how does it work?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > how does it work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Help me with clarifying the following... 1)Background checks are done at ffl dealers only? 2)buying a firearm from a lgs or bass pro type place automatically gets you a background check to purchase the weapon and registers it 3)only way you can avoid a background check is private party purchase? 4) how can you purchase a new firearm without background check and without registering it?5) how can you send the firearm in for warranty problems without showing you purchased it "properly" or and are the first owner?.... I ask because of the large opposition to background checks and registration. I'm curious as to how you handle these matters because I don't see a way around registering the firearm unless its a private party purchase, but then what about warranty work? Thanks

Last edited by JCANNON; 04-23-2013 at 03:23 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5758 Times on 3257 Posts
Likes Given: 5197

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCANNON View Post
Help me with clarifying the following... 1)Background checks are done at ffl dealers only? 2)buying a firearm from a lgs or bass pro type place automatically gets you a background check to purchase the weapon and registers it 3)only way you can avoid a background check is private party purchase? 4) how can you purchase a new firearm without background check and without registering it?5) how can you send the firearm in for warranty problems without showing you purchased it "properly" or and are the first owner?.... I ask because of the large opposition to background checks and registration. I'm curious as to how you handle these matters because I don't see a way around registering the firearm unless its a private party purchase, but then what about warranty work? Thanks
some states have registration, some don't. Filling out a 4473 and getting a background check is not registration.

No body has ever confiscated one of my guns, and I've owned over a hundred in my life time.

And unless you're the re-incarnation of Methusela, no one is going to do it in your life time. Regardless of the mindless drivel spewed by Alex Jones and his ilk, "It aint a-gonna happen,Bubba."

Winston Churchill
opaww Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

So in florida, if I buy a firearm from bass pro, it's not automatically registered? Or any lgs for that matter?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2815 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 1640

In PA, only handguns are registered with the State Police.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCANNON View Post
So in florida, if I buy a firearm from bass pro, it's not automatically registered? Or any lgs for that matter?

No, it's not registered in FL. But you'll have a bill of sale and if it's a new gun there will usually be a warranty card from the manufacturer. The dealer keeps a record of the transaction but there's no registration.

When you purchase the gun you'll have to fill out a legal form attesting to your citizenship, DOB, POB, and that you're lawfully qualified to purchase a firearm, etc., etc. The dealer will place a call into the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for a background check. Usually takes about 10 minutes. FDLE runs your SSN through a database. If everything's cool, you come back 3 days later and pick up your gun, unless you have a concealed weapons license...in which case there's no wait.

Last edited by 7point62; 04-23-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1978 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
some states have registration, some don't. Filling out a 4473 and getting a background check is not registration.

No body has ever confiscated one of my guns, and I've owned over a hundred in my life time.

And unless you're the re-incarnation of Methusela, no one is going to do it in your life time. Regardless of the mindless drivel spewed by Alex Jones and his ilk, "It aint a-gonna happen,Bubba."
You are 100% wrong! Confiscation of guns happens on a daily basis through out this country. I have witnessed it MANY times. It depends on the place you live. There are MANY place in this country where the rights of the people to KABA's are violated daily and their guns are confiscated and they are treated as criminals.
I have over 300 guns locked up in our evidence lockers (when the sheriff took office) and it is my job to try and find the owners and return them to those owners when possible. I have been busting my azz for over two years to try and find the rightful owners. I have only been able to find about 10% of them. The guns we can't locate owners for were donated to the FOP by the Sheriff and after a court order is obtained they are sold at a 'silent auction' and the funds are used to build and maintain our local Law Enforcement Firearms Training Facility.
So to deny this happens in the good old USA is to deny reality!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 04-23-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Warrior1256 Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

You are 100% wrong! Confiscation of guns happens on a daily basis through out this country. I have witnessed it MANY times. It depends on the place you live. There are MANY place in this country where the rights of the people to KABA's are violated daily and their guns are confiscated and they are treated as criminals.
I have over 300 guns locked up in our evidence lockers (when the sheriff took office) and it is my job to try and find the owners and return them to those owners when possible. I have been busting my azz for over two years to try and find the rightful owners. I have only been able to find about 10% of them. The guns we can't locate owners for were donated to the FOP by the Sheriff and after a court order is obtained they are sold at a 'silent auction' and the funds are used to build and maintain our local Law Enforcement Firearms Training Facility.
So to deny this happens in the good old USA is to deny reality!
Wow what state do you live in?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1978 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfroniewski View Post
Wow what state do you live in?
I live in Alabama which is a rather gun friendly state. But many in this country are not as blessed as those of us who live where there are 'less' violations of our rights. Just look at what 'laws' have been passed just since New Town in MANY states and localities!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Warrior1256 Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #9

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I live in Alabama which is a rather gun friendly state. But many in this country are not as blessed as those of us who live where there are 'less' violations of our rights. Just look at what 'laws' have been passed just since New Town in MANY states and localities!
That's why we must always be vililant and fight ALL attempts to obstruct our rights.