Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Gun Registration Access (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/gun-registration-access-60095/)

Battletested 03-12-2012 11:36 PM

Gun Registration Access

Greetings Fellow Gun Enthusiasts, I'm wondering if someone can answer a question for me. I was curious to know who has the ability to reference what type of firearms and how many that I have registered in my name. In this current state of economy, my concerns are that if someone can access that information they know what I own and can break in and steel my weapons.This might seem like a silly question to you, but I'm just concerned about protecting my investment. I Live in Florida, in case that matters. Thanks.

bkt 03-12-2012 11:38 PM

Some locales publish the names and addresses of folks who have registered firearms, and those are almost always handguns. Your concern is not crazy - a lot of people are worried. Specific information isn't listed, based on what I have seen. Just that "so-and-so has a permit and thus-and-such address".

There are no published lists (that I know of) for folks who have filled out 4473 forms.

opaww 03-12-2012 11:41 PM

Unless you registered them yourself or your state requirest it when you buy one then none of the weapons you own are registered and no lists exists

mountainman13 03-12-2012 11:58 PM

If you purchase a gun at an ffl the FBI reserves the right to go through the 4473s. If you use a credit card or order anything online than there are records and places like Google or Walmart reserve the right to sell your information.

bkt 03-13-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 738241)
If you purchase a gun at an ffl the FBI reserves the right to go through the 4473s. If you use a credit card or order anything online than there are records and places like Google or Walmart reserve the right to sell your information.

But in any state where FTF sales are legal this really doesn't matter.

Battletested 03-13-2012 12:14 AM

Thank you very much for the info guys. Much appreciated.

wjnfirearms 03-13-2012 02:20 PM

Onr thing that most people don't know is that in states where you only have to fill out the 4473 for sales, the form does not leave the FFL until he closes business for good. Then they have to be sent to the ATF for permanent storage. Unless there needs to be an inquiry about a particular sale for reason, the info on the 4473s goes no further than where you bought it. Now, in some states where another form is needed for handgun sales, like here in Pa., there is another record that is in the hands of some authority. Still, it is supposed to be illegal to have registries of firearm sales. When states have additional official records of firearm sales of any kind, like here, you begin to wonder about that.

They won't give us dealers access to stolen firearm databases so we can do the right thing, but have additional records of legitimate purchases. Go figure.