Guns acquired without background checks. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Guns acquired without background checks.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 11,101
Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

Default

Would it be safe to say that our administration has been stating an unproven fact?
__________________
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
danf_fl is online now  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,835
Liked 3453 Times on 1777 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default

I have a number of guns that I purchased at FFL dealers BEFORE the Brady bunch bill required NICS checks. I have a few that were private sales and a couple of gift/give away guns.

If only 60% of the guns in circulation today were purchased post Brady, then yes the other 40% were transferred w/o background checks.
__________________
In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball
robocop10mm is offline  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 11,101
Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

Default

Is there a way to gather data without nosing in someone's personal info?

How would one go about saying "On this day in January 2010, 1200 firearms were transferred through an FFL holder and 300 firearms were transferred without a background check" and being able to prove it?
__________________
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
danf_fl is online now  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rachilders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 343
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I have been been given guns as gifts, and those were transfered to me without an FFL. All of the guns I have bought have been through an FFL... (snip)
Pretty much the same for me. ALL guns I've purchased though dealers or retailers have been done using the proper paperwork and required backround checks. OTOH, I have purchased a few firearms from individuals I know as well as sold a few over the years and no background checks were done (or required) since they were "private" sales. FYI, would I buy a gun from someone I don't know personally... maybe. Would I sell a firearm to someone I don't know... no.
__________________
"... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Last edited by rachilders; 03-21-2013 at 10:30 PM.
rachilders is offline  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Daoust_Nat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando,Florida
Posts: 2,259
Liked 1377 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default

I have bought and given my daughter two guns without FFL. She does however hold a Florida CCW, so I am pretty sure we don't need to worry about her being not allowed to have the guns.

Actually, I got one of them back when I bought her the second one........but I guess that doesn't count.
__________________
A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!
Daoust_Nat is offline  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,154
Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have a number of guns that I purchased at FFL dealers BEFORE the Brady bunch bill required NICS checks. I have a few that were private sales and a couple of gift/give away guns.

If only 60% of the guns in circulation today were purchased post Brady, then yes the other 40% were transferred w/o background checks.
I had not considered life before Brady. I bought my Mossberg shotgun in 1995, and I remember only filling out a small yellow card when I bought it at the gun&pawn. I suppose that was before Brady went into effect? Either that, or that card has been SERIOUSLY revised into the current multi-page form.
__________________
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
orangello is offline  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 11,101
Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
She does however hold a Florida CCW, so I am pretty sure we don't need to worry about her being not allowed to have the guns.
I have had "delay" on one CWP holder. It was cleared within 48 hours, but background check still has to be done in Florida. The CWP only by-passes the 3 day waiting if the NICS comes back approved.
__________________
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
danf_fl is online now  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

of all my firearms, only a couple were done in private sales or trades. all the rest have gone through an FFL.

IMO, i don't think they could accurately estimate the number of legal private sales, done without going through an FFL.
Axxe55 is offline  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,978
Liked 4442 Times on 2463 Posts
Likes Given: 22372

Default

Well , under the new (Feinstein)friendly , Patriot Act approved , for "YOUR SAFETY" , and whom would no better what is "GOOD" for us than ole UNCLE BOLSHEVIK SAM..?
Tis your honorable "DUTY" to inform said officials of ALL firearms , ammo , purchases via , a smiley face post-card along with SS No. , Pictured ID , Address , Stool and Urine samples , finger prints and ALL other pertinent info !

THANK and YES , we are watching..!
dango is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chrishiggin29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 115
Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

Default

I've only bought 1 gun in a private sale. All the rest at LGS
__________________
RRA Predator Pursuit 20"
RRA Entry Tactical
G21SF,G23,G27
10/22, MKII
chrishiggin29 is offline  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
History of Background Checks Sniper03 Legal and Activism 4 03-14-2013 02:51 PM
Background checks kirbinster Legal and Activism 2 02-23-2013 02:10 PM
FFL perform background checks as 3rd party? TNathe NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 11 01-22-2013 03:54 PM
Universal Background Checks? Tackleberry1 Legal and Activism 6 01-12-2013 12:09 AM
CCW bypasses background checks blucoondawg Legal and Activism 35 05-01-2012 02:08 AM



Newest Threads