How can we repeal the Hughes Amendment?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > How can we repeal the Hughes Amendment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How can we repeal the Hughes Amendment?

any ideas? should we go though congress when we hold both the congress and the white house,or should we try the courts?

what is your take on the hughes amendment?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #2

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

My take?

It is unconstitutional, that simple.

I signed a petition with a few fellows not very long ago. That one disappeared pretty quickly.

There were about 70,000 signatures.

For this one, you're going to need a strategy. A very good one. You will also need a lot of financial stability if you're going the court route.

I would create a non profit, develop petitions and contact some pretty big members in the pro gun show like Wayne himself at the NRA. This is something I just can't do right now.. Times are really tough.

You're talking about the Hughes Amendment here.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1365 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 3441

I would recommend that you make contact with your Congressmen and Senators in your state first to find out where they stand on the Hughes Amendment. Then take their response and send it to the NRA. Unless of course like Zoey said, you have some powerful friends with deep pockets that can take the fight to the White House on your behalf.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #4

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Unconstitutional as ALL HELL!

The Ammendment was included in final legislation despite suffering majority defeat in a confusing relay of multiple amendments being considered.

Regains failure to "line item veto" the Hughes Ammendment is one of the biggest disappointments of his Presidency.

Tack

Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2130 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 635

https://www.facebook.com/RepealHughes

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Hate hate crap like that, that makes you have to sign up for facebook to do something.

No offense meant your way JTJ.

Last edited by Gone_South; 09-04-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
I would recommend that you make contact with your Congressmen and Senators in your state first to find out where they stand on the Hughes Amendment. Then take their response and send it to the NRA. Unless of course like Zoey said, you have some powerful friends with deep pockets that can take the fight to the White House on your behalf.
I dont think the NRA will do anything to reapeal any laws...i mean it would be great if every gun owner gave 5 or 10 bunks to the cause.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey View Post
My take?

It is unconstitutional, that simple.

I signed a petition with a few fellows not very long ago. That one disappeared pretty quickly.

There were about 70,000 signatures.

For this one, you're going to need a strategy. A very good one. You will also need a lot of financial stability if you're going the court route.

I would create a non profit, develop petitions and contact some pretty big members in the pro gun show like Wayne himself at the NRA. This is something I just can't do right now.. Times are really tough.

You're talking about the Hughes Amendment here.
Would a non-profit fall under the title of such a cause? i mean it thought non-profits where supposed not be poltical.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2186 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 3327

Its easy.

Find a pro-gun congressman whos as passionate in his support of the Second Amendment as Hughes is passionate about gun control. Have that pro-gunner slip a rider into some must have legislation.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5954 Times on 3371 Posts
Likes Given: 5524

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Its easy.

Find a pro-gun congressman whos as passionate in his support of the Second Amendment as Hughes is passionate about gun control. Have that pro-gunner slip a rider into some must have legislation.
Al is spot on.

Like any other law, you get a member of the congress to introduce legislation to pass, or kill a particulaer law, then you get everyone on this forum, and all of the others to write letters to their representives and/or senators asking for their support.

Winston Churchill