Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Guns acquired without background checks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

At least half of my guns have been transferred--bought or sold--without a background check. A bill of sale between two law-abiding citizens in a parking lot is deeply American.

I am STRONGLY against universal background checks.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
dango Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #22

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

The only non FFL guns I have bought was an ak47 and a kel tec p11 both are gone now I like buying new just because I know what's been done to the guns I have several rancher buddies and I would never want to buy a gun from them you'd think they sell em for 5 by kid at the corner store way they treat their guns

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Last edited by gearhead396; 03-22-2013 at 12:13 AM.
dango Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #23

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've bought both ways. I have several I have acquired in trades and traded some off as well. These transactions are with people I know personally with the exception of my now and then trips to hang out with the old farmers that frequent a local eatery here in my tiny town. And my wife's grandfather knows those that I might not yet. Guns and knives are all over the place at these events. Show me a small local restaurant or stock yard in my part of Ky and I'll show you a gun and knife show going on. It's always gone on and probably always will. It's a country thing. I'm sure it happens all over in rural areas. Now you wont see the latest in tacticool but some good old rifles and pistols are always around. And that happens to be my niche. If I want something more than I see in these places I go to a couple shops local to me where all the new cool stuff is. And even there there are trades to be made. But the FFL paperwork will be done of course.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

dango Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #24

Liked 913 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Seems to me that what O'Bama was saying is 40% of CURRENT gun transfers are done w/o BG checks. Not including pre-brady bill. I would say this would be an unprovable statement. And as such, a big pile of BS.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Seems to me that what O'Bama was saying is 40% of CURRENT gun transfers are done w/o BG checks. Not including pre-brady bill. I would say this would be an unprovable statement. And as such, a big pile of BS.
And you believe anything that comes out of his mouth? If he says 40%, I would believe 5%. And maybe .05% are illegal transfers. Universal background checks solves NOTHING!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2926 Times on 1681 Posts
Likes Given: 17355

Entitlements , do they offer FACE HIGH waders........? Crap IS getting deeper..!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #27

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
40% seems awfully high. But sure it happens. Adding a universal check system will not do a thing and there is no way to monitor it. Unless perople are doing it with brand new guns and I really would not think too much of that happens as it is now. Check out any of the facebook trader pages. All kinds of old stuff but some new stuff? Next to never. And I would be very suspicious of those kinds of deals anyway.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

dango Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #28

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie

40% seems awfully high. But sure it happens. Adding a universal check system will not do a thing and there is no way to monitor it. Unless perople are doing it with brand new guns and I really would not think too much of that happens as it is now. Check out any of the facebook trader pages. All kinds of old stuff but some new stuff? Next to never. And I would be very suspicious of those kinds of deals anyway.
Take that 40% number with more than a grain of salt. That exact percentage was quoted by the Assembly here in New Jersey despite the fact that gun shows are not permitted here. As for private sales, though they are legal every handgun sale must be accompanied by a permit to purchase, which requires a background check. In short there are few, if any firearm transaction occurring in New Jersey without a background check let alone 40%. It's simply a focus group tested number that they can throw around...it may sound reasonable to the ill-informed but it has no basis in fact.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

People Like This 
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #29

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

40% seems like a huge number to me. I have bought guns through dealers with a background check. I have also bought from private parties without a background check. That is legal where I live. I currently own around 30 guns. I would say close to 90% were done with a background check.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #30

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why would any gun owner answer questions like? How many times have you committed a Federal Felony?

prison.jpg