Help me with a Canadian debate - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Help me with a Canadian debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
I don't know a single mother around here that would just allow their child to be taken without putting up a fight. A fight that would be much easier if the mother was armed with a firearm.
Oh, I agree with being armed. But my wife would have fought like a tiger even unarmed. Those ultra libs though, their mindset is outa wack. I have my doubts about them in the scenario I just described. For years their govt (Canadian) has told the folks that we will take care of you in every way and that kind of thing permeates the minds of the people and individual initiative is destroyed. I know, I have many Canadian relatives. I've seen it. My one cousin just freaked out when she saw my extensive gun collection, as if the things were gonna jump off the rack and injure her.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I'm having a discussion of sorts with a person on a different forum about gun ownership. She is very happy that Toronto (Canada) doesn't have people walking around with guns and claims Toronto has a very low crime rate because of it. I did a preliminary look up and it seems they do have a pretty low crime rate.

But, I know lack of gun ownership does not = lower crime. So, I'm really not sure what the correlation is there.

I notice that Labrador and Newfoundland have a very high rate of gun ownership and their crime rates are low, too.

I'm not a very good arguer. Does anyone have a good place for statistics regarding the Canadian gun control situation?
Although I have not thoroughly researched total crime percentages before or after Canada's handgun ban...I have also wondered the same thing myself.

I once had to travel to Toronto on a business trip and read the local newspapers. I thought to myself..."Well, they have a handgun ban, so should be no murders, eh?" Well, plastered everywhere in the newspaper were stories of violent crime, murders, using knives as the weapon. I never saw so many murder and crime stories using knives.

If there is the will to commit the crime or murder, a criminal will find some "tool" to use as a weapon. Of course the ANTI-DEFENSE, "Ban everything" crowd will just move on to knife bans...this is exactly what is going on now in England. The ANTI's live in teh hopes of realizing an unrealistic ideal of some utopian dream world that is not reality.

It's not about safety...it's about control of the unwashed masses (that's you and me) and the eventual ban of the God-given rights to self-defense. I think if you really did the research, it would be discovered that violent crime in Canada has not reduced...just perpetrating with different weapons.

Regards,

Swampbilly

Last edited by Swampbilly; 09-14-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #13

Default my opinion

She has advanced farther than you and I from an evolutionary standpoint. As we become more civilized and farther from the lions, tigers and bears eating us our self defense mechanisms have devolved because they are rarely or never used. In another 100 years or so your family will probably have the same attitude. Its not your fault you are of the upper paleolithic hunter gatherer mindset and she is in the rennaissance. I'm not poking fun at you as I haven't managed to evolve to that stage of enlightenment either. I'm currently seeking counseling to help me with my current "robbers kicking in my window" phobia. It's like my 45 acp. is my pacifier/blankie or something.....I just can't give it up.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
She has advanced farther than you and I from an evolutionary standpoint. As we become more civilized and farther from the lions, tigers and bears eating us our self defense mechanisms have devolved because they are rarely or never used. In another 100 years or so your family will probably have the same attitude. Its not your fault you are of the upper paleolithic hunter gatherer mindset and she is in the rennaissance. I'm not poking fun at you as I haven't managed to evolve to that stage of enlightenment either. I'm currently seeking counseling to help me with my current "robbers kicking in my window" phobia. It's like my 45 acp. is my pacifier/blankie or something.....I just can't give it up.
Considering that twice in my life, I have had robbers "kick in my window"...I do not consider it a phobia.

Regards,

Swampbilly

Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 AM   #15

Default @ swampbilly

I am terrified and it is a phobia for me......If I could get over it I would relinquish control of my current self defense mechanism (45 acp.). I can't let go, I'm just not capable of being able to deal with a robber kicking in my window without it at this point in time. I'm hoping with counseling I will attain the enlightenment necessary to bring me to the point where I am weapon free.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #16
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10993 Times on 4760 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

So tell me, Mr. Burdock- why do you feel the need to bring up the size of a penis?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

You really should seek counseling.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:03 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you have to get a permit to conceal a hockey stick in Canada?Ehhhhhhhhhhhh
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 09-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #18

Liked 904 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
I'm having a discussion of sorts with a person on a different forum about gun ownership. She is very happy that Toronto (Canada) doesn't have people walking around with guns and claims Toronto has a very low crime rate because of it. I did a preliminary look up and it seems they do have a pretty low crime rate.

But, I know lack of gun ownership does not = lower crime. So, I'm really not sure what the correlation is there.

I notice that Labrador and Newfoundland have a very high rate of gun ownership and their crime rates are low, too.

I'm not a very good arguer. Does anyone have a good place for statistics regarding the Canadian gun control situation?

That's pretty comical.
I have a buddy that lives in Toronto and he flew to Indianapolis last month for the Moto GP race. He showed up early in the day and I got there around mid-afternoon and met him at the bar in a restaurant and about an hour into the drinking we got into the same conversation. The lady to his right and the bartender started to rip him down for it as both of them had a CCP.
We got back to the hotel and our other friend was their who is an Indiana resident with a CCP and had two 45's sitting on the desk in the room.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3585 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
I've decided to let it go. She also claimed that she felt it was best to give a criminal whatever they wanted and just pick yourself up and get over it. Err, can't do that if you're dead. I was really kind of shocked that anyone thought that way - and later, I figured her own comment did her in enough without me pursuing it further.
Classic sheeple mentality. Just give them what they want? What if they want to repeatedly sodomize you and your child, then cut out your kidneys for sale on the black market.

Stupid, weak, people who are incapable of defending themselves then want you to give up your RIGHT to defend your self? Eff-em

Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 424 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Classic sheeple mentality. Just give them what they want? What if they want to repeatedly sodomize you and your child, then cut out your kidneys for sale on the black market.

Stupid, weak, people who are incapable of defending themselves then want you to give up your RIGHT to defend your self? Eff-em
Holy crap! He's back!

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.