H.R 218 Law Enforcement Safety Act

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > H.R 218 Law Enforcement Safety Act

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default H.R 218 Law Enforcement Safety Act

Have any of you heard of this law. It is a law giving law enforcement employees the right to protect him or her self after work. This law is not for off duty employees to protect the public but his or her self and family.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Nope, but thanks for the heads-up. From here:

Comments, Findings and Actions by Judiciary Committee
June 22, 2004

108 H. Rpt. 560 (Judiciary Committee, June 22, 2004)

Purpose and Summary
4:
· to override state laws and allow retired and active police officers to carry a concealed weapon anywhere within the U.S.
5:
Arguments by Supporters (including Fraternal Order of Police and the Law Enforcement Alliance of America)
· to allow officers to serve and protect regardless of jurisdiction or duty status, and help protect citizens in the wake of a terrorist attack
· to allow retired officers to enjoy the same privilege, because they are just as trustworthy as serving officers
· to allow both current and retired officers to protect themselves and their families.
Arguments from the Opposition (including the Police Executive Research Forum and the International Association of Chiefs of Police)
· State Sovereignty
· Would force all states (even those who do not permit their own law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons) to allow retired officers to carry a weapon

Old 12-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45forlife View Post
Have any of you heard of this law. It is a law giving law enforcement employees the right to protect him or her self after work. This law is not for off duty employees to protect the public but his or her self and family.
Better judged by six than carried by twelve.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I have been qualified for and practice national concealed carry for almost 4 years, under H.R. 218, "The Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act." I am a retired police detective, having spent 30 years on the streets. Most states allow police officers to carry off duty guns and many allow retired officers to carry. HR 218 expands that to nationwide carry, FOR THOSE WHO QUALIFY.

The bill languished in congress for years, and finally passed as a provision of Homeland Security, following Sept. 11th, 2001. The original language included non-police CCW permit holders, but that provision was what caused the hold-up in congress. There were just not enough votes to pass it. The main sticking issue was the individual state's issuing requirements, or lack thereof. Officers who carry under HR 218 are required to qualify annually.

The idea is that with officers traveling to different jurisdictions, our training and experience does not evaporate at the state line, or when we go into retirement. Congress' intent was to have more trained police officers who may be able to make a difference in the event of future terror attacks. That has happened once that I know of so far, at the Trolley Square Mall in Salt Lake City, where an off duty officer from another jurisdiction kept the shooter pinned down until on duty S.L.P.D. officers arrived.

I know of no police officer, or retired police officer who would cower in the face of a situation where he, or she could take out an active shooter. The cowards for the most part, don't make it past their probationary status and get weeded out. If you know of any, let me know.

Whomever you talked with who told you it is for the individual officer's protection only, misled you. Please correct him or her.

You can find more information on the law at the below web site.
http://www.leaa.org/218/index.html

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 12-05-2007, 01:45 AM   #5

Thumbs up

I am a correctional officer in the great state of georgia. Since the law came into effect july 2004 I am been using it. I am not a police officer nor do I have powers of arrest except for with inmates. I have read H.R 218 and gathered my own interpertation of the law that I thought related to correctional officers. But I was not definit, so I went down to my local district attorneys office to get a better understanding since alot of people whom I talked about this law said something different. At the time he never heard of this law, so he looked it up and told me that it did exempt correctional officers from have to have permits. I have always felt that we should be exempt because of the dangers of the job. And since we do have to qualify once a year and have to have manditory training in the use of deadly force and firearm training, and that our lives are in danger once we leave the institution we should be exempt from having to wait two to eight months to carry a weapon of duty. This law is not for protecting the public it is for protecting your self and family members. Because of this law police officers have no more power than they have had before. This law lets law enforcement officers carry their weapons with out having to have a permit in home state and any other state. This law is in conjuction with state laws as well. It is just like having a permit, you still can't a gun in schools, churchs, public gathering federal buildings. Hints the title H.R 218 LAW ENFORCEMENT SAFETY ACT. If I am wrong please show me other wise. In georgia correctional officers are peace officers, but we are not mandated, so we do not have powers of arrest.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I am a correctional officer in the great state of georgia. Since the law came into effect july 2004 I am been using it. I am not a police officer nor do I have powers of arrest except for with inmates. I have read H.R 218 and gathered my own interpertation of the law that I thought related to correctional officers. But I was not definit......

This law is not for protecting the public it is for protecting your self and family members. If I am wrong please show me other wise. In georgia correctional officers are peace officers, but we are not mandated, so we do not have powers of arrest.
Under Georgia law you may be considered a peace officer, but may I suggest you re-read the HR218 statute. It says; `

(c) As used in this section, the term `qualified law enforcement officer' means an employee of a governmental agency who--

`(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;

HR218 does not effect state concealed carry laws.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved