How Deadly are Firearms. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > How Deadly are Firearms.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

For me, my healthcare is taken care of by the VA. For my wife and son, She was asked once (not at a doctor's office, but some kind of public survey) if she owns a gun. She answered honestly "no", and she doesn't, all guns in the house (a whopping total of 2) belong to me.

Our doctors around here are not quite so anti gun, and if they were, she would answer the questions the same way. If the question were "in the house?" she'd either lie or walk out.

Personally I see nothing wrong with lying to protect yourself from persecution.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
On a serious note, be careful with the stats on firearms. Unlike a vehicle, a gun can be used for defense, for hunting, and to commit a crime. Anti-gunners like to combine all the stats together and publish "facts" that support their positions. In their eyes, a self defense shoot, an accidental shooting and a murder are all equal.
And the number I used was all combined deaths involving a fire, I would
guess that 10.1 are due to murders...

But I could not find what I would have considered good numbers on murders
vs suicides vs. defensive shooting vs. accidental shooting.

You chancing of be killed in a car crash are ~50% higher than being killed by
someone shooting you.

So we better outlaw cars and trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Our doctors around here are not quite so anti gun, and if they were, she would answer the questions the same way. If the question were "in the house?" she'd either lie or walk out.
I wish I had the money in guns my Dentist spends on guns.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #13

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Someone sent this to me on Facebook. Thought I should share, kind of funny.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298896_2393310471346_1208446561_33119629_1373252_n .jpg

Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

With stats like that, makes me glad I'm not working in DC anymore.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:29 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
The usual reason Doctors want to know if there is a firearm in the home is so he will know how to treat folks with potential mental illness; it might make a difference in the way he treated someone who was depressed or might become suicidal. The other reason is to try to educate those who have firearms and children as to the need to protect one from the other. Judging by the number of kids who die by accidential/negligent wounds in the home, some folks never got the word. I just don't believe in some conspiricy by doctors to disarm the public, under the radar.

You do not have to tell the doctor anything you don't want to. I just don't understand folks who don't mind posting on the internet about their firearm ownership, for the whole world to see, but are uncomfortable with their Doctor knowing. If I didn't trust my doctor, I would just find another doctor, and not get all excited about it. I don't/didn't select my doctor, nor my children's doctors based on their politics. There are some damn good doctors who are liberal as hell.

As it happens my family doctor and I have bought, sold and traded firearms over the last 35 years.
that isnt why doctors put that on the form. its put there at the recomendation of the ama in an attempt to remove gun ownership. they collect this data then use it in propaganda.

more kids drown in the home in sinks toilets and bathtubs than are injured by firearms in the home. you dont see a question on any form asking if you own a toilet bathtub or sink...

children that are taught at an early age what firearms are and basic gun safety are not going to hurt themselves or others with a firearm. those children for whom firearms are kept under lock and key and never learn of them are the ones that get hurt.

gun injuries of children spiked drastically with the advent of gunlocks and the ridiculous idea children shouldnt be exposed to guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
You chancing of be killed in a car crash are ~50% higher than being killed by someone shooting you.

So we better outlaw cars and trucks.
your chances of being killed in a car crash are 68 times (several hundred %) greater than being killed by someone shooting you.

2007 motor vehicle deaths 42,000

2007 accidental deaths 600

Old 10-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #17

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
The usual reason Doctors want to know if there is a firearm in the home is so he will know how to treat folks with potential mental illness; it might make a difference in the way he treated someone who was depressed or might become suicidal. The other reason is to try to educate those who have firearms and children as to the need to protect one from the other. Judging by the number of kids who die by accidential/negligent wounds in the home, some folks never got the word. I just don't believe in some conspiricy by doctors to disarm the public, under the radar.

You do not have to tell the doctor anything you don't want to. I just don't understand folks who don't mind posting on the internet about their firearm ownership, for the whole world to see, but are uncomfortable with their Doctor knowing. If I didn't trust my doctor, I would just find another doctor, and not get all excited about it. I don't/didn't select my doctor, nor my children's doctors based on their politics. There are some damn good doctors who are liberal as hell.

As it happens my family doctor and I have bought, sold and traded firearms over the last 35 years.
My adverse reaction was not due to any concern about a Doctor knowing I own guns. I was the combination of this question landing between questions like, "have you ever suffered from a mental illness", and, "have you ever used illicit drugs, and, "how many sexual partners have you had".

It was very clear by both the questionaire and the attitude that THIS office saw gun ownership as a dangerous vice.

I've neither the time nor patience to explain myself to people who look down there noses at my heritage.

TACK.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Guns are deadly in the wrong hands, but be safely used in the hands of a resposible gun owner. They have started wars, and ended them. Innocent people have been killed by bad guys with them, and bad guys have been killed by innocent people with them.
There are very few gun related deaths in America. Especially when compared to other causes of deaths.
As for the Dr. knowing, that is none of his business. He may have a right to ask, but I have a right to not tell him. Luckily, I live in a very conservative area so most of the Dr. offices have hunting/gun magazines in the waiting room. One family doctor not too far from here is a big fan of ducks unlimited so he has an awesome waiting room full of posters, mags, and I think he had a few mounts too.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
your chances of being killed in a car crash are 68 times (several hundred %) greater than being killed by someone shooting you.

2007 motor vehicle deaths 42,000

2007 accidental deaths 600
Sweet! where did you find that number? the 600?

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Page 73
http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/6.0/Gun-Facts-v6.0-screen.pdf