Gun Rights Protest Day October 19th 2013 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun Rights Protest Day October 19th 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #41
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8845 Times on 5120 Posts
Likes Given: 11573

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I agree, to an extent.

My rights DO trump your comfort. (not that you should do something like that, but you should have the right.) My rights end where your rights begin. As long as my rights are not directly violating your rights, there shouldn't be a problem.

Examples of one person violating another persons rights would be murder, rape, theft, and intentional harassment.

I see carrying a long gun or a hand gun in general as your right.

I don't see carrying a long gun or a and gun with the INTENT to harass citizens and law enforcement as your right. I see that as a violation of their rights.

Note, the key word here is intent. This means that it does not apply to the person carrying a gun for protection that happens to make a few people nervous just by his presence. It applies ONLY to those who intentionally (premeditated) go out into the world WANTING to stir up trouble.

As said before, there is a VERY fine line here. That line is intent.
Its not a fine line, it is a wide grey area. You cannot establish intent if the person is not compliant. You often hear about the guy who gets the "hero complex" (George Zimmerman was accused of this) and gets into a situation, purposely escalating it so that they can be seen as the hero.

If you watch the countless videos of people confronting police with open carry, many of them have the same mindset if you ask me. But they deny it at every turn.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In America we have many unique rights. These were provided for us to live free and prosper. The Founding Fathers lived in a time when respect for others was a preeminent measure of a citizen. We are a far more course society today. The facts remain how ever personal discretion will determain how long you are allowed to enjoy a right.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #43
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1102 Posts
Likes Given: 9918

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
All the malls I've ever been to are posted "no firearms" this is private property they can do what they want. Not one of these guys protesting has ever put on a ski mask and went to a mall. They are all walking down the street. If I'm uncomfortable with it, that's my problem. If they do go to private property that is posted then arrest them for trespass. My comfort has no bearing on your rights. Hell I'm not comfortable with most of what the left says but it's their right to say it. If we use your logic then obama can't give anymore speeches because I'm not comfortable with it. What if a judge decides he's not comfortable with your 5th amendment right? What if the cops aren't comfortable with getting a warrant and knocking on your door? Your second amendment rights aren't or at least shouldn't be any different from the rest of your rights. I'm not willing to give up any of my rights just to make someone comfortable, are you?
Guess I wasn't quite done with this thread after all.

RJD. Here in my region of NY, 3 of the local malls have firearm retailers in them. granted, they are of the BBS variety, and are very over priced, but they do not have signs forbidding CCing on any of the doors. For as cr@ppy as our state's gun laws are, the laws on CCing are very liberal. And no, I don't mean as in the political view point of a liberal politician. OCing is not allowed at all, and you can be charged with brandishment. The only 2 exceptions are at the range, and while afield during firearm hunting seasons.

At least one of these malls is right on the southern end of 2 of the county's snow machine trails, so guys walking in with heavy coats and face masks? Not just possible, probable. How many oif us that ride the trails are CCing while out there? More than people think. Some of us run trap lines up there as well. granted, the mall in this example is located just over the city line, and most of the customers and staff live out in the "sticks". Seeing a trapper stop into Sears to pick up a set of wrenches to fix something on his\her snow machine, with a .22 over his\her shoulder is not unheard of during the months of furbearer seasons. IOW, well within the realm of possibilities in my area. Not the same in your area, see your state's laws.

Now, would I OC in one of the malls in Buffalo NY? Not a chance. First, it would create a public panic, and secondly, if something was going down, I would be one of the first targets. Compliance with the law, tactical advantage, and I am not disturbing the sheeple who are rushing to the GAP for the sale on skinny jeans. However, there are no signs on any of the mall entrances that state or imply NO concealed carry beyond this point, and 2 of them have the above mentioned firearm retailers inside of them. I do agree that everyone, nation wide should have the clearly stated right to OC if they choose to, and that OCing is perfectly acceptable in many cases. However, doing so in some other places is not asking for trouble. It is BEGGING for it.

What i have posted in my previous post and in this one is not to troll or flame. It is a mix of facts that apply in my area, and of my own observations and opinions. Not picing a fight here, just explaining my earlier post. BTW RJD. Good post, and some great food for thought there.

Edit: Replace 2A rights with 1A rights for the sake of argument. Under the 1A, a preacher would have the right to stand on the sidewalk or ROW in front of your house, and preach to his congregation at 03:30. Are you not stepping on his freedom of religion and speech when you call the cops to stop him from doing so? Who is right? Who is wrong? OCing in some public places, while it may technically be legal, is kind of ill advised. that is all I was trying to say. Why do something that could bring you trouble, and could possiblely create a new BS gun control law that will only affect those who wish to stay legal instead of the real problem? As I stated above, just some more food for thought.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Last edited by kfox75; 09-11-2013 at 07:22 AM.
rjd3282 Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #44

Liked 2787 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 2665

That's why I like talking to you Kfox. You took my post in the spirit it was intended. Just like you I only intend to get people to think. Thank you for a perfectly reasonable response. There is probably a local noise ordnance to stop anyone from disturbing any body's sleep but he could preach during the prescribed hours. Now if we could get the Harley riders to obey noise ordnances.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #45
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1102 Posts
Likes Given: 9918

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
That's why I like talking to you Kfox. You took my post in the spirit it was intended. Just like you I only intend to get people to think. Thank you for a perfectly reasonable response. There is probably a local noise ordnance to stop anyone from disturbing any body's sleep but he could preach during the prescribed hours. Now if we could get the Harley riders to obey noise ordnances.
Thanks man.

I know all about the 05:00 HD roar. next door neighbor has a Street Glide, and he leaves for his job in Orchard Park at about that time. During the summer months, I don't need an alarm clock.

Now if I could just get him to change his leave time to about 10:30 life would be great.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

rjd3282 Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #46

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

For whatever its worth I would like to apologize for some of the things I said earlier in this thread. While my opinions on many things stand such as the fact many in our government should be tried for treason, in the future I will attempt to get my points across in a less abrasive manner.