Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   How Can I Legally Carry A Handgun In My OTR Truck? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/how-can-i-legally-carry-handgun-my-otr-truck-46667/)

ryevick 08-11-2011 06:41 PM

How Can I Legally Carry A Handgun In My OTR Truck?
 
I drive most all of the lower 48... I rarely travel north of New York. I want to know what steps I need to take to legality carry a handgun in my truck. If I got a license for it in my home state (Ga), is that going to be valid in other states? Please help... thanks.

Rick1967 08-11-2011 06:56 PM

That is a tough question. Laws vary from state to state. Some states honor my Colorado Permit. Some don't. Some allow you to carry in your car with out a permit. Some strickly forbid it. You realy need to check the regulations for each state where you will be traveling.

ryevick 08-11-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 560772)
That is a tough question. Laws vary from state to state. Some states honor my Colorado Permit. Some don't. Some allow you to carry in your car with out a permit. Some strickly forbid it. You realy need to check the regulations for each state where you will be traveling.

Is there a difference between a permit and a conceal carry permit or are all permits concealed carry permits? And which would I need?

Rick1967 08-11-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryevick (Post 560778)
Is there a difference between a permit and a conceal carry permit or are all permits concealed carry permits? And which would I need?

There are different types of permits depending on where you live. I have a concealed carry permit. That is all that Colorado requires. This is a very gun friendly state. Some states require a permit to purchase a gun. Some cities even have tighter restrictions.

Chicago just enacted a law that says you can not leave your home with a gun period. They have outlawed gun dealerships and shooting ranges within the city limits. The NRA has filed suite against the city. Part of the ban has already been struck down. But it is still a fight.

Seriously, do your research before carrying in your truck. Some states love us. Others hate us. California is full of haters.

ryevick 08-11-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 560795)
Some states love us. Others hate us. California is full of haters.

Yep, I'm sitting in LA right now. Can you have more than one state permit?

canebrake 08-11-2011 08:00 PM

This is my go-to site when I travel:

Handgunlaw.us

This will also help:

Concealed Carry and Travel Resources

canebrake 08-11-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryevick (Post 560812)
Can you have more than one state permit?

Yes, Utah and Florida are two of the more popular non-resident permits.

ryevick 08-11-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 560822)
Yes, Utah and Florida are two of the more popular non-resident permits.

How long are permits good for usually?

canebrake 08-11-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryevick (Post 560824)
How long are permits good for usually?

My Florida permit is good for 7 years.

ryevick 08-11-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 560825)
My Florida permit is good for 7 years.

I will check out those resources you posted for sure but could you tell me how much permits usually cost and how much time is envolved in applying for them? Thanks!


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.