How does the F.F.L. buyer and seller work? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > How does the F.F.L. buyer and seller work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 39

What if you are shipping a safe full of guns, can it still be shipped in 2days??

Old 03-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default USPS Instructions Regarding Mailability

I try to never trust anyone's word when it comes to these things as it can end you up in a federal criminal case very quickly if you do it wrong and get caught. So I offer some links below where you can read up in the governing instructions. Also be sure to check applicable State and Local laws which can most often be found by calling the state police.

I know it's a lot of work, but the potential for liability is high.

Here is the USPS instruction on mailing firearms.

Here is the UPS instruction on mailing firearms.

Here is the FEDEX instruction on mailing firearms.

Here is a useful link to the ATF's FAQ page regarding mailing and transfer of firearms.

In my experience and understanding C3Shooter is right, only FFL can ship handguns through USPS...and it is FAR cheaper than shipping handguns through UPS or FEDEX. I charge a flat rate of $35 to ship a handgun via USPS. It costs me about $13-15 depending on where it is going. Insurance can drive that cost up as well.

When it comes to long guns a private citizen is allowed to ship them ONLY TO AN FFL or themselves. They are allowed to go by ground and the least expensive I have found is UPS.

You are never allowed to ship a firearm to a non-FFL...ever.<----Please speak up if I am wrong on this point, but I am pretty confidant I am spot on.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:27 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default This thread resulted in a Blog!

Evening everyone.

I see this question so often I thought I might write a blog on the topic in an effort to save some typing.

Please feel free to take a gander if you like:

The Gun Dude Blog - Firearms Transfers & Shipping

I included all the references I have and tried to make it as clear as I possibly could. Feel free to comment if you have input.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Dude- very good post (and blog). There IS one exception in the Federal statutes on a non-FFL transferring a firearm across a state line- and it is used rarely. That is inheritance.

It is lawful to transfer an inherited firearm that has been left to someone, as long as it is not unlawful for the recipient to possess that gun in their home state. This is at the start of 18 USC 922, and gets missed frequently.

18 US Code Section 922.

It shall be unlawful.....

5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to
(A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm
by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence

Translation- My father dies without a will. I am his only heir. I live in a different state. I can go pick up my dad's shotgun.

My Dad dies. His will leaves me his shotgun. The executor of the estate can ship it directly to me, without sending it to a FFL.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Great addition. I will append my blog at my earliest opportunity. Thank you C3Shooter.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

An additional note:
If you are want to sell within your state, but face-to-face is not possible, the firearm (if shipped) should go through an FFL.

If someone in Pensacola buys a gun on line from someone in Miami, and wants it shipped, it should go through an FFL.

Going through an FFL may not be required, but should be considered if there are questions on legality of transfer or if there is a need for a trusted agent in the transaction.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Disregard.

https://www.TheGunDude.com <-----Free Shipping!

“Helping first time gun buyers buy the right gun the first time."

Last edited by TheGunDude; 03-10-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: I was wrong.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

I am pathetically passive.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Dude- PM sent

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

TheGunDude Likes This 
Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunDude View Post
Should is the wrong word. Firearms MUST be shipped ONLY to an FFL. A non-licensee can NEVER ship to anyone but themselves or an FFL. The laws are very, very, very clear on that.
I stand corrected. C3Shooter pointed me in the right direction. Shipping between non-licenses within the same state is legal per the ATF.

• Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

My apologies C3.

-The Gun Dude

https://www.TheGunDude.com <-----Free Shipping!

“Helping first time gun buyers buy the right gun the first time."