Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Help With Research Paper (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/help-research-paper-29676/)

huckleberry 07-25-2010 06:37 PM

Help With Research Paper

Hi everybody. It's been a while since I've posted on here. I'm doing an argumentative essay for my college English class on gun control. I have to cite references and have a "works cited" page and all that good stuff, so I was wondering if y'all could give me some good websites, books, essays, etc. on the subject. I've found some stuff but I knew this would be the place to go. Thanks everyone! Btw, my professor is a big lib, so this should be fun. . .

gorknoids 07-25-2010 06:46 PM

The "Media Items" links contain arguments and judgement. This is a huge decision, and the correct one.
District of Columbia v. Heller, U.S. Supreme Court Case Summary & Oral Argument

skullcrusher 07-25-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huckleberry (Post 320125)
Hi everybody. It's been a while since I've posted on here. I'm doing an argumentative essay for my college English class on gun control. I have to cite references and have a "works cited" page and all that good stuff, so I was wondering if y'all could give me some good websites, books, essays, etc. on the subject. I've found some stuff but I knew this would be the place to go. Thanks everyone! Btw, my professor is a big lib, so this should be fun. . .

This stuff should be easy to find. Can you use news sources? If so, take a look at what has happened in Chicago earlier this year. A city that had a total gun ban but experienced several shooting murders just within the first half of this year.

Check out places that have gun bans like England and Australia. Also, look at "gun free zones" like schools where mass shootings have happened over the years. How many lives could have been saved if trained, armed citizens would have been able to stop the shooters before they either gave up or killed themselves.

For pro-gun control stuff, I have no idea.

lkd 07-25-2010 07:20 PM

Um: Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

kusterleXD 07-26-2010 05:20 PM

This site might also help: Kentucky Coalition to Carry Concealed statistics page. I'd start by comparing and contrasting crime rates of Florida and Australia.

kusterleXD 07-26-2010 05:31 PM

I found this article off of the previously posted website to be chock full of good information (and sources) for your paper: What Gun Controllers Don't Want You To Know.

jeepcreep927 07-26-2010 06:18 PM

Check this out:
AmmoGuide Article Series

I am not sure how you would incorporate the '"LIFE/ DEATH CLOCK" into a paper, but the stats are pretty interesting.

pioneer461 07-27-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belercous (Post 321019)
If we want to eliminate gun violence, we must eliminate all guns, or at least handguns and their ammunition. To do so then infringes upon the rights of lawful and reponsible gun owners who vastly outnumber the crimminals.

Focusing on "gun" violence is a red herring. If in some Utopian society, handguns and ammunition were somehow totally removed, there would remain "long gun" violence. Then Big Brother would have to literally take all long guns away from the Prols.

Then we would have the problem of "knife" violence, which would lead to the elimination of all edged instruments (already being done in England).

After all of the sharp pointy things are rounded up, we would experience an up-tick in "blunt object" violence. Etc, etc.

The problem is violence and it is not just a problem of the United States. Human beings and societies are ruled by the aggressive use of force. Always have been, always will be. Throughout human history, violence has been documented from the beginning, either state violence or individual violence. It would be "nice" if there were no violence in the world, but that is pie-in-the-sky dreaming. Violence is the nature of not only humans, but with many other creatures as well. About the best we can do is take steps to protect ourselves, our families and in a larger context our community and our nation.

I reject your focus on handguns as blaming the tool for the sins of the user. Handguns, or pistols if you will, were specifically designed and have evolved as last ditch self defense instruments and when compared to long guns, are not very effective.

freefall 07-29-2010 03:43 AM

I worked on an appliance for a lady from Australia. She said "When I was moving to America all my friends said 'My God, you'll be shot! Everyone in America has a gun!" She said, "I tell them, Yes everyone here has a gun and people don't kick in your door and rob you, because they'd be shot! I love it here!"