Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Guns acquired without background checks. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/guns-acquired-without-background-checks-87111/)

danf_fl 03-21-2013 09:28 PM

Guns acquired without background checks.

I am curious how many have purchased guns without background check done by an FFL versus those with background checks.

I am not asking for names, but am looking for a way to compare our data to the 1997 "40%" data quoted by our President and Vice President.

http://news.yahoo.com/guns-acquired-without-background-checks-160136392.html

Any suggestions on how to capture the data?

dango 03-21-2013 09:31 PM

Criminals do it all the time.! I've never had to , always legal,,! ;)

Just get stats on criminal activities , good place to start..! :confused:

TruggieTex 03-21-2013 09:36 PM

Confused...

When the sale is to a buddy, relative, co-worker...etc....both parties have to visit an FFL?
Pretty sure that ain't happening!

texaswoodworker 03-21-2013 09:41 PM

I have been been given guns as gifts, and those were transfered to me without an FFL. All of the guns I have bought have been through an FFL. I would buy a gun from someone without an FFL, but if I would probably either get a copy of their DL, or go through an FFL anyways.

WebleyFosbery38 03-21-2013 09:48 PM

Every weapon I ever bought was a private sale or inherited, 100% non FFL'd as long as Ive owned them. Every gun I have is still legal in NY (Barely). I always thought my buddies with the cool guns were the lucky ones, now they think I am. Andy won the battle by attacking us like a coward does but he shall not win the war.

As a old friend of mine used to say," I cant stop you from trying but I can damn sure break you of the habit".

danf_fl 03-21-2013 09:48 PM

"In a Jan. 16 speech on gun violence, President Barack Obama, for example, claimed that “as many as 40 percent of all gun purchases are conducted without a background check.” The president’s gun-control plan, “Now Is The Time,” also says that “studies estimate that nearly 40 percent of all gun sales are made by private sellers who are exempt from this requirement.”

Just how accurate is the 40%? How would you determine what percentage has been conducted without a background check?

The 40% quoted does not indicate whether the buyers are legal or not. Exempt could include those buyers that can "claim the 5th amendment".

dango 03-21-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1185189)
I have been been given guns as gifts, and those were transfered to me without an FFL. All of the guns I have bought have been through an FFL. I would buy a gun from someone without an FFL, but if I would probably either get a copy of their DL, or go through an FFL anyways.

Green with envy here , nobody ever gave me a gun or ammo , just cologne..! :mad::D What , whaaaaat..? I smell a-foul..? :confused:

orangello 03-21-2013 09:52 PM

Wasn't there a poll on this before, or was that on TFL?

Regardless, I have a few firearms that I legally purchased without being required to do the NICS background check. I've bought a few at gunshows from non-FFL individuals and a few that were given to me. All legal, and I did pass the NICS background check for the GP100 & CZ75b purchase a couple of years ago.

At the gunshow purchase on my SKS, dude did ask to see an in-state ID and did ask if I was prohibited or had a felony.

dango 03-21-2013 09:55 PM

OK , more specifically , (HAND GUNS) , where do we stand there..?

orangello 03-21-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango (Post 1185215)
OK , more specifically , (HAND GUNS) , where do we stand there..?

My most recent acquisition was a gift from my dear sweet mother, purchased from Goosebump's house of Grift AKA GanderMounting.