Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > How Deadly are Firearms.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 713 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default How Deadly are Firearms.

I was just wondering how many people are kill by firearms in the US
every year. The rate for 2007, is 10.2 per every 100,000 people.
This is all death, suicide, murder, accidental discharge, etc.

So what then is the death rate for Motor Vehicles? 14.4 so maybe we
should out law cars and keep guns...

BTW the death rate for all causes is 760 per 100,000.
Cancer death rate is 178 per 100,000

References

Firearms Death Rate per 100,000 - Kaiser State Health Facts

Motor Vehicle Death Rate per 100,000 - Kaiser State Health Facts

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Last edited by Shade; 10-15-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #2

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Far as I can tell a firearm has never killed nor injured anyone. Now the person pulling the trigger is another matter...

On a serious note, be careful with the stats on firearms. Unlike a vehicle, a gun can be used for defense, for hunting, and to commit a crime. Anti-gunners like to combine all the stats together and publish "facts" that support their positions. In their eyes, a self defense shoot, an accidental shooting and a murder are all equal.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

There was a study that found you are 9 times more likely to be killed by a doctor than a firearm.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #4

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

I'm too technologically challenged to post the actual links...

Gunfacts.com...free download, lots of good...VERIFIED stats

Justfacts.com/gun control, more good reading

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #5

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Make no mistake. Firearms are deadly.

Unlike automobiles, or the practice of medicine, firearms are designed to be "deadly". You see, on this forum, daily questions related to which firearm/ammo is the most lethal, usually with the questioner searching for the most "deadly" firearm/ammo combination for his or her use.

The ability to destroy life, of either animals or humans, is the primary reason for the existance of firearms. Certainly they are also used by dedicated target shooters with non-lethal intent, but they can still become deadly if improperly used. Three situations come to mind that demonstrate the
usual ways in which firearms are "deadly".

1. Agressive or evil intent
2. Self protection from evil intent
3. Negligence or ignorance

Of the three, responsible gun owners strive to make sure their firearms are only deadly for number two above. While there are still people that will not believe that use of lethal force is warranted for the protection of the life of the potential victim, those folks are in the minority. Most people are reasonably rational. (politicans excepted)

Evil intent is not the intention of a great majority of gun owners, though there is a significant number of the other type to paint us all with the "evil" brush. It is easy for "non-gun" people to associate all gun owners with the "evil or nutty" element; that is why we see the anti-gun laws on the books.

Self protection is accepted by most of society as a reasonable extention to the concept of the "right to life, liberty and the persuit of happiness", although non-gun people would like to see us protect ourselfs with "kinder and gentler" non-leathal methods. Many times that attitude changes when a non-gun person's friends, family, or self becomes a victim of violence.

Negligence is in some ways is as bad, or worse than evil intent, as it is 100% preventable. Anyone who takes posession of a firearm should have enough respect for the "deadliness" of the tool to learn, understand and follow the nesessary safety precautions to prevent negligent/accidental injuries to people or property. There is no excuse, ever, for the negligent/accidental discharges to cause of injury to people or property. Every time some ignorant person "accidently" shoots someone, it is fuel for the fire of the antis.

There was a case, at the university that I work at, last fall, where a young man, who had been drinking all day, was showing off his AR to his girlfriend, when he "accidently" shot her in the chest, in his frat room, where she proceeded to die in her twin sister's arms. The young man was: 1. Handling the firearm while intoxicated, 2. He did not unload or clear the chamber, 3. He pointed it at her chest, and 4. He put his finger on the trigger. Crap like that is what we should all, as gun owners strive to prevent. When you see your fellow gunowners being unsafe, call them out on it and do it every time.

Reducing negligent deaths and injuries is one of the things we can and should do. When we do, it reduces the heat on the lawmakers to pass laws to "protect" the population.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #6

Liked 3705 Times on 1826 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
There was a study that found you are 9 times more likely to be killed by a doctor than a firearm.
I went to a "new" doctor about 10 years ago and the new patient question form had 1 question I took exception too. It asked "do you have firearms in your home".

I left it blank and the DR actually had the balls to ask me why I did not answer that question.

I responded with JTJ's reference above about how I was more likely to be killed by the DR than a gun, walked out of the appointment, stopped payment from my insurance carrier and documented the whole incident in a letter to the organization.

I don't know if that organization "Kaizer" droped that particular question but I've not seen it again on anyone's forms since.

TACK

Old 10-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #7

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

@tack, there are actually some pediatrician's who are refusing service to children whose parents own guns.

Just another scheme to disarm the public. I'll see if I can find some references again, and post some links.

Yeah, it's enough to piss me off, and I would have done the same thing, have done the same thing although for different reasons.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #8

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
@tack, there are actually some pediatrician's who are refusing service to children whose parents own guns.

Just another scheme to disarm the public. I'll see if I can find some references again, and post some links.

Yeah, it's enough to piss me off, and I would have done the same thing, have done the same thing although for different reasons.
The usual reason Doctors want to know if there is a firearm in the home is so he will know how to treat folks with potential mental illness; it might make a difference in the way he treated someone who was depressed or might become suicidal. The other reason is to try to educate those who have firearms and children as to the need to protect one from the other. Judging by the number of kids who die by accidential/negligent wounds in the home, some folks never got the word. I just don't believe in some conspiricy by doctors to disarm the public, under the radar.

You do not have to tell the doctor anything you don't want to. I just don't understand folks who don't mind posting on the internet about their firearm ownership, for the whole world to see, but are uncomfortable with their Doctor knowing. If I didn't trust my doctor, I would just find another doctor, and not get all excited about it. I don't/didn't select my doctor, nor my children's doctors based on their politics. There are some damn good doctors who are liberal as hell.

As it happens my family doctor and I have bought, sold and traded firearms over the last 35 years.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #9

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Doctors to Spy on Patients' Gun Ownership

Doctors, groups clash over asking patients about firearms - USATODAY.com

PolitiFact Florida | Florida lawmaker suggests doctors can use gun information against you

Ocala woman refused service from pediatrician for gun | Ocala.com

Guns, Physicians and Privacy | Uncommon Gunsense

Physicians on Guns and Violence

Bigots, Fools and Liarsoctors and Guns

Doctors against guns - Stormfront This one is a white pride forum, visit at your own discretion.

Archive | April 9, 2001 | Guns, health and busybody doctors

'60 Minutes' Lets Anti-Gun Docs Distort Issue Dude has a cool beard.

Doctors Divided on Guns - CBS News

I'll stop now.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

If you have a doctor that anti gun, do not let him know you own firearms or find a doctor that is not anti gun. All he has to do is send in a form that states you as mentally unstable and you no longer have any gun rights. You will lose your ccw and may have your firearms confiscated.
I went into the ER about 5 months ago and they asked me if I felt like harming anyone. If I had said yes I would have been turned into the government as unstable.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.