Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   How can we repeal the Hughes Amendment? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/how-can-we-repeal-hughes-amendment-71771/)

buildthedamnfence 09-04-2012 06:51 AM

How can we repeal the Hughes Amendment?

any ideas? should we go though congress when we hold both the congress and the white house,or should we try the courts?

what is your take on the hughes amendment?

Rarity 09-04-2012 10:37 AM

My take?

It is unconstitutional, that simple.

I signed a petition with a few fellows not very long ago. That one disappeared pretty quickly.

There were about 70,000 signatures.

For this one, you're going to need a strategy. A very good one. You will also need a lot of financial stability if you're going the court route.

I would create a non profit, develop petitions and contact some pretty big members in the pro gun show like Wayne himself at the NRA. This is something I just can't do right now.. Times are really tough.

You're talking about the Hughes Amendment here. :p

TDS92A 09-04-2012 08:16 PM

I would recommend that you make contact with your Congressmen and Senators in your state first to find out where they stand on the Hughes Amendment. Then take their response and send it to the NRA. Unless of course like Zoey said, you have some powerful friends with deep pockets that can take the fight to the White House on your behalf.

Tackleberry1 09-04-2012 08:31 PM

Unconstitutional as ALL HELL!

The Ammendment was included in final legislation despite suffering majority defeat in a confusing relay of multiple amendments being considered.

Regains failure to "line item veto" the Hughes Ammendment is one of the biggest disappointments of his Presidency.

Tack

JTJ 09-04-2012 10:16 PM

https://www.facebook.com/RepealHughes

Gone_South 09-04-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 928120)

Hate hate crap like that, that makes you have to sign up for facebook to do something.

No offense meant your way JTJ.

buildthedamnfence 09-06-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDS92A (Post 928015)
I would recommend that you make contact with your Congressmen and Senators in your state first to find out where they stand on the Hughes Amendment. Then take their response and send it to the NRA. Unless of course like Zoey said, you have some powerful friends with deep pockets that can take the fight to the White House on your behalf.

I dont think the NRA will do anything to reapeal any laws...i mean it would be great if every gun owner gave 5 or 10 bunks to the cause.

buildthedamnfence 09-06-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoey (Post 927508)
My take?

It is unconstitutional, that simple.

I signed a petition with a few fellows not very long ago. That one disappeared pretty quickly.

There were about 70,000 signatures.

For this one, you're going to need a strategy. A very good one. You will also need a lot of financial stability if you're going the court route.

I would create a non profit, develop petitions and contact some pretty big members in the pro gun show like Wayne himself at the NRA. This is something I just can't do right now.. Times are really tough.

You're talking about the Hughes Amendment here. :p

Would a non-profit fall under the title of such a cause? i mean it thought non-profits where supposed not be poltical.

alsaqr 09-06-2012 09:11 PM

Its easy.

Find a pro-gun congressman whos as passionate in his support of the Second Amendment as Hughes is passionate about gun control. Have that pro-gunner slip a rider into some must have legislation.

locutus 09-08-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alsaqr (Post 930787)
Its easy.

Find a pro-gun congressman whos as passionate in his support of the Second Amendment as Hughes is passionate about gun control. Have that pro-gunner slip a rider into some must have legislation.

Al is spot on.

Like any other law, you get a member of the congress to introduce legislation to pass, or kill a particulaer law, then you get everyone on this forum, and all of the others to write letters to their representives and/or senators asking for their support.