guns in schools?!? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > guns in schools?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I'm not too crazy about this idea...at all. Here's why:

You guys gotta remember, we are ALL gun people here. We understand, respect, and enjoy shooting....some of you old timers have been doing this for the majority of your lives! Most teachers are not. They have never owned or fired guns, they just dont fit the general gun demographic....and the idea of forcing teachers to arm themselves is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. I would rather see dedicated police patrols or military guards.

We all know what happens when inexperience meets an adrenaline dump. Shots could ring out in any direction, OR.....fear could paralyze a person and PUT THAT GUN IN THE WRONG HANDS.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #92
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Education in the U.S. already sucks. The teachers are restricted from having discipline in their classrooms. They are forbidden to teach certain subjects. They have to constantly worry about being politically correct. I hope they will not be forbidden the right to defend their own lives and the lives of the kids they are responsible for. The feds are micro-managing every aspect of our lives. And they are incompetent to do that. They can't even agree on a budget.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #93
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post

You guys gotta remember, we are ALL gun people here. We understand, respect, and enjoy shooting....some of you old timers have been doing this for the majority of your lives! Most teachers are not. They have never owned or fired guns, they just dont fit the general gun demographic....and the idea of forcing teachers to arm themselves is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. I would rather see dedicated police patrols or military guards.

We all know what happens when inexperience meets an adrenaline dump. Shots could ring out in any direction, OR.....fear could paralyze a person and PUT THAT GUN IN THE WRONG HANDS.
It should be voluntary on the part of the teachers, not required of them. But so far as using only police officers is concerned, in most states the cost is prohibitive. Also, in the matter of training, look at how often police officers, e.g., NYPD, empty their guns firing at a perp, take out multiple innocent bystanders, and never even scratch the BG.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #94
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:

You are 'prejudging' people here. I personal know teachers, some are family menders and friends, who are probably better equipped to handle a gun in a lethal force situation than MANY on this site. Don't let prejudice cloud your reasoning.
Like I said in my last post, this is a lot to do about nothing!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-05-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #95

Jim, I work full-time for an education association. My mother has also taught for 15+ years. I speak with probably more experience than anyone here on understanding the demographic and the current state of public education.....and with diminishing budgets its about to get MUCH worse over the next 5 years, specially with each new privatized charter school that opens run by complete morons.

You may have a friend/cousin/brother who teaches & enjoys shooting but most public school teachers are democratic, fairly liberal folks who teach because its a selfless job that will never make them a millionaire.....they do it because they love kids and teaching. And most are females (approx 70% in my state) who dont own guns. Period.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Jim, I work full-time for an education association. My mother has also taught for 15+ years. I speak with probably more experience than anyone here on understanding the demographic and the current state of public education.....and with diminishing budgets its about to get MUCH worse over the next 5 years, specially with each new privatized charter school that opens run by complete morons.

You may have a friend/cousin/brother who teaches & enjoys shooting but most public school teachers are democratic, fairly liberal folks who teach because its a selfless job that will never make them a millionaire.....they do it because they love kids and teaching. And most are females (approx 70% in my state) who dont own guns. Period.
Is yours an urban or a rural environment?
And to generalize and say any 'group' is or is not capable of any specific thing is prejudicial!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #97

Both Jim, I'm talking STATEWIDE data here.
Most teachers are liberal women who dont shoot and are afraid of guns, period. Not all, but most. And it looks like this (generally) from state to state.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #98
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6572 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 6214

Quote:

I don't think most of us are in favor of REQUIRING teachers to do anything security wise.

What I do advocate is ALLOWING teachers/administrators who are so inclined, to obtain a CCW and then successfully complete a comprehensive training course, and then carry in the classroom.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 1822 Posts
Likes Given: 2012

If our future is important enough to protect our politicians with armed guards, then it's important enough to protect our children also!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #100

So....to further back up my point of the general demographic of most teachers....what if only 2 teachers step up out of 50? What if those 2 teachers are a lousy shot....poorly trained....and arent seriously equipped to handle a firearm on their person for the entire school day? Most public schools have a handful of special ed and other kids with difficulties (the "bad kids" who dont have a physical disability just some emotional/mental health issues) and woudlnt think twice about grabbing a gun off a teacher to be the next Adam Lanza? I promise you those kids would seek opportunity.

Its just my personal perspective guys, Im just trying to offer up another point of view thats all. PErsonally, my vote goes to police and military. MAYBE.....just maybe....one or two trained staff who walk around concealed and are readily available but it would have to be 100% classified and only staff should know about it