Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Guns as gifts?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 675 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 1668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
The uncle may not have lived in the same town as the niece. Uncle may have acquired the guns before moving two hours from an LGS. Maybe uncle was an FFL. Maybe uncle liked to take road trips.

Although in the Alabama I know, I could find many gun shops in a two hour circle. I lived on Sand Mountain for three years, plenty of gun stores there.
I doubt very seriously that one could find a county in Alabama without an FFL somewhere. Many won't necessarily be listed online.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse_rider12345 View Post
I live in Ohio now and I have a friend in Alabama that her uncle just passed away. He was a gun enthusiast with over 300 guns and 200,000 rounds of ammunition. Because of my love of revolvers she is giving me a pair of colt 45s. Will a written statement saying she gave me the guns as gifts be enough if I travel down to visit and drive back home? Just want to be safe if I get pulled over for some reason. Thanks
Yes that is all that is necessary!
Actually no paper is required at all. If you are contacted with a gun and it is not 'hot' (reported as stolen) there is no violation of the law. Some states require you transport it unloaded and in the trunk.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-03-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #13

Liked 816 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 500

I was also under the impression that you cannot generally transfer privately between 2 people who reside in different states......

Old 03-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I was also under the impression that you cannot generally transfer privately between 2 people who reside in different states......
You are correct.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Not true!
Dealers have a restriction, private citizen do not YET!!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5080 Times on 2889 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Not true!

C'mon, Jim! You know better than that.

As a private citizen, who does not hold a FFL, you may not transfer a firearm to a citizen of another state. PERIOD!!

FEDERAL LAW!!!

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Not true!
Please read post #2 on this thread very thoroughly.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

A private citizen may NOT acquire a firearm directly from a private citizen in another state EXCEPT by inheritance. I quoted the Federal law on this. it is 18 USC 922.

The sender does NOT need a FFL to be the shipper, but does need one to be the reciever in your home state. They can send rifles or shotguns to that dealer by US Mail. Handguns may not be mailed EXCEPT by a Dealer or Manufacurer. They can be shipped by UPS or Fedex. The shipper does not need a COPY of the dealer's license, but the dealer's license number.

The sender MAY want to have a FFL ship handguns for them, since it is very expensive to send a handgun by UPS (about $75- must go next day AIR)

To find a FFL near the sender that will do transfers, shipping, follow this link, put in zip code- http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

locutus Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
C'mon, Jim! You know better than that.

As a private citizen, who does not hold a FFL, you may not transfer a firearm to a citizen of another state. PERIOD!!

FEDERAL LAW!!!
Well I have been a dealer for 20+ years and cop for just short of 40 years and I have never seen this law, show me!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
A private citizen may NOT acquire a firearm directly from a private citizen in another state EXCEPT by inheritance. I quoted the Federal law on this. it is 18 USC 922.

The sender does NOT need a FFL to be the shipper, but does need one to be the reciever in your home state. They can send rifles or shotguns to that dealer by US Mail. Handguns may not be mailed EXCEPT by a Dealer or Manufacurer. They can be shipped by UPS or Fedex. The shipper does not need a COPY of the dealer's license, but the dealer's license number.

The sender MAY want to have a FFL ship handguns for them, since it is very expensive to send a handgun by UPS (about $75- must go next day AIR)

To find a FFL near the sender that will do transfers, shipping, follow this link, put in zip code- http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx
We are not talking 'sending', we are talking about transporting a firearm. Long guns can be send to private citizen to private citizen by the USPS legally.

Closed Thread