Has anyone joined a local militia? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Has anyone joined a local militia?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

There are a couple small ones in Mississippi and a state militia. I plan to join the state militia before I head off to college (in state). I'll be closer to them.

The term "militia" sure has picked up some negative connotation. Now you say militia, and people don't think "oh, an organized group of americans willing to protected their family, state, and constitution."

Nope. They think "oh a bunch of anti government whack jobs who run around with guns yellin white power."

Each state is pretty much meant to be its own... state. By definition, a state is a "governed entity", so we are individual, yet united. Hence the "United STATES of America."
Sure there is the national guard, but that is a federalize group. A militia is a local group. That doesn't mean that a militia will take the place of the national guard in a scenario, but they are there to help any way they can.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #22

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

There are some pretty wacky people out there calling themselves militia. We can thank the media for a lot of the negative opinions as the overthrow the government guys are the only ones that will get any press.

Truth be told many states have militia that you will probably never hear of or about. They purposely fly under the radar and are not waiting for the end to get their rebel thing on. Many times they are ex military, pretty well trained and armed. They do their thing and no one usually ever knows a thing.
Many of these groups wont openly report to a governor any more than some U.S. military will blindly follow POTUS. Their loyalty is more to state and federal Constitutions then any one man or even the office. As that might be compromised with the very element that one would not want to follow.. If that makes them wacko then I think we should have more wackos.

Now I know that this does not sit real well with some of our more government loyalists but that's simply how it is. Sure, there are some pretty messed up groups out there but they are nowhere near all the same. Personally I would be much more weary of a group that says we report to the governor and so we are legit. I would not trust a militia that said we will report to Jerry Brown and do his bidding. I guess I"m just a wacko....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #23

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
There are a couple small ones in Mississippi and a state militia. I plan to join the state militia before I head off to college (in state). I'll be closer to them.

The term "militia" sure has picked up some negative connotation. Now you say militia, and people don't think "oh, an organized group of americans willing to protected their family, state, and constitution."

Nope. They think "oh a bunch of anti government whack jobs who run around with guns yellin white power."

Each state is pretty much meant to be its own... state. By definition, a state is a "governed entity", so we are individual, yet united. Hence the "United STATES of America."
Sure there is the national guard, but that is a federalize group. A militia is a local group. That doesn't mean that a militia will take the place of the national guard in a scenario, but they are there to help any way they can.
Steer away from that state militia. They've had feds in their group for years trying to bait people into doing illegal stuff, and the command knows it. That's pretty much all they are these days, a sting operation, hell bent on turning law abiding citizens into criminals.

Example? Several years ago they had a range day. A licensed holder of class three firearms (also an agent of the BATF) took some class threes to the range. While there, he got a call that a family member was sick, so he took off to the hospital, leaving his guns with the group to enjoy in his absence.

At the end of the day, two new members were asked to transport them back to the guy's house and wait for someone to come stow them.

They were told to take the trace, as it's the most convenient route to where they were going.

On the way, they were pulled over. By... Guess who? The man with the sick family member in the hospital, along with his buddy who was left at the shoot.

They were charged, but IIRC, the charges were thrown out on entrapment.

The sad thing is, the veteran members seen to KNOW this thing happens within their organization.

You join a group on good faith that your meeting like minded people, then they professionally stab you in the back.

They aren't even very active anymore because of this. I think the last time I saw their page updated was in 2008.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #24

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Steer away from that state militia. They've had feds in their group for years trying to bait people into doing illegal stuff, and the command knows it. That's pretty much all they are these days, a sting operation, hell bent on turning law abiding citizens into criminals.

Example? Several years ago they had a range day. A licensed holder of class three firearms (also an agent of the BATF) took some class threes to the range. While there, he got a call that a family member was sick, so he took off to the hospital, leaving his guns with the group to enjoy in his absence.

At the end of the day, two new members were asked to transport them back to the guy's house and wait for someone to come stow them.

They were told to take the trace, as it's the most convenient route to where they were going.

On the way, they were pulled over. By... Guess who? The man with the sick family member in the hospital, along with his buddy who was left at the shoot.

The sad thing is, the veteran members seen to KNOW this thing happens within their organization.

You join a group on good faith that your meeting like minded people, then they professionally stab you in the back.

They aren't even very active anymore because of this. I think the last time I saw their page updated was in 2008.
That's really messed up. And people wonder why the feds are so untrusted.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 04-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6574 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I suspect that if the Texas militia ever adopts a standard uniform, the shirts will be brown.
Care to explain the brown shirts comment?

The Texas state guard does have a standard uniform. Certain branches of it (maritime) wear a uniform similar to the US Marines, and others (army) wear uniforms similar to what the US Army wears.

I looked into them, and they are actually a very respectable organization. They basically assist in search and rescue, they help when disasters occur (both natural and man made), and a lot of the people involved in it are actually exmilitary who just want to keep doing something productive and helpful.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #26

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Aw crap.
Well, is the south MS militia any good?
I message the state militia last year, and they told me to wait until this year to join (I turn 18 soon and you can be in a militia at 17, but they prefer 18)

Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21905 Times on 12377 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

there are a lot of fringe groups that call themselves militia, and they aren't. many of them are nothing more that wannabe's playing wargames. many of them would piss their pants at the first sight of real trouble.

many states do have honest to God real militias that do a great service in assisting LE and their communities.

hard part is that a person needs to determine the difference in them. also find out where their loyalties are and what their ideology is about.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5955 Times on 3372 Posts
Likes Given: 5534

The Texas State guard is an honorable group of citizens, and what a citizen militia is supposed to be.

BTW, any New Yorkers here, doesn't NY have a State Guard as well? Similar to the Texas Guard as I recall.

Winston Churchill

Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #29

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Texas state guard is a legitimate militia.

Robert, you are wise to avoid groups you are not certain of.

Most so-called militias like the better known Montana and Michigan groups are little more than heavily armed hate groups, and anti American political extremists.
LOL... You must get all your info from rachel maddow, and chris mathews, turn off the MSNBC.....before they complete your conversion to a lefty-govt dependent-commy-sniveling-bedwetter.....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 465 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 142

We have militias here that don't agree with the will of the people and the government elected buy the people. They use violence and the threat of violence to try and get their way. PS We have a different name for them here we call them terrorists.

Closed Thread