Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Guns in Restaurants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Guns in Restaurants

South Carolina legislature is going to consider allowing CWP holders to carry into restaurants that serve alcohol unless the owner of the establishment prohibits firearms. This law would not make it legal to drink alcohol while carrying, but do you think that CWP holders should be allowed to moderately consume while they carry? Just like driving, guns and alcohol generally don't mix in my mind but others may feel differently about this. What do you all think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #2

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

According to what I herd here in NC, the SC law would make it illegal bottom line. Personally .04 would be a good limit, simply my $00.02.. Doubt VERY seriously the law makers will ever allow any alcohol to be consumed..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 894 Times on 534 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Drinking impairs judgement so i think carrying and drinking don't mix.

There is a valid argument to be made that 1 drink won't affect a persons abilities but I don't care, lines need to be drawn and this one is best drawn at no alcohol while carrying. I see no issue with someone being in a place that has alcohol for sale.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #4

Liked 277 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 456

I don't think that drinking while carrying is a good idea even if legal. First, we are not as careful and not as aware when we are drinking and carrying a firearm is a great responsibility. Second, it would be a propaganda bonanza for the antis. I can hear them now; "Those irresponsible gun people are now getting liquored up and waving their guns around, all decent people in the country are in danger..." and so on and so forth.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Tennessee has a similar law. And the reason you can not drink while carrying is can you imagine the S storm that a slick attorney would make if you had one drink and got into a shooting incident with the liberal AHs out there today. Certainly I would rather be tried by 12 than buried by six. I carry all the time but being of Irish decent and the fact God made us to have a drink. I do carry all the time but would have to be a life or death situation before anyone would ever know that I was carrying. With fully knowing the possible issues that could come up by the use or display of a weapon strict discretion is a must. Mostly I carry due to the fact I as many of you, would not want to ever end up in a situation where I would be present and defenseless and see some wacko shoot innocent defenseless people like fish in a barrel! I probably would not set by anyway but the odds are 100% better with a CCW besides the Spring Assist Tactical Knife I always carry.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

Wyoming allows CCW in restaurants that serve alcohol, but not in bars and saloons that do not serve full meals.

I was very skeptical when this passed, but 20 years later if has not caused any problems.

My gut still says no, but it's hard for my intellect to argue with 20 years of experience.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Alcohol, or any drug, do not mix with firearms. Not under any circumstance. The range, carrying, hunting, or reloading. 0 tolerance. If you think you have a safe limit, you may have to tell it to the judge, and your family.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #8

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I agree, firearms and drugs(alcohol is a drug) do not mix, but to play devils advocate solely for the sake of discussion of course but I always have my pistol with me, on me or close by, even when I'm at a buddies having a drink, or in the car while I'm eating and having a beer with dinner in restaurant or in the car if I'm at a bar on a Sunday afternoon watching football.. So if someone is intoxicated, the time necessary to go to the car and get a gun is really going to make that much difference in someone making a bad decision.
Seriously, these laws or restrictions aren't just for ppl with good intentions IMO, they are more for ppl who may be hot headed when intoxicated..
I guess what I'm getting at is most or the majority of have a gun nearby no matter where we are or what we are doing. I'm sure there are ppl who to themselves 'I'm going out to have a few drinks, I better leave my pistol at home' but I'd wager the majority off ppl take it along anyway..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

My thought would be that if you're going out to have few drinks, leave it home.

if you're going out to dinner, and you normally have a beer or a glass (not bottle) of wine, then no problem,.

To me, this is a common sense issue.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I would be concerned that if I had a drink and then had to use a weapon in defense that the risk of having my judgement questioned or opening myself to a civil suit would be greatly increased. And that's also why I never drink and drive, its just not worth it- the risk for harm is just too great. Again as devil's advocate for sake of discussion- I can see the argument that could be made that if its legal to drive a car at a certain blood alcohol and cognition level then maybe the same standard should exist for CWP. But as I tell my kids "just because you can doesn't necessarily mean that you should."