Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   House Bill 1016: Washington State's LEGAL Suppressor USAGE Bill (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/house-bill-1016-washington-states-legal-suppressor-usage-bill-39836/)

Dillinger 03-15-2011 08:53 PM

House Bill 1016: Washington State's LEGAL Suppressor USAGE Bill

So as I have shared with some of you in the past, Washington has one of the dumbest laws ever concerning Firearms Suppressors.

In this state, it is legal to OWN a suppressor as it is in any other "free" state, however it is ILLEGAL to actually use the suppressor in any form or action.

Yes, you read that right. I can buy a suppressor, pay a $200 tax stamp, wait 4 to 6 months for the background check and "approval" to have a $1,000 can sitting in my safe that can not be used ANYWHERE in my home state. :confused::mad:

Well, thanks to the hands of Brian Blake ( Democrat believe it or not), there is hope.

House Bill 1016, which makes it legal for the legal owner of a suppressor to use said suppressor for training, shooting or hunting, passed both the House (88-4 on the 7th of Feb ) and the Senate ( Yay on the 10th of March ) and has now been refered to the Rules and Means Committee for a Second Reading.

According to the Information Officer, the reading is to verify that the original bill was not modified in either the House or the Senate, which it apparently was not, and if the Rules Committee it is in it's original form, it will come out for a vote as early as April.

So if you folks have a spare second and want to help the good folks of Washington State out, would you mind making a call to Brian's office (phone: 360-786-7870) or shooting him an e-mail and letting him know the good folks of FTF are behind him and are watching. :D

Please??

Thanks,

JD

NitroxAZ 03-15-2011 08:59 PM

Your link was no good, but I found this one and sent him an e-mail. Rep. Brian Blake | Washington State House Democrats

Dillinger 03-15-2011 09:01 PM

Crap. It worked when I was playing with it to get the URL coding right, but you are correct.

Thanks for fixing it and taking the time to help out. :cool::D

JD

Dillinger 03-15-2011 09:28 PM

Got a response back from Brian, or his office:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Blake
As a life Endowment member of the NRA, it is an easy Bill for me to support. Brian Blake

Pretty cool.

ballfan4141 03-16-2011 01:55 AM

what is the law in pennsylvania. can you legally own them or go to go through the more extensive background check? do people not realize that most guns by the common criminals are junk guns (which means those with more expensives guns are responsible owners)

skyhawk 03-16-2011 03:15 AM

This is good news for us here in Washington State. I have always thought the law to be extremely strange. Seems like they were promoting the "Well we don't want you to use a suppressor, but if you have to..." As I think about the WA gun laws they actually are not that bad.

Thanks for the post. I was not aware and will send an e-mail shortly

canebrake 03-16-2011 05:51 AM

eMail sent, don't know how long it takes to get there from S. FL.

NitroxAZ 03-16-2011 01:53 PM

I have not received a response yet but I will post when I do.

dog2000tj 03-16-2011 02:15 PM

email sent ;)