House approves national concealed carry gun bill. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > House approves national concealed carry gun bill.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 803 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 1657

Default Hr 822

With all due respect to the State's rights crowd here, I live in a pretty good area to be a gun owner (North Carolina to be exact.. GOD BLESS DIXIE!!), but I feel for my fellow shooters in other states that do NOT have the previlages I enjoy... plus if I decide to travel AND wish to have the ability to defend myself as a law-abiding citizen of the UNITED States I am of the mind that this would be good for everyone involved... especially me!!
Anyone that knows me (..either in person, or through my post here) has probably heard me preach this sermon before, so please forgive me for repeating myself; If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times.. If you want gun violence, Hell... violent crime in general, to keep going down (FBI statistics will bear me out on that statement; FBI — Latest Crime Statistics: Volumes Continue to Fall ) ...three things need to happen; 1) The background check system needs to be shored up (the Virginia Tech shooter got all his guns legally... and the Columbine teens got theirs through a "straw sale" from an adult) because we can all agree there are just some people in our midst that DO NOT need to get their hands on a firearm of ANY KIND.... and 2) We need to do away with these "Gun Free" zones that restrict the LAW ABIDING citizen w/ a CCW to protect themselves (see the previous cases at VT, Columbine... and the Long Island railroad, Loopy's Restaurant, Fort Hood, etc etc) because all those stupid little signs and stickers insure is a high body count for the criminally minded and mentally unstable... and finally 3) We need to let law abiding US citizens arm themselves in ALL 50 states (You listening Illinois... you are the LAST holdout now!!) and ALL municipalities (DC, NYC, NJ.. I'm looking your way!!) and to have those carry permits recognized in said all 50 states (Maryland.. are you listening??) All of the states seem to recognize my driver's license... and that's for a 3000 to 5000 pound bullet called my car.

People who decide not to carry (and that's fine, it's still a free country... for now) need to realize that they too benefit from carry/conceal laws... Because the bad guys in those areas (where it is allowed) roll the dice every time they decide to act in a criminal manner.

At this point I would consider any of the 3 above ratified as federal law a step in the right direction.... and a HUGE victory.

Of course I do understand the apathy of some here... and recognize that the Federal Gov could screw up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich... They can't seem to find their @$$ with both hands and a schematic these days!!

Last edited by NC1760; 11-22-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #12

Liked 1181 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 373

This is a very double edged sword.

While you might get the legal authority to carry concealed in other states you will still have to abide by the laws of that state just like driving. But unlike driving the penalty for failing to know your in a state that doesn't allow right on red will not result in a ticket but in a long prison sentence. I'm sure for many states this is not an issue but some of the more anti-gun states have some very restrictive laws that must be followed.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #13

I have a question about how this will work. Example I live in the great state of Vermont that doesn't require a CCW permit as long as u legally own you can carry concealed. So does that mean I will be required to get a CCW permit from another state or since Vermont has no law then I can carry based on Vermont law? Anyone know?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #14

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22scout
I have a question about how this will work. Example I live in the great state of Vermont that doesn't require a CCW permit as long as u legally own you can carry concealed. So does that mean I will be required to get a CCW permit from another state or since Vermont has no law then I can carry based on Vermont law? Anyone know?
My understanding has been that vermont residents have always had to get a non resident permit in another state that other states reciprocate with (for traveling outside the state of vermont). I don't know if this is true, but if it is, then it may not change for you. Except that if you get a non resident permit, then all states will have to honor it and not just a select few (unless some states can opt out)

That is based off of the very little knowledge I have of vermont's status, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

It worries me. Any time the Feds pass a law like this, they reserve the right to revoke it at any time. They could end up with the Federal CWP being the only one, them proclaim them null and void.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wverything that the FEDS get into turnes to s%^t! I dont want them to get involved.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This could also be part of the ongoing effort to eliminate states' rights and sovereignty and put the federal gov'mt in control as the only lawmaking entity.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
This could also be part of the ongoing effort to eliminate states' rights and sovereignty and put the federal gov'mt in control as the only lawmaking entity.
Key words there, and spoken for truth. If or when they finally get their way, the federal government will be the supreme law of the land. Not the constitution, not state constitutions, and not land/property owners. They already have this really annoying habit of telling people what they can and can't do within the four walls of their own home, and the only thing they really want is more money, and a complete totalitarian authority, so that they will have even more complete control over their "subjects".

Old 11-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It really is difficult to clen up a mess and get things going right again. Look at Egypt. They fought for and won their freedom, now the military gurus are trying to turn it into a dictatorship under military authority.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #20

I think that it would be easier in some cases to have to rebuild something, than to try to fix it.