Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Legal and Activism (
-   -   Have handgun, moved to new state? (

Mjclemm 01-09-2012 08:41 AM

Have handgun, moved to new state?
Hello guys. Couple questions I'm sure you all have the answers for. First off, this is a question on IF I did this what should I do? Let's say I bought a handgun at a gun show while I LIVED in Ohio, then six months later I moved to Wisconsin. Can I just go to a local gunshop and register the gun? Go to a police station? Or not worry about it. BUT I am getting a CCW for Wisconsin and I have several differant hand guns. I don't want to get into any trouble if I was to get pulled over or what not. What should I do? I thank you all in advance, Michael

Gatoragn 01-09-2012 10:55 AM


1) Research firearms laws on a specific state's website

2) Contact local law enforcement agency

WI does not have "registration" of firearms, FOID cards, etc.

But WI does have a 48 hour waiting period and a $35 state background check on handgun purchases. :(

therewolf 01-10-2012 07:52 PM


Get a copy of your new state's laws pertaining to guns.

Now while professional LEOs supposedly don't, and can't

"know every law", WE"RE supposed to be experts on the law,

and will be prosecuted as such.

My only issue is, if "Ignorance of the law is no excuse!"

how do LEOs justify not knowing the law??

Cattledog 01-10-2012 08:09 PM

Ditto to all of that so far. The ATF does have one way an individual can ship a firearm across state lines without a an FFL and thats if you're moving. You can legally ship your handgun (2nd day air only) from yourself, to yourself at the new address. Of course check with local laws as they always trump the ATF.

c3shooter 01-10-2012 08:27 PM

On a national, FEDERAL basis, there is no registration of ordinary firearms. If you bought from a Dealer, he keeps a record of the purchase at his shop.

SOME states require registration. Yours is not one. There is no process to 'register" a firearm, and no place to do it.

A FFL may be required when transferring OWNERSHIP across a state line. If you are moving, pack and take it with you.

Mjclemm 01-11-2012 07:31 AM

Thanks a ton.. Yea I wil keep all the info you guys give me and listen to you. I am just making sure I don't get in trouble. Also, I have not taken possession of the guns as of yet, but my father had 3-4 hand guns and 7-8 shotguns and rifles. He willed them all to me and my son. Should I contact a local FFL in Ohio when I want them taken to Wisconsin? There are no exotic fire arms, just pistols like a 1911, model 29 Smith, 629 smith, a Dan & Wesson , a Barretta. For the rifles, 2 16 ga double barrels, 2 12 ga, 1-223, 2 -94 winchesters and 3 22 rifles. So there's no tactical weapons, but 4 bayonets and some other military knives. Thanks for the GREAT INFORMATION. I will use it wisely. Michael.. Thanks guys / gals.

danf_fl 01-11-2012 10:40 AM

If you currently live in OH and take possession of the firearms, Then move to WI, there is no need to contact an FFL.

If you live in OH, move to WI before taking possession, then want to move them, Yes, contact a WI FFL and set up transfer.

c3shooter 01-11-2012 10:51 AM

The one time that a transfer of ownership across a state line does NOT require a FFL, is inheritance. The Executor of an estate can send a firearm to the person it was bequeathed to, so long as they can possess that firearm in their state.

Copy and Paste from Title 18, US Code, Section 922, C 3-
It shall be unlawful...........

(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport
into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person
is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it
maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise
obtained by such person outside that State, except that this
paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires
a firearm by bequest or intestate succession
in a State other
than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or
receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to
purchase or possess such firearm in that State

BTW, intestate (not interstate) means "without a last will and testament".

Rifles and shotguns can be sent to you by UPS, FedEx, or US Mail. HANDGUNS may not be mailed except by dealers, and may only be shipped UPS or FedEx next day air (their policy) it may be cheaper to have dealer MAIL handguns for you (UPS about $70)

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:17 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.