guns in schools?!? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > guns in schools?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6572 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 6214

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
So....to further back up my point of the general demographic of most teachers....what if only 2 teachers step up out of 50? What if those 2 teachers are a lousy shot....poorly trained....and arent seriously equipped to handle a firearm on their person for the entire school day? Most public schools have a handful of special ed and other kids with difficulties (the "bad kids" who dont have a physical disability just some emotional/mental health issues) and woudlnt think twice about grabbing a gun off a teacher to be the next Adam Lanza? I promise you those kids would seek opportunity.

Its just my personal perspective guys, Im just trying to offer up another point of view thats all. PErsonally, my vote goes to police and military. MAYBE.....just maybe....one or two trained staff who walk around concealed and are readily available but it would have to be 100% classified and only staff should know about it
See post #98 above.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #102

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Ahhhh I didnt see your bottom statement about requiring CCW and a training regiment. I like that idea. Sorry I didnt read your entire post!

I think if a handful of teachers wanna step up and volunteer to carry, they should literally be screened and have to pass tests. If they fail, they can apply again after a short waiting period.

Now we have something to work with

Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #103
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Both Jim, I'm talking STATEWIDE data here.
Most teachers are liberal women who dont shoot and are afraid of guns, period. Not all, but most. And it looks like this (generally) from state to state.
One of the things I have learned from MANY years in LE and the military is 'if you can't reach out and touch it when you need it is useless'!!! Because our teachers are 'there' when seconds count they are to ONLY ones who can make the difference. So all I am saying is we should allow them to exercise their RIGHT to CC and let the chips fall where they may. This is getting way out of hand with everyone thinking they know what is 'best'! To start with it will all boil down to 'funding' and we are broke, so let logic and common scene prevail here and we will all be safer!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #104

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

These ignorant morons need to wake up and fast. They can't and are not willing to protect these children against a single act alone weirdo. How soon they all forgot about 9/11. Homeland security ?? Seems like it is being broadcast to the world how vulnerable these Schools are.

Kimber CDPII Custom Shop 45
S&W M&P 9
Ruger LC9
Ruger LCR 357 Mag.
S&W 686 Stainless 357 Mag.
Dan Wesson 357 mag
Seacamp 32
Browning Buckmark Plus 22
High Standard Duramatic 101
Baretta 950 c 22 short

Old 03-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #105
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrit56880 View Post
These ignorant morons need to wake up and fast. They can't and are not willing to protect these children against a single act alone weirdo. How soon they all forgot about 9/11. Homeland security ?? Seems like it is being broadcast to the world how vulnerable these Schools are.
Your point about it being broadcast to the world is right, and is a major part of the problem. The irresponsible and crooked media sensationalize these events to profiteer on the backs of the victims and their families. That generates another epidemic of the same stuff over and over...

Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #106

Liked 5003 Times on 2427 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
One of the things I have learned from MANY years in LE and the military is 'if you can't reach out and touch it when you need it is useless'!!! Because our teachers are 'there' when seconds count they are to ONLY ones who can make the difference. So all I am saying is we should allow them to exercise their RIGHT to CC and let the chips fall where they may. This is getting way out of hand with everyone thinking they know what is 'best'! To start with it will all boil down to 'funding' and we are broke, so let logic and common scene prevail here and we will all be safer!!!
Bingo!

This thread shows many of us concerned with things like training levels, armed "proffesionals", ECT at a time when our schools suck at there primary mission. I don't care how much resources we flush down the toilet for security, if government hands out dollars, our schools will simply suck at security as badly as they suck at education... AND WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY!

Ending Gun Free Zones and allowing teachers and anyone else to CCW in the Schools is the only immediate solution to the problem.

Common sence would dictate that we already trust our kids to these people for 7 hours per day. Why would not trust these same people to be armed without burdening them with "requirements" we don't need to meet to exercise the same right on a daily basis?

As long as no teacher is forced to carry a gun, as long as it's "voluntary" and anonymous, it will be more effective than what we are currently doing.

Tack

Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #107
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

"Training" should be directly related to the school environment, and dealing with school-related incidents. This would not be about searching a darkened house, nor S.W.A.T. taking down a door and storming into somebody's house. It would be about quickly recognizing a threat, checking the background for innocent bystanders, including the classroom on the other side of the wall, and being accurate enough with the shots fired to hit the perp and only the perp. Training should also include differentiating between a perp who can be overwhelmed, taken down, and restrained without shooting vs one who has to be shot. Other considerations would include setting off an alarm (which should be a possibility in every classroom), getting the kids to cover when time permits, and having a group of the faculty/staff who have a prior agreement to respond as a team to a known intruder. In the case of an intruder suddenly entering a classroom and immediately opening fire, the teacher would have little time to react, as he/she would likely be the first one shot, so part of the training should include timed situations with the "BG" suddenly appearing at the door or window, and the teacher quickly recognizing the danger and quickly drawing and firing. It should also include reacting to shots heard in another classroom and having the response team quickly get to where the shots are coming from and overwhelming the perp.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 03-05-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #108
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 796

Guns in schools are becoming a reality here in Franklin county, NC. We already have over 100 auxiliary deputies. Starting 3/12 we are going to have 10 week classes for auxiliary deputies to patrol schools and other public buildings. I live less than 5 miles from two elementary schools. I have a CWP and I served in the Marine Corps. I will be in the first group to be trained for school patrols. I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #109
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Bingo!

This thread shows many of us concerned with things like training levels, armed "proffesionals", ECT at a time when our schools suck at there primary mission. I don't care how much resources we flush down the toilet for security, if government hands out dollars, our schools will simply suck at security as badly as they suck at education... AND WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY!

Ending Gun Free Zones and allowing teachers and anyone else to CCW in the Schools is the only immediate solution to the problem.

Common sence would dictate that we already trust our kids to these people for 7 hours per day. Why would not trust these same people to be armed without burdening them with "requirements" we don't need to meet to exercise the same right on a daily basis?

As long as no teacher is forced to carry a gun, as long as it's "voluntary" and anonymous, it will be more effective than what we are currently doing.

Tack
I am inclined to agree with you however there are a few bad teachers in every school. Hell, my country @$$ town had problems with teachers sleeping with students, MULTIPLE TIMES!!!!

Our education system SUCKS!!! Teachers like this should not be protected but rather fired! And these teachers exhibit "symptoms" of bad behavior too, just like any of the mass shooters have, just in different ways.

The problem is counselors and principles side with the teacher.

In short, although I agree that in a perfect world there should not be any addition requirements to allow a teacher to CC if they have the legal right to do it, we don't live in that perfect world. Plus, come on, some sort of additional requirements will soften those liberals to our position a little bit.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #110
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
I am inclined to agree with you however there are a few bad teachers in every school. Hell, my country @$$ town had problems with teachers sleeping with students, MULTIPLE TIMES!!!!

Our education system SUCKS!!! Teachers like this should not be protected but rather fired! And these teachers exhibit "symptoms" of bad behavior too, just like any of the mass shooters have, just in different ways.

The problem is counselors and principles side with the teacher.

In short, although I agree that in a perfect world there should not be any addition requirements to allow a teacher to CC if they have the legal right to do it, we don't live in that perfect world. Plus, come on, some sort of additional requirements will soften those liberals to our position a little bit.
Man, that sounds like they'd best arm the students so they can defend themselves against the faculty. Surely the pedophiles would have records that would prevent them from qualifying for CCW. Those pervs should be treated like a clown who graduated from college a couple of years before I did. "He" got a job in a neighboring town teaching in the elementary school. He got caught doing the young boys in the showers (move over, Sandusky). The townsfolk literally tarred and feathered him and rode him outta town astride a utility pole.