How Can I Legally Carry A Handgun In My OTR Truck? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > How Can I Legally Carry A Handgun In My OTR Truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
I will check out those resources you posted for sure but could you tell me how much permits usually cost and how much time is envolved in applying for them? Thanks!
Florida cost ~$200 total; CCL class, state fees, passport photo........

Takes about 90 days for processing.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Yes, Utah and Florida are two of the more popular non-resident permits.
Exactly right. And reciprocity with a permit from one or both of these states will go a long way to covering the lower 48.

New York has no reciprocity with any other state. Getting caught with a handgun in your possession in New York without a permit will land you in far more trouble than you want. Either don't bring the gun or stay out of New York. I recommend the latter.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #13

Default GA Reciprocity

Ryevick:

Be advised that GA concealed permits are good in various states with which GA has a reciprocal agreement in this regard. The list of states, and other useful information, can be found HERE.

The states with which GA has a reciprocal agreement are: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

Additionally, as to your question about the cost/ time associated with getting a license, be advised that this is a county-by-county process. In my county (Fulton), you are required to pay $30 (cash or check) to the Fulton County Probate Court, and $45 (money order). The wait time varies, and I'm not sure there is an official position on what it is.

I hope this information helps you out, and if you need a Taurus 738TCP for your glove box, let me know. I've got one with two rounds down the pipe and I hate the way it sits in my hand. In short, I'll be very reasonable on a trade

Best regards,

AiA

Old 08-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedInAtlanta View Post
Ryevick:

Be advised that GA concealed permits are good in various states with which GA has a reciprocal agreement in this regard. The list of states, and other useful information, can be found HERE.

The states with which GA has a reciprocal agreement are: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

Additionally, as to your question about the cost/ time associated with getting a license, be advised that this is a county-by-county process. In my county (Fulton), you are required to pay $30 (cash or check) to the Fulton County Probate Court, and $45 (money order). The wait time varies, and I'm not sure there is an official position on what it is.

I hope this information helps you out, and if you need a Taurus 738TCP for your glove box, let me know. I've got one with two rounds down the pipe and I hate the way it sits in my hand. In short, I'll be very reasonable on a trade

Best regards,

AiA
+1. Here in Savannah, the fees total $75. Also be aware that the law that pertains to you will also have something to do with your destination. If you are driving THRU a non-reciprocal state, you may be required to have it stored somewhere other than the cab separated from its ammo. But if you are driving TO a non-reciprocal state, you may be prohibited from having it period.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #15

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

First the disclaimer-I'm not a lawyer, seek legal

counsel before considering breaking any laws.

Not what to do, but what I did.

Moved to Florida. Established residence. Got an in-state CCW(CWP).

Florida has a high rate of state reciprocity, @ 36 states, IIRC.

IF you

want to CCW OTR, know all the laws of the states you pass through.

Two lock-boxes, one for ammo, one for the gun, is the federal

mandate. But you may be taking your chances with states which

treat your constitutional rights with the respect you might see from

a com-bloc country, such as CA, NJ, or NY.

If you decide to carry anyway in places like NJ or NY, you are gambling on

facing a judge, be he tough or lenient.

Vote with your wallet. This is especially important for individuals like

YOU, OP, who can pick and choose to buy fuel and food and

lodging in reciprocity states. Join the NRA. (Yes, now.)

Google handgunlawus.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Exactly right. And reciprocity with a permit from one or both of these states will go a long way to covering the lower 48.

New York has no reciprocity with any other state. Getting caught with a handgun in your possession in New York without a permit will land you in far more trouble than you want. Either don't bring the gun or stay out of New York. I recommend the latter.
Can I get the Fla and Utah permits online or do I have to apply in person?

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I recieved this reply from a truck driver in a different forum. Can anyone confirm or comment on this? Thanks

Are you saying "...what steps you need to take to 'legally' carry?" If so, well, there are no such steps. At least that is what I have been told by numerous DOT officers, Virginia state troopers, and my buddy that is a Commonwealth Attorny of VA. I hold a concealed weapons permit in VA. It is good in VA, WVA, and TN. The reason you can't carry "legally" in a truck is because trucking is a federally regulated industry. Your permit is issued by the state. The federal government does not issue concealed weapons permits. They allow for a Class III weapon license, which I also hold (as a collector) but that is a completely different subject. In short, if you are carrying a firearm in your truck, you are committing a federal offense! Period!

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 08-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

scary!
Maybe you should look into a black powder revolver in .44 and one of those "howdah hunter" shorty double-barreled BP shotguns. I would NOT want to get shot with my Pietta Remington replica in .44. The Pietta Remingtons run about $200, no FFL required and they aren't considered "firearms" by the ATF. There are a couple of states that would probably have issues even with that, though (NY & ?).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Revolvers%7C/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104503680/Pietta-Model-1858-New-Army-44-Caliber-Revolver/731695.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshoot ing-black-powder-revolvers%2F_%2FN-1100201%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104503680%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat10 4792580%253Bcat104701680&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104792 580%3Bcat104701680%3Bcat104503680
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Davide-Pedersoli-Howdah-Hunter-20-GA-Pistol/740261.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2 Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fs ch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dhowdah%26WTz _l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=howdah&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #19

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

In Florida, as I understand it, you don't have to have anything, except for no criminal history, to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle. No three step rule or any such nonsense. The firearm must be in a closed container; snapped holster, glove box, etc. You could even have it in a shoe box, beside you as long as it had a cover.

Of course you do need a permit if it is on your person.

But don't take my word for it. All of the states have the statutes online. Read them; if there is any doubt, contact an attorney that tries gun cases in your state.

In Florida we have an excellent reference to firearms laws, written in plain language, with examples, and written by an attorney that tries firearm cases for a living. It updated every 6 months. It is the best way to understand Fl. laws. Some of the stories will scare the hell out of you. A heck of a good investment for Floridians.

(nope, I aint associated with him)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #20

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
I recieved this reply from a truck driver in a different forum. Can anyone confirm or comment on this? Thanks

Are you saying "...what steps you need to take to 'legally' carry?" If so, well, there are no such steps. At least that is what I have been told by numerous DOT officers, Virginia state troopers, and my buddy that is a Commonwealth Attorny of VA. I hold a concealed weapons permit in VA. It is good in VA, WVA, and TN. The reason you can't carry "legally" in a truck is because trucking is a federally regulated industry. Your permit is issued by the state. The federal government does not issue concealed weapons permits. They allow for a Class III weapon license, which I also hold (as a collector) but that is a completely different subject. In short, if you are carrying a firearm in your truck, you are committing a federal offense! Period!
This, in my understanding, is spot on. Coming from a family filled with OTR truck drivers, it has always been a concern for them, or at least those into firearms and CC.

Its a shame really and there should be something done about it but I don't see federal CWP's being handed out anywhere in the near future, although some sort of exemption would work just as well I suppose...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun