Have my rights been violated?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Have my rights been violated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Have my rights been violated?

I took a trip to a local Bass Pro shop on Gurnee, IL today. I went to buy a few boxes of 45 GAP and was declined because I'm a Wisconsin resident!!! I thought there was a mistake because I buy & shoot there all the time. I asked for a manager and was told that Bass Pro will not sell handgun ammo to Wisconsin residents because of WI right to carry!!! I'm appalled! I have no idea how this makes any sense!!!
Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Gurnee is close to Chicago so they are just as anti gun as Chi-Town but that's BS I would be calling the corporate office and getting some clarification on that!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

*shrug* Thanks for the heads-up on Bass Pro Shop. I won't be giving them any more of my money.

What they did was dumb, but it is their right to deny service to anyone for any reason. At least, that's the way it works in a free society. Vote with your wallet and buy elsewhere.

Is it nuts? Sure. Does it make any sense? Nope.

You might consider writing a very polite note to Bass Pro Shops describing your experience and (again, politely) telling them you won't be purchasing from them until they reverse this inane policy.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

No, your rights have not been violated. Their rights have been exercised. If the government told you no, then your rights would have been violated.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
*shrug* Thanks for the heads-up on Bass Pro Shop. I won't be giving them any more of my money.

What they did was dumb, but it is their right to deny service to anyone for any reason. At least, that's the way it works in a free society. Vote with your wallet and buy elsewhere.

Is it nuts? Sure. Does it make any sense? Nope.

You might consider writing a very polite note to Bass Pro Shops describing your experience and (again, politely) telling them you won't be purchasing from them until they reverse this inane policy.

^^^THIS^^^

It also helps if you attach a years worth of receipts from said store to drive home the point.

I was once told by a walmart greeter that "That thing isnt welcome here, neither are you with it!" (speaking to my cc 1911 that lifted up my shirt for a look around)

I sent a nasty, yet polite, message to corporate headquarters with my years receipts (for JUST ammo...but there were various and sundry other merchandise on said receipts)...didnt take 3 days for walmart corp. to issue a heart felt apology and sent out a nation wide letter campaign stating "CCW's are always welcome (where legal) in any and all walmart stores. as the leaders of walmart know that CCW makes their stores safe and makes for a safer experience for their patrons.

I also never saw that particular greeter again....i have to assume he was "relieved of his duties".

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Businesses reserve the right to sell to those they choose and I reserve the right to not give them my business. In a lot of cases the salesperson is usually caught in the middle trying to make a living.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I guess that I wasn't really treated rudely by the staff. I could tell that they were just as uncomfortable telling me this as I was to hear it. I am considering organizing a petition signing against them and mailing it to them with a nice letter. The thing that really got me was that I called their range attendant and he told me that I was allowed to bring my own ammo into the store to shoot (not that I'll go back) and even laughed at the fact that I could still order ammo from them online!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #8

Hello
I do not believe that selling the ammo requires identification or proof of residency.
I buy all my ammo from bass pro.

I'm in California and if California allows it then it's a breeze anywhere else. Lol.

Not familiar with your state laws but I suggest writing a short professional letter to them expressing the past and current situations that you encountered.
If they respond then jump for joy if they didn't then they simply lost a customer.

You may also write a review online

Remember kindness kills better than guns.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliardo123 View Post
Hello
I do not believe that selling the ammo requires identification or proof of residency.
I buy all my ammo from bass pro.

I'm in California and if California allows it then it's a breeze anywhere else. Lol.

Not familiar with your state laws but I suggest writing a short professional letter to them expressing the past and current situations that you encountered.
If they respond then jump for joy if they didn't then they simply lost a customer.

You may also write a review online

Remember kindness kills better than guns.
The great gulag known as Sillinoise is as bad or worse than Commiefornia...****cago is the great liberal bastion of the midwest (not to mention a blight on the otherwise pristine shores of Lake Michigan)

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2134 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 771

That's nuts.

I just picked up several boxes of ammo from Cabelas in Hoffman Estates a couple weeks ago. At least one big retailer in the Chicagoland area has some sense about them.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA