters/members concerning issues that arise concerning our formerly great nation.

And let's not forget that our members have some really cool toys and really know how to use them.

JD

Old 06-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

99% of the individual gripes people have with government today would disappear immediately if the government were to obey the Constitution. Here's my list:

• Physically fit
  • Honesty & Integrity
  • Principled (what's good for me might also be good for someone I don't like, but that's OK...the understanding that "I'm only as free as my most-oppressed neighbor" is important.)
  • Our militia supports the Constitution of the United States and does not answer to transient elected or appointed officials
  • Rugged-individualism: Self-reliance/self-sufficiency
  • Skilled with arms

Old 06-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

About 16 States or Territories have formal state government run militias per 32 USC 109. To my knowledge only 2 of those are sometimes armed, Ohio and NY. Many can be armed, but that isn't likely to happen (thanks to their past performance when they were armed) in this political environment without much internal change. I also know that 2 others are more on paper than reality as their membership size is carefully controlled, and fewer than the fingers on your hands. California and Puerto Rico. A shame about PR really, as PR's saw combat in both WWI with Blackjack Pershing and in WWII at Normandy and deployments to Nicaragua in the late 20th century.

During WWII most of the State Defense Force militias were also known as the Home Guard.

Between the period of the Civil War Reconstruction and 1900 many of the State Militias had exciting times. In some states, SC for instance, they became armed oppressors of the freed slaves. (See today's Supreme Ct. decision for more mention of that). In other states the Governors used them (or tried to) to suppress coal miner strikes and enforce Railroad confiscations of Land. [See a "America's Armories: Architecture, Society, and Public Order," by Fogelson for more about that.] By 1900 many of them had been converted to being the first State Police forces. Prior to WWI (1906?) the Congress passed laws turning the various remaining state militias into a National Guard/Army Reserve. With the coming of WWI and the Federalization of the NG units some states saw a need for forces of their own and the first Home Guard militia units were formed.

American Samoa also had a Territorial Defense Force militia prior to the WWII Japanese invasion. With about 50 members and primary mission of being the Honor Guard of the territorial governor they had about 4 Springfield 03s for Color Guard purposes, and some M-22 .22 rifles. Members and family associates of that Territory Defense Force were then hunted down like dogs by the Japanese and executed wherever and whenever on the Isles they were found. So far as I know that unit was never reconstituted after the War ended.

After WWII many states disbanded their Home Guard militias. Some merger or overlap of State Guard units and Civil Defense volunteers also occurred during the early Cold War years. In Alaska's post WWII years the Alaskan Home Guard was issued military rifles and other supplies and provided a military recon capability across the vast territory. There was at least one incident in the 1980s where members of the Alaskan Guard on a drill were found executed on a beach in the Aleutians. Being a drill, their rifles weren't loaded. As expended AK-47 rounds littered the area it has long been speculated that they may have encountered Soviet Spetznaz forces on a clandestine operation. The last I heard about them, President Clinton was ordering their military issued M-16s be confiscated and the unit disbanded.

As the Cold War heated up, President Regan issued an Executive Order allowing the State Legislatures to form Defense Forces under 32 USC 109. Originally the members of these forces were envisioned as functioning behind Soviet lines in the event of a WW III invasion. Kind of a Wolverines a la 'Red Dawn' scenario. Different Governors and different state legislators had different ideas. Congress provided no funding. Each State that went ahead and created a State Militia Defense Force has a slightly (radically in some cases) different idea of what the mission of the unit should be and who should be in it and who should control it. [Most usually they come under the control of the State Dept. of Military Affairs.] Some states want nothing to do with it and believe their NG forces are sufficient. Some states issue promotions as political prizes. The title 'Kentucky Colonel' comes to mind. All Congressmen or women from VA are also 3rd LTs in VA's Defense Force. Some state's units are way more fun to belong to than others. Some do things. Some other States hold drills that consist solely of visiting the Armory twice a year and eating Pizza. Even within a state some units are very different than their brothers on the other side of the state. During Hurricane Katrina both Mississippi and Maryland activated and deployed their militia Defense Forces to the devastated areas. [MD's Defense Force is unique as it is a solely medical oriented MASH type unit (most other states view their Defense Forces as Infantry) composed almost entirely of Doctors and Nurses.] Some State Defense Forces require fingerprint and other background checks (including medical), others operate on the honor system and you are supposed to tell them if your prior felony convictions might be an issue, and you can join them with one foot in the nursing home door. The skill sets and training sophistication of the units also varies. Some have boats or planes, some have both. Needless to say, how the Army and the National Guard views these units has a lot to do with exactly which unit, and in what town, you are asking about.

There is an organization that both tracks the various State Defense Force militias, and attempts through legislation and by arranging training to professionalize the different units. That is the State Guard Association of the United States ( SGAUS.org ).

Last edited by superc; 06-29-2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: added a ) and a line

Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

HawkI
A couple of years ago I did some research into militia groups. I had (have) many of the same concerns you express. I know from first hand experience that the government (federal, state, local) can not be counted on to help us when the SHTF, in whatever form that takes. I was interested in linking up with like minded folks who could be counted on to band together to defend our communities. The classic definition of militia is armed average citizens who are willing to do just that.

The current, legal definition of militia is:
US CODE TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > § 311 § 311. Militia: composition and classes.

There are several militia forums that are easy to find and join. What I found when I joined a few, was a group of outlaw minded, racist, hate groups that are anti-government, anti-police, and who want to overthrow the US Government. They want to be left alone to do whatever kind of crime they wish and to smoke their marijuana without interference. Once I realized what they preach, I quickly departed from them. The very word "militia" has been corrupted by them and by the uninformed news media who are quick to place it on some citizens as a pejorative.

If you decide to explore any of those, be careful what you get into, because I would be very surprised if they are not being monitored by the FBI.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, believe it or not, there is one that si not what the general consensus, look at the site I am listing and just read the rules listed on the front page and they are enforced,and there are groups in the States mentioned.If you like join and look around, if it is not for you then you can leave, no sweat.
http://wellregulatedamericanmilitias.com/
Layton

Old 07-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I would say right here is a great place to start. Let's look at what the FTF Member Militia would have going for it.
  • Honesty
  • Hard Working
  • No Non-Sense
  • Let's cut the BS and fix the damn problem
  • Doing the right thing for the right reason, not when it's convenient
  • Believe in the Constitution and core values of our Fore-Fathers
  • Relying on one's self instead of handouts
  • Support secure borders without alienating LEGAL immigration
  • Support Smaller, more transparent, government
  • Support Tax dollars being spent at home first
I think this list could run another three pages if you take a look at the position of a lot of our posters/members concerning issues that arise concerning our formerly great nation.

And let's not forget that our members have some really cool toys and really know how to use them.

JD
Great idea!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #18

i also want to join a non gov't controlled militia but my home state of Rhode Island doesn't have one is it possible for me to start one or bring a extinct one back to life???? i also fear a violent uprising happening soon and i want to help keep my state's existence, but a state of the PEOPLE not corrupt politicians. the US flag doesn't even mean the same anymore due to these corrupt politicians trampling all over it like it was there kamode. I am sick of seeing this country fall of the "edge" like California is slowly falling into the ocean. someone got to do somethimg and it's got to be the PEOPLE

Old 09-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3636

If there is a Tea Party rally nearby, attend. Try to convince others to vote, and support the Tea Party.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by XstraightshooterX View Post
i also want to join a non gov't controlled militia but my home state of Rhode Island doesn't have one is it possible for me to start one or bring a extinct one back to life???? i also fear a violent uprising happening soon and i want to help keep my state's existence, but a state of the PEOPLE not corrupt politicians. the US flag doesn't even mean the same anymore due to these corrupt politicians trampling all over it like it was there kamode. I am sick of seeing this country fall of the "edge" like California is slowly falling into the ocean. someone got to do somethimg and it's got to be the PEOPLE
Check RI state laws to see about starting a militia. It is illegal start one in New York; it may be fine in RI or it may be illegal.

If you're concerned about a violent uprising comprised of unlawful idiots rioting, looting, raping, etc. (as we saw in London recently), join the Guard. Any group that does not coordinate with the Guard or Governor's office may well become a target along with the BGs you're trying to bring under control. Vigilantism, as justifiable as it may be in some circumstances, is not looked upon favorably by the gov't.