Holding a criminal at gun point - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Holding a criminal at gun point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, so many of you are pretty much saying you would commit murder if a bad guy was backing out of your house and showing no threat. And for the idea that if you don't shoot the bad guy, he could go enter some other house, you can't shoot someone based on the chance that he might do something bad, legally or morally. Some of you all need to rethink your morals and how you would handle certain situations of you want to be responsible gun owners.

When it comes down to it, you're right, protect yourself and your family, and that's it.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
I have the right to make a citizen's arrest for a felony being committed in my presence, using any force needed to overcome bad guy's resistance up to and including death if necessary.
Jim.........
No kidding? I read your post and assumed you were in Arizona, then I saw you're in Commifornia. Wow! I'm amazed they haven't passed a bill to remove that right too. It's hard to believe Mexafornia has a law that makes that much sense.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #13

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You have a BG (felony break-in) in your house and you are worried about the legality of your use of a firearm to hold him for the police to arrive??

Problem solved, call the corner, not the cops.

Moral issues? Remember, it was the BG that made the decision to put you and your family at risk.

NO ISSUE for me.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #14

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You have a BG (felony break-in) in your house and you are worried about the legality of your use of a firearm to hold him for the police to arrive??

Moral issues? Remember, it was the BG that made the decision to put you and your family at risk.

NO ISSUE for me.
there nuff said

i have seen the light

Old 05-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #15

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

is rosie o'donnell visiting the FTF website?

Old 05-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The drunken mistake happened to me, late last year. I woke up to a dude passed out in my living room. Slightly different situation, as he posed no immediate threat to me or my wife. But his entire upper body was covered with a big puffy coat, so I couldn't see his hands, or what he might have in them. I'll condense the story to this: there was a .357 pointed in his general direction until the Sheriff's deputies arrived. Had he moved or made any threatening actions, I'm not sure the outcome would have been pretty for either of us.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
The drunken mistake happened to me, late last year. I woke up to a dude passed out in my living room. Slightly different situation, as he posed no immediate threat to me or my wife. But his entire upper body was covered with a big puffy coat, so I couldn't see his hands, or what he might have in them. I'll condense the story to this: there was a .357 pointed in his general direction until the Sheriff's deputies arrived. Had he moved or made any threatening actions, I'm not sure the outcome would have been pretty for either of us.
Exactly my point. I'm sure you're glad you didn't end his life. It sounds like most people in this thread would have.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
Exactly my point. I'm sure you're glad you didn't end his life. It sounds like most people in this thread would have.
One thing that I learned from my experience is that you may think you will be composed and rational if/when it happens to you, but more likely you will not. Things that seem like common sense will completely escape you. And the experience will stick with you for far longer than you might think. Just last week I was nearly asleep when I heard what I thought sounded like someone kicking in the downstairs window. I couldn't go back to sleep until I "cleared" the house, flashlight in one hand, pistol in the other.

I don't believe anyone here would truly have pulled the trigger on a passed out drunk in their house either, but until you live it, you can't really say. I know my answers to threads/questions like this changed after my experience.

And yes, I'm glad I didn't end him for raiding my fridge. Not the Christmas memory I want for the rest of my life.

Last edited by russ; 05-08-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
I don't think anyone here would shoot a sleeping drunk! ? ! Good lord ! ! ! How could you even say such a thing sir ?! ?!?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I don't think anyone here would shoot a sleeping drunk! ? ! Good lord ! ! ! How could you even say such a thing sir ?! ?!?
Well, this is what led me to say such a thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
And who would be there to say he was fleeing??? My house, my property, If I shoot someone there will be only one witness at the grand jury... Me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Once someone intentionally enters your home uninvited, the attack has begun! I (and many others I'm sure) would probably react as soon as the break in or entry occurs, so a flee may not have been an option to the intruder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
If I am in fear enough to pull my weapon, there are going to be fireworks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

NO ISSUE for me.