Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > How Do I Find Out For Sure If Ammo Types Are Legal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Question How Do I Find Out For Sure If Ammo Types Are Legal

I am wanting to find out if particular ammo types are legal. Is there a way to do this? I had ammo recommendations made to me by several policemen from other states than mine and just need to find out. Some of the ammo is labeled as LE (Law Enforcement), such as the Winchester Ranger LE but you can buy it online and I was told that is not a restriction just the name. Thanks.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #2

Liked 302 Times on 167 Posts

I'm in Indiana and I can't think of any ammo I'm not allowed to have.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Winchester Ranger ammo is legal everywhere that I have been.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #4

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4284

If you can walk into a store and buy it, it's legal...

If you can buy it online from a legal dealer, it's legal...

If you buy it out of some guy's trunk in an alley...meh...that's on you...

I am not a lawyer...

Always know your states' laws...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 526 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 203

I bought several boxes of the Winchester Ranger T ammo that says Law Enforcement on it.I was concerned too and after I did a bunch of reading this is the conclusion I have come to.

Winchester Ranger ammo is essentially the same thing as Winchester PB1 which can be found in many sporting/outdoors stores. However, the PB1 will have a much higher pricetag. Probably around twice as much.

Both the Ranger T and the PB1 bullets were built/designed off of the old Winchester Black Talon bullets that were voluntarily pulled from the market back in the 90's due to publicity reasons. From what I have read, the Black Talons were a revolutionary new hollow point that did extraordinary damage to tissue compared to what was on the market at the time, and this did not win very many points with surgeons. In the past decade or so, most hollow points have used technology similar to those Black Talon and therefore the lethality of most have increased, IMO.

So down to the question at hand. Is it legal to buy and use the Winchester Ranger T (Law Enforcement) bullets? In everything I have read, yes. From my understanding, Winchester company will only sell those bullets directly to law enforcement as a matter of policy though. So when you are buying them online, you are buying from someone that is either a LEO or has connections to one.

(I am not a Lawyer and nothing in the above post should be construed as legal advice. Please consult a lawyer regarding any legal advice)

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
I'm in Indiana and I can't think of any ammo I'm not allowed to have.
Oh believe me there are illegal rounds that have been banned in every state... it's basically because they are designed to do so much damage... i can't remember the name of the round i'm thinking of right now... something zer? the round basically mushroomed out with teeth on the outer edge when it expanded designed to saw and cut... there are definitely illegal rounds...

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
the Black Talons were a revolutionary new hollow point that did extraordinary damage to tissue compared to what was on the market at the time, and this did not win very many points with surgeons.
this may be the round i was thinking of but i'm not sure... they banned talons i thought... not a voluntary thing...

Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Isn't the point if a self defense round to cause so much damage that the threat stops with as few rounds as possible. The problem that comes into play are the so called "armor piercing" rounds that make a pistol cartridge able to penetrate a bullet resistant vest. If I could get my hands on some of the rounds that the "News" media uses I would. Who doesn't want a round that will hit cinder blocks so hard that it makes them seem like they were packed with explosives.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I know Illinois does not allow certain speciality rounds but I'm pretty sure hollow points are legal in every state, I could be wrong though.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #10
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I do not think they are legal in Jersey but I do not know for sure.