Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   How do I get constitutional carry in my state (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/how-do-i-get-constitutional-carry-my-state-47740/)

clip11 09-04-2011 02:07 AM

How do I get constitutional carry in my state

I know I can bitch and moan about it all day long, but that won't change anything. Who can I write to or what can I do to get lawmakers to consider constitutional carry? I live in Michigan. I do know that Detroit (like all big cities) is very anti-gun. We have open carry w/o a permit, but the problem is, for big cities like Detroit or Flint, it isn't practical. It may not draw any attention in a small town in the middle of the woods, but if you walk down Woodward on a hot summer afternoon open-carrying, I can guarantee police will be surrounding you. which is not fair because it almost forces you to have to get a permit if you want to carry w/o being molested by the cops. I have considered open carrying myself. But what can I do to get the ball rolling on constitutional carry?

Rarity 09-04-2011 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clip11 (Post 574273)
I know I can bitch and moan about it all day long, but that won't change anything. Who can I write to or what can I do to get lawmakers to consider constitutional carry? I live in Michigan. I do know that Detroit (like all big cities) is very anti-gun. We have open carry w/o a permit, but the problem is, for big cities like Detroit or Flint, it isn't practical. It may not draw any attention in a small town in the middle of the woods, but if you walk down Woodward on a hot summer afternoon open-carrying, I can guarantee police will be surrounding you. which is not fair because it almost forces you to have to get a permit if you want to carry w/o being molested by the cops. I have considered open carrying myself. But what can I do to get the ball rolling on constitutional carry?

No matter what state you reside in which accepts open carry, there will still be 911 calls. Not all people research gun laws, and not your average joe/mary knows if it is an act of crime.

People will call the police if they see you, and just because it is legal does not mean law enforcement wont come and talk to you. It happens.

Am I against it?-- absolutely. Can I do anything about it? Nothing.

usmcprofessional 09-04-2011 12:33 PM

yea the pigs will give you a hard time and cite you for inciting panic and disturbing the peace. it goes the same in ohio. they get alittle fat grin on their face when they see it.

bkt 09-04-2011 04:11 PM

You can't easily change the stigma of open carry in urban areas where crime is a problem. About all you can do is print out a bunch of copies of the statute or law showing you're legally OK to open carry and politely discuss it with the cops when they confront you. That will guarantee you nothing, of course; they can still (illegally) confiscate your weapon and/or incarcerate you and charge you with something at which point you can hire an attorney at your expense and appear before a judge and hopefully win your case and get your weapon back in a month or three.

Will your efforts do any good? Not without a lot of media exposure which you are not likely to get; the media are shills for the left who hate firearms.

The 9th Circuit Court actually did incorporate the Second Amendment against the states. That, together with Heller should be enough for determined folks to sue states and municipalities for illegal gun control laws. That's no easy or cheap task and there's no guarantee you'll win or make much progress.

If you're asking yourself "Well, then what's the point of the rule of law if the law can be broken with impunity by those tasked with enforcing it and those whose job it is to rule based on it?" then congratulations - you're awake.

usmcprofessional 09-04-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 574518)
politely discuss it with the cops when they confront you.

hahahah-wait,wait. AH-HAHAHAHA

therewolf 09-05-2011 12:58 AM

Move to a shall-issue state.

It's safer there, anyway.

Then spend all your money there.

At least you can get on with having a real life.

It's what I did...

... instead of moving the mountain to Mohammed, move Mohammed to the mountain.

bkt 09-05-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcprofessional (Post 574519)
hahahah-wait,wait. AH-HAHAHAHA

Yeah, I know. I've had cops at the range accuse me of having an illegal ar-15. Keeping calm and having print-outs of the law actually got them to back down. It certainly won't always work, but it beats alternatives.

Davo45 09-10-2011 03:29 AM

I can't speak for officers in other states and I'm aware that those in liberal cities and states can be real jerks, but if you have a copy of the state law on you and show it to them and they arrest you anyway you have a very good suit in federal court as it is a violation of federal law for an agent of the government to KNOWINGLY violate a citizen's civil rights. They turn a blind eye to it when federal agents violate citizens rights, but most federal courts will rule against local police most of the time.

Alabama has a preemption law that prevents municipalities from passing any ordinance regarding handguns. OC is legal in Alabama, except on private property belonging to another, or in a vehicle. The simple answer is get a permit and carry concealed, that way the police isn't called and nobody knows you're carrying in the 1st place.

Wyoming just got constitutional carry passed, making it the 4th and Utah is very close. The anti-gunners are losing and they know it which is why they're screaming now more than ever. If we keep the pressure on our state legislatures I believe more and more states will follow Alaska's, Arizona's and Wyoming's lead. Vermont has never required a permit to carry openly or concealed, which is the way it should be IMHO.

Durangokid 09-10-2011 04:25 AM

The rights are won by numbers. Here in Wyoming about everyone belongs to the NRA. NRA members make up most of the law makers. We had strong support for passage of this freedom going in. I would suggest that you join or start a progun movement in your area to push the progun laws.:)