How do I get constitutional carry in my state

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > How do I get constitutional carry in my state

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How do I get constitutional carry in my state

I know I can bitch and moan about it all day long, but that won't change anything. Who can I write to or what can I do to get lawmakers to consider constitutional carry? I live in Michigan. I do know that Detroit (like all big cities) is very anti-gun. We have open carry w/o a permit, but the problem is, for big cities like Detroit or Flint, it isn't practical. It may not draw any attention in a small town in the middle of the woods, but if you walk down Woodward on a hot summer afternoon open-carrying, I can guarantee police will be surrounding you. which is not fair because it almost forces you to have to get a permit if you want to carry w/o being molested by the cops. I have considered open carrying myself. But what can I do to get the ball rolling on constitutional carry?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #2

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
I know I can bitch and moan about it all day long, but that won't change anything. Who can I write to or what can I do to get lawmakers to consider constitutional carry? I live in Michigan. I do know that Detroit (like all big cities) is very anti-gun. We have open carry w/o a permit, but the problem is, for big cities like Detroit or Flint, it isn't practical. It may not draw any attention in a small town in the middle of the woods, but if you walk down Woodward on a hot summer afternoon open-carrying, I can guarantee police will be surrounding you. which is not fair because it almost forces you to have to get a permit if you want to carry w/o being molested by the cops. I have considered open carrying myself. But what can I do to get the ball rolling on constitutional carry?
No matter what state you reside in which accepts open carry, there will still be 911 calls. Not all people research gun laws, and not your average joe/mary knows if it is an act of crime.

People will call the police if they see you, and just because it is legal does not mean law enforcement wont come and talk to you. It happens.

Am I against it?-- absolutely. Can I do anything about it? Nothing.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #3

yea the pigs will give you a hard time and cite you for inciting panic and disturbing the peace. it goes the same in ohio. they get alittle fat grin on their face when they see it.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Last edited by robocop10mm; 09-05-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: I don't think you want to go there

Old 09-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

You can't easily change the stigma of open carry in urban areas where crime is a problem. About all you can do is print out a bunch of copies of the statute or law showing you're legally OK to open carry and politely discuss it with the cops when they confront you. That will guarantee you nothing, of course; they can still (illegally) confiscate your weapon and/or incarcerate you and charge you with something at which point you can hire an attorney at your expense and appear before a judge and hopefully win your case and get your weapon back in a month or three.

Will your efforts do any good? Not without a lot of media exposure which you are not likely to get; the media are shills for the left who hate firearms.

The 9th Circuit Court actually did incorporate the Second Amendment against the states. That, together with Heller should be enough for determined folks to sue states and municipalities for illegal gun control laws. That's no easy or cheap task and there's no guarantee you'll win or make much progress.

If you're asking yourself "Well, then what's the point of the rule of law if the law can be broken with impunity by those tasked with enforcing it and those whose job it is to rule based on it?" then congratulations - you're awake.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
politely discuss it with the cops when they confront you.

hahahah-wait,wait. AH-HAHAHAHA

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 09-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #6

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Move to a shall-issue state.

It's safer there, anyway.

Then spend all your money there.

At least you can get on with having a real life.

It's what I did...

... instead of moving the mountain to Mohammed, move Mohammed to the mountain.

Last edited by therewolf; 09-05-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
hahahah-wait,wait. AH-HAHAHAHA
Yeah, I know. I've had cops at the range accuse me of having an illegal ar-15. Keeping calm and having print-outs of the law actually got them to back down. It certainly won't always work, but it beats alternatives.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:29 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I can't speak for officers in other states and I'm aware that those in liberal cities and states can be real jerks, but if you have a copy of the state law on you and show it to them and they arrest you anyway you have a very good suit in federal court as it is a violation of federal law for an agent of the government to KNOWINGLY violate a citizen's civil rights. They turn a blind eye to it when federal agents violate citizens rights, but most federal courts will rule against local police most of the time.

Alabama has a preemption law that prevents municipalities from passing any ordinance regarding handguns. OC is legal in Alabama, except on private property belonging to another, or in a vehicle. The simple answer is get a permit and carry concealed, that way the police isn't called and nobody knows you're carrying in the 1st place.

Wyoming just got constitutional carry passed, making it the 4th and Utah is very close. The anti-gunners are losing and they know it which is why they're screaming now more than ever. If we keep the pressure on our state legislatures I believe more and more states will follow Alaska's, Arizona's and Wyoming's lead. Vermont has never required a permit to carry openly or concealed, which is the way it should be IMHO.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The rights are won by numbers. Here in Wyoming about everyone belongs to the NRA. NRA members make up most of the law makers. We had strong support for passage of this freedom going in. I would suggest that you join or start a progun movement in your area to push the progun laws.