Home invasion - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Home invasion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
Your state statutes will be online, read them. If you don't understand what you read, have an attorney explain it to you. Do not depend on anyone who will not go to court with you to answer your questions. Don't depend on cops, as they rarely know the law and they will tell you B.S., I know, I have had them tell me about laws that do not exist.

Home invasion suggest someone attempting to forcefully enter your home. I wouldn't care what state law said at that point. Someone pounding down my door is someone who is going to get shot.

If Illinois laws do not support the people on an issue like this, you need some new lawmakers. You can do that, you know.
Same here also. If u r in my home where my wife n kid sleep and u were not welcomed in. U r getting shot. Not in the face, but I would aim torso or lower.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7088 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 8583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I wouldn't warn. If 'someone' also had a gun, shotgun, etc, and heard, "I am armed", 'someone' may decide they should just shoot first.
Good point. But I was thinking if you shoot someone and you warned them first, they have a chance to 'chance their minds'. It's kind of like "Don't say I didn't warn you!"

Old 03-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #13

Liked 2487 Times on 1115 Posts
Likes Given: 2390

So if someone breaks into your home and threatens you, you aren't going to fight back because it's against the law. Would you just stand there and let them kill you because you are afraid of some stupid law? If that's the case I'd be moving out of that state.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
...If that's the case I'd be moving out of that state.
Especially, if that state was leading the nation in total gun violence.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

As others have said, if your life, or a loved one's is genuinely in danger, then common sense prevails, and you do what you have to do.
Response should be commensurate with the threat. And even when you do find the statute that addresses self-defense issues, I would also want to
look up some prior cases for say...the last five or ten years, and see how your jurisdiction has interpreted/applied that law. Every human being is
entitled (or should be) with the right to protect themselves. You just have to be smart about it, and not open up a bigger can of worms than need be.

Rufus

Old 03-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #16

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

In Chicago you can only shoot in your house as a last resort, which means even though you warned the person he's still coming at you. Shoot someone on your doorstep and you're going to jail guaranteed.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In Illinois you can only shoot as a LAST resort. You must keep retreating, either out of the house or in a room. You should be on the phone with 911 describing the situation as clearly as possible. If you are trapped in a room and the intruder comes in, after you have warned them multiple times only then can you shoot at the intruder. DO NOT ever shoot them while you are outside your home, or when the intruder is outside or just inside your home. It's always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, but don't forget in Illinois the 12 will most likely believe you are guilty even before the trial starts.

Beretta Neos .22lr, SA XDm .45, Colt Cobra .38 Special, Remington 1100 12 guage, Browning Citori 20 guage, New England Firearms 20 guage...

Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As regards to your ammo question, ask your local police department what kind they use. If its good for them than it must be good for you.

Beretta Neos .22lr, SA XDm .45, Colt Cobra .38 Special, Remington 1100 12 guage, Browning Citori 20 guage, New England Firearms 20 guage...

Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah like I'm gonna retreat out of my home. Screw that! Why should I have to leave MY home. And why should I have to tell him or them, I'm armed. If u r in my home u r getting shot. Why warn them, so they can be ready to shoot first. I have my wife and kid in my home. If I die, most likely they r dying. So I would rather take the risk of going to prison than having my daughter or wife shot or raped. Now if the guy retreats I would call 911 and leave it at that or if he outside or by a window I wouldn't shoot just because if he falls outside I'm screwed. But if there's more than one I'm def aiming. I will aim first, say don't ***** move, if they do anything stupid after that. BANG!<**>

Old 03-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know u guys r helping me out with this. I'm not getting loud or nothing with u guys. But I hate that law. If someone's in your house waking u up in the middle of the night, u should be able to take immediate action. U know they're not there to fix u breakfast in bed. Stupid lawmakers.