Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Here in the U.K.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Here in the U.K.......

Hi, My first Posting.
Here in the U.K. it is a fairly difficult thing to obtain a shotgun Certificate, and even more difficult to get a Firearms licence.We accept this, without question, what if you 2nd Amendment was taken away from you overnight?.
and you had the same conditions we have here in the U.K. to obtain a licence for guns?.making obtaining say anything above a .22 very difficult to obtain.as it is here in the U.K.?.
Jungleman.

There is no such thing as a problem,only a solution.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #2

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

There would be war here and a nasty one

Old 04-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
Hi, My first Posting.
Here in the U.K. it is a fairly difficult thing to obtain a shotgun Certificate, and even more difficult to get a Firearms licence.We accept this, without question, what if you 2nd Amendment was taken away from you overnight?.
and you had the same conditions we have here in the U.K. to obtain a licence for guns?.making obtaining say anything above a .22 very difficult to obtain.as it is here in the U.K.?.
Jungleman.

Banning things outright can be hairy. For years I worked as a computer and network engineer . In some places it is illegal to own some of the analysis tools I needed to use on a daily basis. The immediate assumption is that the tools would be used for nefarious purposes rather than the innocuous such as why Brenda can't connect to her email. OK, so no problem. I was a programmer for 10 years so I know how to make an equivalent utility with just a few hours of coding. Do you then ban my utility? Do you ban the class of utility? How about things that weren't intended for that purpose but could be used in the same way? You end with either overly broad laws that are meaningless from a legal standpoint, or thousands of inconsistent laws that are equally impossible to defend from either side of the courtroom.

I carry a lockback folding blade with me pretty much during every waking moment. Am I thinking about using it for robbing a liquor store? Hardly. I use it for things such as sharpening pencils (drawing is a hobby) to cutting rope for lashing palm fronds together to cutting slices of mango from my tree to slicing my morning breakfast of toast and marmalade (usually while walking on the beach). Because of inconsistent laws in my area, I could drive down a stretch of highway and move from legal to illegal three times. A lockback knife is nothing special, but mine is an evil black knife.

Sorry for the rant...

Old 04-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
Banning things outright can be hairy. For years I worked as a computer and network engineer . In some places it is illegal to own some of the analysis tools I needed to use on a daily basis. The immediate assumption is that the tools would be used for nefarious purposes rather than the innocuous such as why Brenda can't connect to her email. OK, so no problem. I was a programmer for 10 years so I know how to make an equivalent utility with just a few hours of coding. Do you then ban my utility? Do you ban the class of utility? How about things that weren't intended for that purpose but could be used in the same way? You end with either overly broad laws that are meaningless from a legal standpoint, or thousands of inconsistent laws that are equally impossible to defend from either side of the courtroom.

I carry a lockback folding blade with me pretty much during every waking moment. Am I thinking about using it for robbing a liquor store? Hardly. I use it for things such as sharpening pencils (drawing is a hobby) to cutting rope for lashing palm fronds together to cutting slices of mango from my tree to slicing my morning breakfast of toast and marmalade (usually while walking on the beach). Because of inconsistent laws in my area, I could drive down a stretch of highway and move from legal to illegal three times. A lockback knife is nothing special, but mine is an evil black knife.

Sorry for the rant...
Hi. Don't be sorry for the rant, I also have one now and then, I find that thats when the truth will out. I like Bushcraft and sea angling, and I have 2 custom made knives, made by a Chris Grant in Scotland,both have a fire steel built into the sheaths, to light fires with. As the blades are over 3.5" I cannot carry them on my belt,in Public, a big no, no, If however, I could prove I was a Commercial fisherman, then it's O.K. It seems the Laws in the U.K. are in a lot of respects as stupid as yours. However as most of our Polititions leave University, and go straight into politics, they have no idea as to what the real world is like. Nearly all our M.P.s are millionairs, so, again, how do they know, even care about Joe Bloggs?.And why, for such a small Island, do we need 650 of them?
OOOOOOOOOOPs just like you, haviing a Rant!!!!

Guilty as charged M'lud!

Jungleman

Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Jungleman, our Bill of Rights does not bestow permissions on us. It acknowledges pre-existing rights all people have that cannot be taken away in the same way no government can ban the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.

Any attempt to disarm the American populace would result in a civil war.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Jungleman, our Bill of Rights does not bestow permissions on us. It acknowledges pre-existing rights all people have that cannot be taken away in the same way no government can ban the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.

Any attempt to disarm the American populace would result in a civil war.
Hi bkt. I know what you mean. It's a shame we don't have the same laws as you in some respects, inasmuch as that an Englishmans home is his castle...until some idiot breaks in whilst the owner of the home is present. There have been many cases over here, when the occupant has given the burglar one hell of a beating. Result?, the burglar has complained, and the Police arrest the owner of the house for using excessive force, to repel the intruder.The owner, by Law must only use as much force as needed to repel the intruder, which poses a problem. The burglar may be in his 20s the home owner in his late 20s or 30s, and has a fairly equal chance of downing the intruder. Second example, same intruder, but homeowner is 60 or 70 yrs old, and in all probability has no chance of using reasonable force to repel the intruder, so why should the same Law be applied in his case?.If somewon is in my house, uninvited, in the middle of the night, I would shoot, knife or club him to death, and sod the consequenses.

Jungleman.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #7

Bravo! Nice bit of conversation with my sunday morning coffee.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadville View Post
Bravo! Nice bit of conversation with my sunday morning coffee.
Hi.I didn't realise that I was having a Right Rant, hope it didn't spoil your Sunday morning coffee

Jungleman.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
Hi bkt. I know what you mean. It's a shame we don't have the same laws as you in some respects, inasmuch as that an Englishmans home is his castle...until some idiot breaks in whilst the owner of the home is present. There have been many cases over here, when the occupant has given the burglar one hell of a beating. Result?, the burglar has complained, and the Police arrest the owner of the house for using excessive force, to repel the intruder.The owner, by Law must only use as much force as needed to repel the intruder, which poses a problem. The burglar may be in his 20s the home owner in his late 20s or 30s, and has a fairly equal chance of downing the intruder. Second example, same intruder, but homeowner is 60 or 70 yrs old, and in all probability has no chance of using reasonable force to repel the intruder, so why should the same Law be applied in his case?.If somewon is in my house, uninvited, in the middle of the night, I would shoot, knife or club him to death, and sod the consequenses.

Jungleman.
Are Brits still allowed to own shovels and bags of lye?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 907 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Just bury the intruder in the garden and plant a fruit tree over him. Since no one knows he is there and probably wont be missed, why bother to annoy the police and the prosecutors.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.