Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > How are CHL permits Constitional?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #21
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
You seem to disparage working within the system to improve things--"Yeah. Whatever," isn't exactly a ringing endorsement--and yet you still don't care to answer my question: What do YOU think we should DO, HERE and NOW? "That depends" isn't an answer. It's a dodge. If you've got a better course of action than supporting conservative candidates, let's hear it. I'll even settle for what you think ought to be done about the seizures you mentioned. So far, all I've seen is--well, impotent fulminations and complaints.
So there it is. I've said what I think we need to do, right here, right now. Got a better idea? I'm all ears.
The Constitution is the single finest legislation drafted by man. When elected and appointed government officials overtly betray their oaths to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution we are left with trying to change the situation through two methods: petitioning those in office to change their behavior, and voting them out of office in the hopes of replacing them with more upstanding individuals.

Faxing, calling, writing personal letters and emailing are great options which I encourage everyone to participate in HERE and NOW if you're not already. Be brief and articulate.

Voting is more problematic. Candidate selection is often a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils. I'm content to vote according to principles -- even if that means giving my vote to a third-party candidate who has no chance of winning.

When one considers the transgressions against the American people by their public servants, including illegal firearm seizures, onerous "gun control" laws, failure to enforce border security (and thus failure to comply with Article IV Section 4 of the Constitution), disgraceful eminent domain abuses, banning legal activities such as smoking and cooking with trans-fats, and countless other local infractions against the electorate, one is compelled to wonder "How much worse will this get before it gets better?" The situation is made worse by the Fourth Estate/Fifth Column -- the news media -- when very newsworthy stories are buried or go unreported. (Therein lies possibly the crux of the problem: people are truly ignorant of what is happening.)

The reasonably near future is likely to be dynamic and interesting. There are a number of scenarios that may make having water, food, and a healthy supply of ammunition on hand a very smart idea.

Please avert your eyes if you regard any hint of armed rebellion to be chest-thumping bravado.

The Founding Fathers were quite clear in stating that an oppressive government that serves itself before serving the people and which breaks its own laws should be overthrown by the people.

Last edited by bkt; 07-30-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #22

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Then we're agreed, on every single point. I even agree that outright revolution is a viable--no, an ESSENTIAL option if push ever comes to shove. Let's work to see that it never does.
It may surprise you to know that I keep my "urban survival kit" freshly stocked and ready. I don't hunt or participate in competitive shooting; my guns are for day-to-day protection, and "insurance" for the day the balloon goes up and civilization takes an extended holiday. God forbid that it ever happens, but if it does, the citizenry will be divided into two groups: the armed citizens--and prey.
I am an optimist, though, and I see much reason to remain optimistic. I agree with you that media bias is a HUGE part of the problem--but even there, there is much to celebrate. Fox News is KILLING the broadcast networks; talk radio is powerful enough for the Dems to openly express their fear and worry, while AirAmerica went belly-up--and why? Because the American people wouldn't buy what they were selling. The Left is celebrating the growing opposition to the Iraq war, but if you look a little deeper, they're on the run everywhere. "Fairness doctrine--" Look how scared they are! I don't even fear another Dem Administration; I predict that if Hillary gets in, she'll go too far and cause an enormous backlash. Remember Carter? Who did we get next, with overwhelming landslides?
Reagan.
Keep up the good work here (this is New Media that is helping break the back of the leftist MSM, too)--and trust the American people. I have great faith in their wisdom--as did the Founders.
Thanks for the conversation. Sorry if I got a bit snide--i just like to keep things grounded in the here-and-now instead of dwelling on how bad it MIGHT get. Shrugging off our current leaders' failings and throwing up our hands in disgust is a sure and certain route to losing our rights and making revolution necessary, and that kind of talk, IMHO, is more worrisome than anything Al Franken ever said.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #23
bkt

Yeah, I kinda figured we saw pretty much eye-to-eye.

Basic principles: exhaust every means and method at your disposal to legally and civilly express your political views. Do your level best to spread the knowledge you have to those who rely only on CBS and Oprah. Never tire at the thought of rebutting a false argument (particularly by the likes of Senator Biden).

But never, ever lose sight of what is important: liberation from an oppressive regime. Remember the words of Patrick Henry.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 AM   #24

No arguments here. I guess our biggest difference is that I don't think this regime quite rises to the level of "oppressive". I'd say it's a colossal pain in the ass, but not yet oppressive. Check back with me if Hillary gets in, though...
Have a great week, and keep 'em all in the x-ring--

Old 07-31-2007, 03:25 AM   #25

I feel morally obligated to expand on this just a bit. Do I think the commission of a crime--specifically, carrying an unlicensed handgun--would be justified if the alternative were going unarmed?

ABSOLUTELY.

I can safely say this, since the statute of limitations has long since run out on my illegal acts; but when Texas had no CCW law, and only peace officers could carry legally, concealed or not--I often carried a S & W model 649 .38 snubby in my front pants pocket. NO ONE knew I did this, not even my own wife. I never had to draw it, fortunately. I knew that if I ever did, it would have to be in a situation where going to prison would be PREFERABLE to leaving it in my pocket--life or death, in other words. The saying is, "better to be tried by twelve than carried by six."
Would I advocate committing this (let's call it what it is) CRIME in a state that had no CCW law today? Sure, as long as you understand that you most likely WILL suffer legal consequences if you get caught. That, and if you're bright enough to follow some essential rules, alluded to above: NO ONE knows you carry (no bragging or flashing, or even dropping hints); the gun is UNDETECTABLE to a casual observer--or even an alert one; the gun stays in the pocket till you're ready and willing to fire in earnest; and, finally, you don't shoot unless you're willing to shoot to kill, and then you do it.
If you don't think your life, or that of someone you love, is worth prison, then don't do this.
If you DO live in a CCW state, don't do this--because it would be DUMB. Get the damned permit, even if you don't think the government has the right to require it. It beats going to jail for a principle.
That's my opinion. If you choose to carry unlicensed, don't call it "civil disobedience". Call it what it is--violating the law. Do it only if you're prepared to accept the consequences.
(you don't have to plead guilty, though. Hire a smart lawyer and see if you can get off, just like the bad guys do. Just remember that Matlock is only a TV show, and you might not.)
And remember that advice is usually worth about what you've paid for it...

Old 07-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #26
bkt

In a previous post I asked:

Quote:
With all the gun-ban legislation proposals in New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Louisiana, Virginia, and elsewhere, what would you, as a law-abiding, trained, safe gun owner do if laws were passed that made guns you own illegal?

Would you obey the new laws and turn in or sell your guns and agree not to own that class of firearm anymore? Or would you instead quietly decide to keep your guns and by so doing deliberately break the law?
There is no way I would turn in my firearms. It has less to do about making a statement than about the reason for acquiring them in the first place: protection.

Laws must serve the people. Gun control laws do not serve the people; they serve criminals and those in government who fear the people.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #27

I'm with you. Cold dead fingers and all that. We will never end up like Britain, where your rifles and shotguns have to be kept locked up at the club and you can't own a handgun at all. Oh, we might have LAWS like that--but if we ever do, we'll also have tens of millions of "gun criminals." Like you and me.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:54 PM   #28

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"What do YOU think we should DO, HERE and NOW?"

Someone is going to have to get arrested, and using the courts, appeal the case to the USSC who may, or may not agree to hear the case. That will take lots of time and lots of money. We are seeing precisely that now in the Washington DC case, where the case is headed for the Supreme Court. Maybe next term? Let's hope it's still while there is a slim conservative majority. Who wants to volunteer?

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #29

"Bill of RIghts - Void where prohibited by law"

Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #30
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxpayer View Post
"Bill of RIghts - Void where prohibited by law"
That would be funny if it weren't so deadly-serious accurate.