Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   how does it work? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/how-does-work-89383/)

JCANNON 04-23-2013 03:21 AM

Help me with clarifying the following... 1)Background checks are done at ffl dealers only? 2)buying a firearm from a lgs or bass pro type place automatically gets you a background check to purchase the weapon and registers it 3)only way you can avoid a background check is private party purchase? 4) how can you purchase a new firearm without background check and without registering it?5) how can you send the firearm in for warranty problems without showing you purchased it "properly" or and are the first owner?.... I ask because of the large opposition to background checks and registration. I'm curious as to how you handle these matters because I don't see a way around registering the firearm unless its a private party purchase, but then what about warranty work? Thanks

locutus 04-23-2013 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCANNON (Post 1223906)
Help me with clarifying the following... 1)Background checks are done at ffl dealers only? 2)buying a firearm from a lgs or bass pro type place automatically gets you a background check to purchase the weapon and registers it 3)only way you can avoid a background check is private party purchase? 4) how can you purchase a new firearm without background check and without registering it?5) how can you send the firearm in for warranty problems without showing you purchased it "properly" or and are the first owner?.... I ask because of the large opposition to background checks and registration. I'm curious as to how you handle these matters because I don't see a way around registering the firearm unless its a private party purchase, but then what about warranty work? Thanks

some states have registration, some don't. Filling out a 4473 and getting a background check is not registration.

No body has ever confiscated one of my guns, and I've owned over a hundred in my life time.

And unless you're the re-incarnation of Methusela, no one is going to do it in your life time. Regardless of the mindless drivel spewed by Alex Jones and his ilk, "It aint a-gonna happen,Bubba."

JCANNON 04-23-2013 11:58 AM

So in florida, if I buy a firearm from bass pro, it's not automatically registered? Or any lgs for that matter?

eatmydust 04-23-2013 12:03 PM

In PA, only handguns are registered with the State Police.

7point62 04-23-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCANNON (Post 1224077)
So in florida, if I buy a firearm from bass pro, it's not automatically registered? Or any lgs for that matter?

No, it's not registered in FL. But you'll have a bill of sale and if it's a new gun there will usually be a warranty card from the manufacturer. The dealer keeps a record of the transaction but there's no registration.

When you purchase the gun you'll have to fill out a legal form attesting to your citizenship, DOB, POB, and that you're lawfully qualified to purchase a firearm, etc., etc. The dealer will place a call into the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for a background check. Usually takes about 10 minutes. FDLE runs your SSN through a database. If everything's cool, you come back 3 days later and pick up your gun, unless you have a concealed weapons license...in which case there's no wait.

JimRau 04-23-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1223918)
some states have registration, some don't. Filling out a 4473 and getting a background check is not registration.

No body has ever confiscated one of my guns, and I've owned over a hundred in my life time.

And unless you're the re-incarnation of Methusela, no one is going to do it in your life time. Regardless of the mindless drivel spewed by Alex Jones and his ilk, "It aint a-gonna happen,Bubba."

You are 100% wrong! Confiscation of guns happens on a daily basis through out this country. I have witnessed it MANY times. It depends on the place you live. There are MANY place in this country where the rights of the people to KABA's are violated daily and their guns are confiscated and they are treated as criminals.:mad:
I have over 300 guns locked up in our evidence lockers (when the sheriff took office) and it is my job to try and find the owners and return them to those owners when possible. I have been busting my azz for over two years to try and find the rightful owners. I have only been able to find about 10% of them. The guns we can't locate owners for were donated to the FOP by the Sheriff and after a court order is obtained they are sold at a 'silent auction' and the funds are used to build and maintain our local Law Enforcement Firearms Training Facility.
So to deny this happens in the good old USA is to deny reality!:eek:

gfroniewski 04-23-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau

You are 100% wrong! Confiscation of guns happens on a daily basis through out this country. I have witnessed it MANY times. It depends on the place you live. There are MANY place in this country where the rights of the people to KABA's are violated daily and their guns are confiscated and they are treated as criminals.:mad:
I have over 300 guns locked up in our evidence lockers (when the sheriff took office) and it is my job to try and find the owners and return them to those owners when possible. I have been busting my azz for over two years to try and find the rightful owners. I have only been able to find about 10% of them. The guns we can't locate owners for were donated to the FOP by the Sheriff and after a court order is obtained they are sold at a 'silent auction' and the funds are used to build and maintain our local Law Enforcement Firearms Training Facility.
So to deny this happens in the good old USA is to deny reality!:eek:

Wow what state do you live in?

JimRau 04-23-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfroniewski (Post 1224184)
Wow what state do you live in?

I live in Alabama which is a rather gun friendly state. But many in this country are not as blessed as those of us who live where there are 'less' violations of our rights. Just look at what 'laws' have been passed just since New Town in MANY states and localities! :(

Warrior1256 04-23-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau (Post 1224195)
I live in Alabama which is a rather gun friendly state. But many in this country are not as blessed as those of us who live where there are 'less' violations of our rights. Just look at what 'laws' have been passed just since New Town in MANY states and localities! :(

That's why we must always be vililant and fight ALL attempts to obstruct our rights.