Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Home invasion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Home invasion

I live in Illinois. And was wondering if someone was in my home when I came home, or if Im home and hear someone breaking in it, do I have the right to shoot them. If they r inside. Does anyone know the laws on this in Illinois. And what type ammo would be considered illegal to use and weapon also. I know ppl say if u feel u r in danger of life then it justifiable. But if someone's in my home I feel I am in danger and have the right to shoot them. I don't want to be the one getting shot first u know.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No offense intended, but for such an important question, you'd be a fool to take the advice/word of total strangers on the internet- I don't care how knowledgeable or authoritative they come off as. There's too much at stake to not get the word from the proper source. Besides, laws are always changing, and what was valid yesterday, may not be today- and what is valid today, may not be tomorrow.
Start by contacting your local PD, and your local SO. See if you can get a reference to the actual codified bill/law(s) that addresses the issue.

Rufus <<okay, stepping off soapbox>>

Last edited by RufusTFirefly; 03-24-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6656 Times on 4027 Posts
Likes Given: 7911

I live in Illinois. I would only shoot someone in my home if I felt they were going to do me some grave harm. I would lock myself in my bedroom or bathroom, I would warn I am armed and calling the police and I would shoot only if they started kicking down the door to the room I was in. That is my personal thoughts. I do believe it is legal to defend oneself in one's home BUT you better be able to show that you felt you were in imminent danger.

There was an incident in my town many years ago where a family had a schizophrenic son who often came to his parents home to threaten and sometimes beat his parents. The parents would always try to keep him at bay until the police came. This had happened numerous times. One night the grown kid came to his parents house and began to terrorize his parents. The Father and son were going round and round the pool table until, in fear, the Dad grabbed a gun as he passed it and shot his own son dead. The situation was investigated and no one was arrested and it was all dropped as justifiable self defense. There was documentation of numerous calls to that house because of this son.

Though Rufustfirefly has the ultimate answer. Ask what the laws are. I think your best bet is to avoid confrontation if possible. I'd even run out of the house if I could, first.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 03-24-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1660 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 529

The police will file a contact report and they are not lawyers. Talk to an attourney versed in firearm law or contact the NRA. The NRA can connect you with the proper people or references.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusTFirefly View Post
No offense intended, but for such an important question, you'd be a fool to take the advice/word of total strangers on the internet- I don't care how knowledgeable or authoritative they come off as. There's too much at stake to not get the word from the proper source. Besides, laws are always changing, and what was valid yesterday, may not be today- and what is valid today, may not be tomorrow.
Start by contacting your local PD, and your local SO. See if you can get a reference to the actual codified bill/law(s) that addresses the issue.

Rufus <<okay, stepping off soapbox>>
Absolutely +1

Old 03-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

As the frail old man said: I am an old man who cannot run away or defend myself with my bare hands. So, anyone who comes within 21-feet of me is considered a threat.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #7

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Nvr, look up Illinios criminal code of 1961 (720 ILCS 5/) Section 7, and 7-2b...from what I can gather the IL castle doctrine is pretty weak and open to A LOT of interpretation...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1599 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I live in Illinois. I would only shoot someone in my home if I felt they were going to do me some grave harm. I would lock myself in my bedroom or bathroom, I would warn I am armed and calling the police and I would shoot only if they started kicking down the door to the room I was in. . .
I wouldn't warn. If 'someone' also had a gun, shotgun, etc, and heard, "I am armed", 'someone' may decide they should just shoot first.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #9

Liked 1063 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Your state statutes will be online, read them. If you don't understand what you read, have an attorney explain it to you. Do not depend on anyone who will not go to court with you to answer your questions. Don't depend on cops, as they rarely know the law and they will tell you B.S., I know, I have had them tell me about laws that do not exist.

Home invasion suggest someone attempting to forcefully enter your home. I wouldn't care what state law said at that point. Someone pounding down my door is someone who is going to get shot.

If Illinois laws do not support the people on an issue like this, you need some new lawmakers. You can do that, you know.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 03-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I wouldn't warn. If 'someone' also had a gun, shotgun, etc, and heard, "I am armed", 'someone' may decide they should just shoot first.
That's what I was thinking. And if u barricade yourself in a bathroom and the intruder starts raining buckshot through the door. U r most likely getting killed.