guns in schools?!? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > guns in schools?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 625 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
I believe he never would have committed the crime at the school had he known that there was someone with a firearm at that location to defend the students and
That could be true the problem is that he would just of went somewhere the children were not protected. School bus-shopping mall-and numerous other places were children gather.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #22

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I personally believe that Newtown was possibly a hoax. But that's a conversation for another thread.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
I personally believe that Newtown was possibly a hoax. But that's a conversation for another thread.
Tell that to the grieving parents.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #24

Liked 2051 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau
They don't NEED any more training than anyone else would. More over kill!
Disagree. More training = more effectiveness. If you miss your shot defending inside your home you might shoot the dog, in a classroom? Think about it. These folks can't be fumbling like Barney Fife
Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #25

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter

Disagree. More training = more effectiveness. If you miss your shot defending inside your home you might shoot the dog, in a classroom? Think about it. These folks can't be fumbling like Barney Fife
Agreed. I don't think there are many qualified teachers to be honest, not at all saying there are none but personally with my daughter starting school in the next couple years I'd like to KNOW the people carrying guns around her are sane, trained and experienced.. Nothing trumps experience in a situation like this IMO.. Because if Barney Fife shoots my daughter she will be as injured or dead as if some sociopath shoots her, and I'll be just as pissed and sad.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 327 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Agree with that. The hysteria over guns in Connecticut since the school shooting has many teachers in a panic mode over discussion on this subject. They are concerned that they may at some time be required to carry a weapon that they don't want to be responsible for and they fear unqualified people may overreact in a questionable situation. There are some teachers with law enforcement and military experience that could be trained to perform the security function with some minor additional training. I believe it should be legislated to require an armed security personnel be present in the schools. Ideally, someone in the administrative office would have that training and a weapon for security purposes.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #27

Liked 1190 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 785

I think the idea stated by the OP is an awesome one! I totally agree.

Having said that, here is another take: My wife is a teacher. She thinks this is a horrible idea. To start, she's mostly anti-gun, but she also does not seem to think much of security of any type. One of her points is, "Where are you supposed to conceal it? She thinks that the gun could be potentially taken off the teacher by a student, or if a student gave the teacher a hug, they might realize the teacher has a gun. She also doesn't think much of the "every school should have an armed guard" thing. She doesn't think even cops who patrol schools are armed. Seems to be a can'y have guns around kids theme.

I think these problems could be alleviated by training........

Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 327 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
...or if a student gave the teacher a hug...
Whoa...wouldn't the PC police consider that sexual harrasment?

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2107 Times on 1248 Posts
Likes Given: 1043

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
In the area or fitness and self defense 'something is better than nothing'.
How many people do you know who carry a gun and no idea how to use it in a self defense situation. The anti'gunners are the ones who try to portray 'us' as a bunch of idiots who only carry a gun so we can find someone to shoot. I agree with training IF it is not mandatory as a requirement to exercise our RIGHT!!!
A teacher who is carrying a PPD is all we need. Let then exercise THEIR RIGHT without a bunch of bureaucratic BS!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #30

Liked 1190 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Quote:
Whoa...wouldn't the PC police consider that sexual harrasment?
Ahhh, apparently not. My wife teaches kids 4th grade and under. For them, (the kids) to hand out random hugs, and other physical contact is common.