Guns as gifts? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Guns as gifts?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1955 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Please read post #2 on this thread very thoroughly.

Actually you need to go back and read your own link. It says 'sales'. It does not say anything about gifts!!!! The question is about 'gift' and 'transporting' not sales and shipping!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5686 Times on 3213 Posts
Likes Given: 5076

Jim,

For God';s sake READ 18 USC 922!

Talk to an ATF agent or an attorney!

Winston Churchill

Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

JIM- 18 United States Code, Section 922 a 3

It shall be unlawful-

(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

Nutshell- a transfer between unlicensed persons may only take place between 2 residents of the same state. Any acquisition ACROSS A STATE LINE- other than by inheritance- MUST be received by an FFL in the home state of the recipient.

PS- for the scholars here, "intestate succession" is not a misspelling of interstate. It means a person dies with no will, (intestate) and their next of kin received their property. As opposed to "bequest", which is inherited based on a will.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

locutus Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #24

Liked 980 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 628

What's all this about long guns? The OP is getting a pair of handguns.......

Also, the way I see this is we're not really talking TRANSPORTING here, we're talking TRANSFERRING, 2 different things. And the family inheritance thing doesn't count, since the OP and giver are not related.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So you have point out another one of those unconstitutional laws!
I for one will 'gift' any gun to anyone I chose no mater where they live. If it is unlawful so be it.
Bottom line, another unconstitutional, unenforceable law.
I refuse to play the game. This law does nothing to make this world any safer, it just violates our rights.
If person 'a' travels to another state and person 'b' gives then a gift and person 'a' take it home no one is the wiser. The fact the gift is a gun don't change that!
All laws like this do is make more money for dealers like me, except I do transfers for FREE!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-03-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Balota Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5686 Times on 3213 Posts
Likes Given: 5076

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
So you have point out another one of those unconstitutional laws!
I for one will 'gift' any gun to anyone I chose no mater where they live. If it is unlawful so be it.
Bottom line, another unconstitutional, unenforceable law.
I refuse to play the game. This law does nothing to make this world any safer, it just violates our rights.
If person 'a' travels to another state and person 'b' gives then a gift and person 'a' take it home no one is the wiser. The fact the gift is a gun don't change that!

It sure as hell does in the eyes of the law.

If you don't mind doing some time in a federal pen that's okay. But please don't give out advice that could cause another person to end up in a penitentiary. That's just wrong.

Winston Churchill
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
[/B]

It sure as hell does in the eyes of the law.

If you don't mind doing some time in a federal pen that's okay. But please don't give out advice that could cause another person to end up in a penitentiary. That's just wrong.
WE have been pushed to the limit. If you all want to live by the laws the anti gun progressives have forced on us so be it. I am not going to the back of the bus anymore.
We have allowed this BS for about the last 150 years and it has to stop somewhere. I guess you are all happy with what they have done and will continue do, well I am not and I will live my commitment.
As long as you allow them to take advantage of you they WILL!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #28

I talked to my normal gun dealer who is a FFL and a different one today. Both said that if I were to go to another state I could buy a long gun no problem. Which is stated in one of the links to federal laws someone posted. They also said for the hand guns legally they needed to be sent to a FFL. However as they pointed out with revolvers that old there probably wasn't paperwork pointing to the original owners. So I could easily say they were mine and I brought them with me. However to be within the law I am planning to have them shipped to my FFL.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #29
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7088 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 8583

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
WE have been pushed to the limit. If you all want to live by the laws the anti gun progressives have forced on us so be it. I am not going to the back of the bus anymore.
We have allowed this BS for about the last 150 years and it has to stop somewhere. I guess you are all happy with what they have done and will continue do, well I am not and I will live my commitment.
As long as you allow them to take advantage of you they WILL!
And if you want to break the law and pay the consequences, you go right ahead. We don't condone illegal activity here on FTF.

Closed Thread