Has anyone joined a local militia?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Has anyone joined a local militia?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Has anyone joined a local militia?

I saw online about a local militia group in my area (northern California)
They are all regular citizens who pledge to uphold the constitution and fair government and law enforcement..

Is anyone here on the forum a member of a militia?
If so, what are some of the activities y'all do?
How does one get involved?
Every activity y'all do is legal, I hope?
What exactly do meetings/gatherings look like?
Looking for more info...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21905 Times on 12377 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

peaceful resistance is another method of non-compliance with unconstitutional laws or orders.

getting more people involved with the proper pro-gun groups like the NRA and those in your state are another method of resistance to unconstitutional laws or orders.

we have the sheer power of numbers if we use them.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Bob? Is that you Bob?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5955 Times on 3372 Posts
Likes Given: 5534

We have elections in this country where the majority elects our leaders.

IMHO, joining a so-called militia puts you in the far out anti democracy nutzo group.

If don't like our government, join a political party and work to change it.

People in militias are like pouting children that are miffed because they aren't getting their way.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #5

Liked 1174 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 370

I'm a member of the Maryland Air National Guard... does that count

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

People Like This 
Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #6

Liked 1559 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Every man of military age, in the state of Florida, and many other states, are in a militia whether they know it or not.... Check you state constitutions.

What is the difference between private militias and gangs? Are the the Bloods and Crypts militias? I guess it is a matter of perspective, or semantics.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Every man of military age, in the state of Florida, and many other states, are in a militia whether they know it or not.... Check you state constitutions.

What is the difference between private militias and gangs? Are the the Bloods and Crypts militias? I guess it is a matter of perspective, or semantics.
A legitimate constitutional militia is under the direct command of the elected governor of the state. If it's not under the command of the governor it isn't a true militia. Just a bunch of armed thugs.

Winston Churchill
gr8oldguy Likes This 
Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9172 Times on 3960 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Might I humbly request- nay, IMPLORE that prior to responding in heat to a word or words that you may consider to have an emotional connotation, that you research the term used.

I am a Virginian.

"To be a Virginian, either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above."

The Virginia militia system as a compulsory service composed of the body of the people trained to arms as envisioned by George Mason remained intact until the end of the American Civil War. Reconstruction governments forced upon Virginia an all-volunteer militia system in opposition to Virginia's Bill of Rights. The militia became statutorily composed of the volunteer and the unorganized militia.

In 1971, the Virginia Bill of Rights under Article I, Section 13, was changed to the following by popular vote:

"That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power."
The current Virginia Militia under Virginia Code § 44-1 states "The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of this Commonwealth and all other able-bodied persons resident in this Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least sixteen years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than fifty-five years of age. The militia shall be divided into four classes, the National Guard, which includes the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard, the Virginia State Defense Force, the naval militia, and the unorganized militia."

Permanent faculty members of the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) are normally offered commissions in the naval or unorganized militia of Virginia. The Superintendent of VMI is normally a Lieutenant General of the unorganized Virginia militia unless he or she is a regular US military officer of higher rank. The corps of cadets also serves as cadet members of the unorganized militia. Staff members of the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets also may hold officer appointments in the Virginia Militia, unless they hold higher rank as active or retired US military officers.

Alas, I am NOT a member of the Virginia Militia- I am disqualified on two counts- my age, and that I am a retired officer of the US Army.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #9

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
A legitimate constitutional militia is under the direct command of the elected governor of the state. If it's not under the command of the governor it isn't a true militia. Just a bunch of armed thugs.
as stated in the 2nd amendment........a well regulated militia......was nothing more than a formation of armed citizens who REGULATES themselves into a formidable defensive group..........necessary for a free state
Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
as stated in the 2nd amendment........a well regulated militia......was nothing more than a formation of armed citizens who REGULATES themselves into a formidable defensive group..........necessary for a free state
Under the direct command of the governor of the state, and/or the officers of the organized militia..

Otherwise, they would fall under the proscriptions against private armies. To be a legitimate citizen militia, the members must be a paramilitary organization under the control of a centralized civil authority such as a state governor.

Google the Texas militia. They are a legal, functioning militia unit reporting directly to the governor.

Winston Churchill

Closed Thread